Samsung's Galaxy Gear isn't really a smartwatch

I just read that at release it will only work with the Note 3. That's an epic fail. I'm amazed that they won't have it running on at least the S4 at release. But even beyond that, for these things to take off, they need to be phone agnostic. I believe that to be true for Samsung here, apple with its own or google with its watch or glasses. Otherwise, you're eliminating huge market segments right off the bat. And how many will refuse to pay $300 for a smart watch that may not when in two years if they update to a different brand phone?

dangue:

I agree with you, that's a big mistake. Even Sony is vendor agnostic for the phone.

I have a Note 2, it and the Galaxy S3/S4 are supposed to be supported shortly after release. But it's stupid to tie it to a brand.

dangue:

I agree with you, that's a big mistake. Even Sony is vendor agnostic for the phone.

I have a Note 2, it and the Galaxy S3/S4 are supposed to be supported shortly after release. But it's stupid to tie it to a brand.

I thought Sony was tied to the Ericson phone but I see the new smartwatch 2 coming out this month is Android, universal. Thanks for the update.

I thought Sony was tied to the Ericson phone but I see the new smartwatch 2 coming out this month is Android, universal. Thanks for the update.

The current Sony Smart watch (not the new smart watch 2) was brand agnostic. They have a list of supported/tested phones but it isn't tied to Sony or Sony/Ericsson.

They could well have had earlier iterations of a smart watch that were brand specific.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

It occurs to me that limiting to the Note 3 / Note 10.1 pad could be to limit the number of watches initially in the wild. This would allow them to ramp up production slowly and make sure there's nothing terrible affecting a much broader release.

Its still a bad idea to limit it to their phones.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)