Samsung is unlikely to abandon the OLED TV market

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
While I agree that LG is currently leading the OLED TV market (I have already posted on this in January), it hardly seems as if Samsung abandoned OLED TVs. In fact, the original Korea Herald article (which spurred all those other posts) said that "Samsung is not scheduled to unveil curved OLED TVs this year because of its continued focus on UHD TVs and its low yield rate". While this may be true, it does not mean that the company completely stopped developing OLED TVs.

Back in January, a Samsung executive was quoted saying that OLED manufacturing issues have been more significant than previously though and that cheap OLED TVs are still 3-4 years away. So this isn't news at all, and I simply can't imagine Samsung's withdrawal from the OLED TV market.

I just keep hoping my VT50 holds out a couple of years.

http://www.oled-info.com/samsung-un...nfo+(OLED-Info:+OLED+tech+news+and+resources)

Sammy's not going anywhere. Their RGB system has some advantages over LG's "white" OLED system.

I give it until Christmas 2015 for someone to get decent numbers of OLED TVs on the market. Yes, they'll still be expensive, but not super rich only expensive.

If this doesn't happen, I suspect OLED's "window" will have passed and it will never dominate the market. There are other technologies out there- OLET, for one.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

The only problem I see is less and less company's can continue to fund R&D for these types of things. Gonna need new players in the market.

I still think 2015 OLED's will be brutally expensive in a time where people arent spending that money like where. Even blu-ray players arent moving as quickly. I think folks have bought into 1080p HD and arent in any hurry to move forward.

Yes, the replacement market isn't so hot. There is still a steady trickle of folks leaving SDTVs, but they are hardly the market for expensive TVs. There's got to be a WOW factor and approachable pricing to get the technology going. If they haven't proven they can manufacture OLED TVs in mass market numbers by the end of 2015, I daresay most folks willows interest.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

If they figure out the OLED issues, it should be serious competition for the LCD market. It could end up being like plasma, or it could pass LCD. I think it will take 5+ years to truly know if they can get the yields up and costs down to be serious competition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts