SAT Dish Installation Wash DC Area

SteveR

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 20, 2004
I am about to do a DIY upgrade for a new 722 receiver and wanted to know what satellite dish/dishes were being used for new installs in the Washington DC area. I currently have a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a separate dish for locals/HD at 61.5. With new satellites being launched and other pending changes, will I need to change the current dish setup in the near future? Thanks.

SteveR, that's my current setup with 2 622 and 1 722. We don't get a good sight of 129 here. So, apparently, and for the time being, those three sats is all you need.

Cheers and good luck !

I am about to do a DIY upgrade for a new 722 receiver and wanted to know what satellite dish/dishes were being used for new installs in the Washington DC area. I currently have a Dish 500 pointed at 110/119 and a separate dish for locals/HD at 61.5. With new satellites being launched and other pending changes, will I need to change the current dish setup in the near future? Thanks.
Using a similar set-up just up the road from you. I use a SD105 instead of the 500. I don't anticipate any changes for at least 6 months. E* has to get E11 and AMC14 up and running before any satellite moves can take place.

The 129 in your area is a scant 20.5 degrees above the horizon...So the 61.5 is a far better bet for you. Stay with it..
here's a link....GeoSatFinder - Satellite Finder Calculator - Satellite AV

Plus, Wash DC HD Locals are only at 61.5.
I can tune 129 in my location (Fairfax, only a few miles from Burke) but why bother since I can't get HD Locals for DC on 129.

I hear that the northeastern part of our DMA can't get 129 at all. That fits with the exclusion map I saw on the ekb site. If the entire DMA can't get it it's a no-go.
Richmond can use 129 no problem, which is interesting.

Plus, Wash DC HD Locals are only at 61.5.
I can tune 129 in my location (Fairfax, only a few miles from Burke) but why bother since I can't get HD Locals for DC on 129.

I hear that the northeastern part of our DMA can't get 129 at all. That fits with the exclusion map I saw on the ekb site. If the entire DMA can't get it it's a no-go.
Richmond can use 129 no problem, which is interesting.
yes 129 is pretty low in the sky for those in the Mid Atalntic and Northeast.
you are right on the edge of the coverage area.

Using a similar set-up just up the road from you. I use a SD105 instead of the 500. I don't anticipate any changes for at least 6 months. E* has to get E11 and AMC14 up and running before any satellite moves can take place.

I may be wrong but i beleive your sd105 wont be around for 6 more months..Feb 17 i beleive is its scedualed last day

I may be wrong but i beleive your sd105 wont be around for 6 more months..Feb 17 i beleive is its scedualed last day

So what configuration is being used for new installs in the Wash DC area today and what will be used/required when the additional satellites are up and operational later this year?

There was a reception map posted once for the 129 satellite. The was a line that pretty much ran nw to se that cut right between Baltimore and DC. If you were South and West of this line, you had a chance to see 129, if you were north and east it wouldn't likely work for you. But 61.5 works for all of us, so thats were the DC locals are located.

Sure having a 2nd dish is unsightly, but it works.

The SD105 works fine and will continue to work. I get 110 & 119 from it with great ss. E* moved my locals from 105 when E10 lit up. I actually got a better ss from 105 than I do from 110. I repeaked the SD after the locals were moved off 105.

The SD105 works fine and will continue to work. I get 110 & 119 from it with great ss. E* moved my locals from 105 when E10 lit up. I actually got a better ss from 105 than I do from 110. I repeaked the SD after the locals were moved off 105.

SD's also work great for 110/119/129 installs.

Yup. 61.5, 110 & 119 using legacy LNBFs. Works fine for us!

Who knows what Dish might do in the future? We'll just have to make the adjustments if and when they are needed.

--Doug

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts