Samsung Galaxy S: One size fits all?

diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
I believe the Galaxy S is not only very capable hardware, it might end up being the most hacker friendly handset around...

It comes in few form factors, one of them being almost a copy of the iPhone (doesn't Apple have a design patent for it?)
Samsung Fascinate review -- Engadget
and others not so much
Samsung Captivate gets GPS fix, other Galaxy S versions wait patiently -- Engadget

Yesterday Samsung also released a WP7 version of the Galaxy S resembling the curvy forms of Epic 4G (sans keyboard).
Samsung Focus first hands-on! -- Engadget

What would be interesting to know is how much the internal hardware differs in those handsets.
My first guess would be not much at all and that would mean you should be able to easily switch between Android and WP7 ROMs...:)
If carriers offer their WP7 handsets for a discount (compared to their Android counterparts), why not get those and put Android on them?
Or vice versa...

As soon as the XDA-Dev guys have extracted the final WP7 image from real shipping handsets, that is.

Why not try it even if only because it can be done...

Diogen.

I believe the Galaxy S is not only very capable hardware, it might end up being the most hacker friendly handset around...

It comes in few form factors, one of them being almost a copy of the iPhone (doesn't Apple have a design patent for it?)
Samsung Fascinate review -- Engadget
and others not so much
Samsung Captivate gets GPS fix, other Galaxy S versions wait patiently -- Engadget

Yesterday Samsung also released a WP7 version of the Galaxy S resembling the curvy forms of Epic 4G (sans keyboard).
Samsung Focus first hands-on! -- Engadget

What would be interesting to know is how much the internal hardware differs in those handsets.
My first guess would be not much at all and that would mean you should be able to easily switch between Android and WP7 ROMs...:)
If carriers offer their WP7 handsets for a discount (compared to their Android counterparts), why not get those and put Android on them?
Or vice versa...

As soon as the XDA-Dev guys have extracted the final WP7 image from real shipping handsets, that is.

Why not try it even if only because it can be done...

Diogen.

Samsung WP7 phone is using the same hardware as the android counterpart, the sad part is HTC has recycled the HD2 again with their WP7 phone.
Why not use the Scorpion CPU instead of the power hungry and older Snap dragon

I thought more in terms of WiFi radios, sensors, graphics subsystem, etc.
There is not so much variability in CPUs themselves on smartphones.
But the rest of the hardware most of the time is the reason for sub-par experience installing other OSs.
Case in point: Android on iPhone.

If Galaxy S handsets have the same hardware all around (with a given carrier) then switching OSs will be much easier...

Diogen.

I thought more in terms of WiFi radios, sensors, graphics subsystem, etc.
There is not so much variability in CPUs themselves on smartphones.
But the rest of the hardware most of the time is the reason for sub-par experience installing other OSs.
Case in point: Android on iPhone.

If Galaxy S handsets have the same hardware all around (with a given carrier) then switching OSs will be much easier...

Diogen.

The galaxy s line are all have the same internal except the US vendors decided to have the front facing camera's removed except for the Galaxy S Pro phone.

The galaxy s line are all have the same internal except the US vendors decided to have the front facing camera's removed except for the Galaxy S Pro phone.
Well, in this case bypassing DRM (if any) will be the only problem to take care of while switching OSs...

Diogen.

Last edited:
You could be right.
HTC HD7 gets its .bins all in a tizzy, custom ROMs up next? -- Engadget

Now just wait for a good discount on the HD7, and replace WP7 with Android...:)
We're not quite there yet but getting really close...

EDIT: The linked article actually talks more about switching ROMs between different hardware/brands.
But is certainly a move in the right direction...

Diogen.
I read this yesterday. HTC doesn't mind the open source community but Motorola and Samsung sheesh

Now let's hope LG can make next year as big a jump in the smartphone market as Samsung did this year.
And they are off to a good start
Live from LG's CES 2011 press event -- Engadget

Leaving aside the fridges and ovens that text you and washer/driers with tablets - will be of great
interest to those using iPads to play piano in four hands, I guess - the Optimus Black looks really good
LG announces super slim Optimus Black with NOVA display -- Engadget

I hope this renewed competition will bring lower prices and unlocked phones...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)