Samsung TXP2670WH - QAM Firmware

ravma479

Original poster
Aug 1, 2004
I read some of the previous posts regarding this TV, and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get the firmware for my TX-P2670WH? I'm trying to enable QAM support.

I have this TV what is QAM support?

ravma479 said:
I read some of the previous posts regarding this TV, and I was wondering if anyone knew how I could get the firmware for my TX-P2670WH? I'm trying to enable QAM support.

I have the QAM firmware update for the TX-P2675WH. Offhand, I do not know if there are any internal differences between the two sets, however I do recall someone having a TX-P2670WH tried running upgrade on his set and had unfavorable results. :(

QAM is the encoding/formatting scheme used by almost all Cable Companies. QAM can carry analog and digitally encoded information. This is basically your Cable TV port that is used to connect your set to your Cable Company via the coax cable. Initially, the TX-P2675WH was advertised as being "Digital Cable Ready" meaning is will tune digital cable channels that are in-the-clear or unencrypted. However, when the set came out it could only tune analog Cable TV channels. Hence, the QAM Firmware Upgrade will enable the set to tune digital cable channels. Why is this important? Simple, most if not all Cable providers send their network HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, etc.) in-the-clear. I believe this is mandated by the FCC. Anyway, just as long as you maintain a basic cable subscription, you should be able to watch your network HD channels without paying additional fees. This will not enable you to watch digital or premium channels like HBO since they are encrypted - you will need a Set-Top-Box or CableCard to view them.

These sets (at least the 2675) also has integrated NTSC (analog) and ATSC (digital) tuner so you watch free over-the-air network programing (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) using a simple VHF/UHF antenna...just plug the antenna into your VHF/UHF/TV port. This feature works fine without the QAM upgrade.

If you want the the QAM Firmware, just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will sent it your way. Warning: this firmware was sent to me to upgrade my TX-P2675WH, so don't apply it unless you have verified it will work on your TX-P2670WH. Also, while this is a pretty easy and straight forward process using a laptop and a RS-232 cable, don't try it unless you have read the instructions and feel comfortable performing the upgrade.

Qam

I see Qam when I auto program my channels but I do not get any HD.
I enable it but no HD
Does the cable company have to know?

talrudeboy said:
I have this TV what is QAM support?

Most, but not all, cable companies send the network digitals (HD) in the clear. You may wish to check the Cable Forums or even the HDTV "In You Area" Forums over at AVSFORUM.COM.

Are you sure your set supports digital QAM. Like I mentioned, other than cosmetics (slightly different shape and placement of the speakers) I'm not aware of the differences between the TX-P2670WH and TX-P2675WH. Any take a look at: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=39004&highlight=tx-p2670WH

I upgraded my TV and it worked!

Hey thanks for the firmware. It Works on a TX-P2670WH!

I am on Cablevision.
Made myown cable and it did not require a Null cable.
Thanks again for the Firmware.

riffjim4069 said:
I have the QAM firmware update for the TX-P2675WH. Offhand, I do not know if there are any internal differences between the two sets, however I do recall someone having a TX-P2670WH tried running upgrade on his set and had unfavorable results. :(

QAM is the encoding/formatting scheme used by almost all Cable Companies. QAM can carry analog and digitally encoded information. This is basically your Cable TV port that is used to connect your set to your Cable Company via the coax cable. Initially, the TX-P2675WH was advertised as being "Digital Cable Ready" meaning is will tune digital cable channels that are in-the-clear or unencrypted. However, when the set came out it could only tune analog Cable TV channels. Hence, the QAM Firmware Upgrade will enable the set to tune digital cable channels. Why is this important? Simple, most if not all Cable providers send their network HD channels (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, etc.) in-the-clear. I believe this is mandated by the FCC. Anyway, just as long as you maintain a basic cable subscription, you should be able to watch your network HD channels without paying additional fees. This will not enable you to watch digital or premium channels like HBO since they are encrypted - you will need a Set-Top-Box or CableCard to view them.

These sets (at least the 2675) also has integrated NTSC (analog) and ATSC (digital) tuner so you watch free over-the-air network programing (ABC, CBS, NBC, etc.) using a simple VHF/UHF antenna...just plug the antenna into your VHF/UHF/TV port. This feature works fine without the QAM upgrade.

If you want the the QAM Firmware, just shoot me a PM with your e-mail address and I will sent it your way. Warning: this firmware was sent to me to upgrade my TX-P2675WH, so don't apply it unless you have verified it will work on your TX-P2670WH. Also, while this is a pretty easy and straight forward process using a laptop and a RS-232 cable, don't try it unless you have read the instructions and feel comfortable performing the upgrade.

Wow! You've got guts, talrudeboy. How did you make the cable? Can you give me the specifics, as I've been trying to figure it out but I can't seem to get the PC and TV to connect. What parts did you use? Maybe I'm using something wrong.

Guts is right! But I did not spend $599 for the TV so It was not that bad but it was Scary!
Watching the % go from 1- 100% complete is a rush.
Note- If you ever have a blackout while doing this you are screwed!

Parts:

Radioshack
1. Shelded Male 6 feet headphone jack.
2. Femal DB9 connector (No wire attached)

Tools
Soldering Iron

Instructions.

1. Cut the Headphone wire in 2
2. Solder The Red wire to Pin 2
3. Solder the Black wire to Pin 3
4. Solder the silver wire to Pin 5

Thats it! 5 Mins
Pics attached!

Reference to the instructions that came with the Firmware. (Read carefully)

The batch file defaults to Com1 so be aware of that!

It took me 2 tries. errors connecting.

Read this Post Another Post on this topic

ravma479 said:
Wow! You've got guts, talrudeboy. How did you make the cable? Can you give me the specifics, as I've been trying to figure it out but I can't seem to get the PC and TV to connect. What parts did you use? Maybe I'm using something wrong.

Attachments

• 100B5242.JPG
    100B5242.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 387
  • 100B5202.JPG
    100B5202.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 375
  • 100B5212.JPG
    100B5212.JPG
    108.3 KB · Views: 332
  • 100B5232.JPG
    100B5232.JPG
    135.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 100B5262.JPG
    100B5262.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 363
YESSSSSSS! It WORKS! I finally have my Fox affiliate!!
THANK YOU so much talrudeboy and riffjim! You guys have ended a yearlong battle for this channel!

Your welcome.
ravma479 said:
THANK YOU so much talrudeboy and riffjim! You guys have ended a yearlong battle for this channel!

I recently upgraded the firmware on my TX-P2670WH and ran into problems with the pictures. I couldn't get the menu to work and was getting double pictures. Anyone know how to fix or my TV set which is 1 month old is hosed. Any help is appreciated.

ravma479 said:

I'm interested in doing this but am afraid. Anyway to back up the current firmware before applying the new one? Also in 1080i i have slight sideways scrolling bars, like a refresh but sideways, any ideas?

Talrudeboy,

How long is your cable? I made mine to be 3 feet long and don't know if the length has anything to do with the grief I'm experiencing. I would think that if there's a connection from the TV to the PC and if it reads the information, it should be fine. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Totally Awesome

I did the firmware upgrade on my TX-P2670WH and now can get HD over basic cable. (autoprogramming gave me some grief as it found more channels than there were...) but, I got it fixed now and couldn't be happier. I also could get NBC HD over the air (which I couldn't do before).

Thanks!

Telseth,

Do you have a snapshot of the cable you used. I'd be interested to see how it looks like. I made my cable and had unfavorable results upgrading my TV set. Thanks in advance.

Spica

telseth said:
I did the firmware upgrade on my TX-P2670WH and now can get HD over basic cable. (autoprogramming gave me some grief as it found more channels than there were...) but, I got it fixed now and couldn't be happier. I also could get NBC HD over the air (which I couldn't do before).
Thanks!

Yeah, my camera doesnt like to do closeups but, I followed talrudeboy's directions.

1. I got 6 feet of 1/8th inch stereo headphone cable.
2. Got a female D9 Connector and
3. Cut the cable in two and stripped the wires.
4. Numbering the back like so:

1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

soldered

a. Red to two
b. Black to three
c. Silver (ground) to 5

I also included a photo of the tv playing the Pen ST / FSU game in HD to prove it works.

Attachments

• DSCF2299.JPG
    DSCF2299.JPG
    107.5 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF2298.JPG
    DSCF2298.JPG
    276.4 KB · Views: 350
  • DSCF2297.JPG
    DSCF2297.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCF2296.JPG
    DSCF2296.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 266
  • DSCF2295.JPG
    DSCF2295.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 247
  • DSCF2300.JPG
    DSCF2300.JPG
    395.3 KB · Views: 337

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)