SAT Button on 6.4 IR/UHF Pro Remote

JrC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 6, 2006
HowlerVille, MI
Is there a way to prevent the SAT button from sending a power on command to the receiver?

The remove controls a VIP612. I would rather not have the remote decide that I want the receiver on, when what I really want to do is leave the remote in SAT mode after controlling other devices.

Thanks,
Jim

Is the receiver doing something when you press the SAT button? Pressing the SAT button puts the remote in SAT mode, but it shouldn't make the receiver do anything.

Either IR or RF it shouldn't be doing that. Pressing the SAT button places the remote in SAT mode, but that should not be sending a command to the receiver.
Something is not right.
Try re-coding the remote to the receiver.
- TV on
- Press & release power button on the receiver once
- picture goes away
- press & release "channel up" button on receiver once
- system info screen
- on the remote - press/hold SAT button until all clear buttons light up
- release SAT button - should be flashing
- press 01 on remote
- press #
- press the "record" button
- press Select twice
Now see if it still does it.

I've installed many VIP612s. Pressing the large red power button powers the receiver on and off, but pressing the clear SAT button doesn't.

I've installed many VIP612s. Pressing the large red power button powers the receiver on and off, but pressing the clear SAT button doesn't.

Check it out again next time you install a VIP receiver. Not only the 612. Turn off the receiver with the large red power button. Press the clear SAT button and the receiver will turn on.

The remote does send signals when the mode buttons are pressed. The "Mode Reminder" pop-up is evidence.

Thanks for your thoughts,
Jim

I have a VIP receiver in front of me right now. I'm pressing the SAT button. It lights up, but no change is happening. The receiver does not power on or off. The large red power button (which is not the SAT button) DOES power it on and off (well, it puts it into standby). The pressing of the "mode" buttons (such as the SAT and TV buttons...the clear ones...not the red ones) put the remote in a certain mode, but they do not take the place of a power button.
We are eastern arc....all I install are VIP receivers.

I have one old 6.4 IR/UHF Pro Remote that does not turn the VIP receiver on when the SAT mode button is pressed. It does not turn it off.

The other 3 newer 6.4 IR/UHF Pro Remotes do bring the receivers out of standby.

I guess your experience is different than mine.

The installer said the 612 didn't do IR. I had reason to doubt him. I guess maybe I do now.

Thanks,
Jim

There are some installers who are woefully uninformed. I had one tell me that the VIP series receivers would not recognize OTA digital channels and they would be useless after the digital transition. :rolleyes:

There are some installers who are woefully uninformed. I had one tell me that the VIP series receivers would not recognize OTA digital channels and they would be useless after the digital transition. :rolleyes:

I appears that vip612 is useless. The OTA tuners does not word well at all in my environment. The VIP722 is ok. My DTVPALs receive signals well. But hook up the 612 to the same cable and next to nothing.

The VIP612's OTA tuner is only marginally better that the 510's that it replaced.

I have the same remote as the topic starter. The SAT button can be programmed to behave almost like the recover button, and maybe -- if he bought it used -- the remote is still programmed in this fashion. Here's how mine is programmed:

I'm using this remote on my standard def/analog tuner tv which is TV2 of my DVR 625. I also have a DTV Pal converter box (for watching out-of-market OTA signals not offered by Dish) connected to this set. This remote's aux button is programmed to control the DTV Pal and the TV's tuner must be on channel 4. To quickly get back to viewing satellite, I just hit SAT and the TV's tuner automatically switches from channel 4 to channel 60 and it also turns on TV2 on the DVR 625. This saves the steps of hitting the TV button on the remote, tuning the set from channel 4 to 60; and from hitting the power button for the DVR in addition to hitting SAT.

I have the same remote as the topic starter. The SAT button can be programmed to behave almost like the recover button, and maybe -- if he bought it used -- the remote is still programmed in this fashion. Here's how mine is programmed:

I'm using this remote on my standard def/analog tuner tv which is TV2 of my DVR 625. I also have a DTV Pal converter box (for watching out-of-market OTA signals not offered by Dish) connected to this set. This remote's aux button is programmed to control the DTV Pal and the TV's tuner must be on channel 4. To quickly get back to viewing satellite, I just hit SAT and the TV's tuner automatically switches from channel 4 to channel 60 and it also turns on TV2 on the DVR 625. This saves the steps of hitting the TV button on the remote, tuning the set from channel 4 to 60; and from hitting the power button for the DVR in addition to hitting SAT.

You are describing SAT TV auto-tune. This is disabled on the remotes. If you disable it on your remote your TV2 on the DVR 625 will still turn on when you press the SAT button.

Disabling SAT Auto–Tune

1. Press and hold SAT for three seconds until all four mode buttons are lit.
2. Press STAR (*), then press VOLUME DOWN.
3. Press POUND (#). The SAT button flashes three times to indicate SAT Auto-Tune was disabled.

Thanks,
Jim

I tried this last night on my 722k and powering it down and then hitting the sat button did turn it on, but if you hit is again it would not power off without pushing the power button. Looks like it sends a power on signal not power toggle. Happened with 20.0 and 21 remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts