SAT GUY BOTS?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeinBaja

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
San Diego area (CA)
Don't "regularly" check the logged on list, but did tonight and found the following net bots signed in:

MSNBot(91), Yeti(4), Baidu(4), Alexa Bitlybot(3), Radian6 Comment Reader(5), Magpie, ExaLead Beta, OpenISearch, Voila(2), Yahoo! Slurp(3), Google(2), Google Wireless Transcoder(2), MLBot, Google AdSense
SatelliteGuys.US Statistics

Why aren't these blocked/banned?

Last edited:
Because they are all needed? and important?

A huge portion of this websites traffic is from search engines, so having those "crawlers" if you will search and index the site really help the traffic. Also some of them are perhaps for ad serving purposes ala the google adsense bot.

Don't "regularly" check the logged on list, but did tonight and found the following net bots signed in:

MSNBot(91), Yeti(4), Baidu(4), Alexa Bitlybot(3), Radian6 Comment Reader(5), Magpie, ExaLead Beta, OpenISearch, Voila(2), Yahoo! Slurp(3), Google(2), Google Wireless Transcoder(2), MLBot, Google AdSense

Why aren't these blocked/banned?

They are not blocked so that when people search for problems or information on DBS things, they will pick up a bunch of threads from here and discover the site. Doing a search and seeing these forums helps bring new people to the site.

Ah, not to all they aren't. You have any idea how deep web crawlers dig?

(No, I don't believe in alien attacks or that the NSA is listening in on my phone).

The web crawlers can only go as "deep" as the website lets them. Typically no deeper then an avg "guest" can go. So if you do not want the web crawlers to know to much about you dont put it in public view ;)

If you look at the original post, even an image and some font colors from the copied portion that was pasted into the post. That is what I'm referring to. I'm sure the OP didnt think 'well let me copy the image url... paste that in there... ok now I better center it all so it looks kinda like whats at the bottom, oh now let me make this white and another font....'

I'm plenty familiar with the basic forum stuff, but some people paste news/whatever and the formating stays with what they copied.

The web crawlers can only go as "deep" as the website lets them. Typically no deeper then an avg "guest" can go. So if you do not want the web crawlers to know to much about you dont put it in public view ;)

That's not exactly true my friend. Webcrawlers see what the average user doesn't see. They look for information that you don't or can't because it's hidden by HTML. Bots come in all different forms from useful to malicious. Useful bot follow rules; while malicious bot are basically some form of spyware & are programmed not to follow rules. Just posting this message I have 34 different scripts trying to access my Linux system. I seriously doubt if any are malicious, but as a default I keep all scripts blocked. & allow only the ones I want to. This site uses them for statistics, advertising, etc, but once they allow them (Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc), they are not in control of them. After I posted, there were 52 scripts trying to access my system.

That's not exactly true my friend. Webcrawlers see what the average user doesn't see. They look for information that you don't or can't because it's hidden by HTML. Bots come in all different forms from useful to malicious. Useful bot follow rules; while malicious bot are basically some form of spyware & are programmed not to follow rules. Just posting this message I have 34 different scripts trying to access my Linux system. I seriously doubt if any are malicious, but as a default I keep all scripts blocked. & allow only the ones I want to. This site uses them for statistics, advertising, etc, but once they allow them (Google, MSN, Yahoo, etc), they are not in control of them. After I posted, there were 52 scripts trying to access my system.

No it is exactly true. Webcrawlers like we are talking about are completely different then spyware/adaware you speak of. Web crawlers or "bots" that we are talking about like google or yahoo or slurp or any number of these "bots" access a website and can only see the same information/data you and I can see. In fact we as registered members see more then the bot does. If you want to see the HTML and everything in it you can simply use the "view source" option of your browser and you can see what the bot sees.

Now a different kind of bot/script like what you are talking about is somthing you as a user need to download and allow access to your PC. Its not anything like the webcrawlers/bots we are talking about here.

There are many different types of scripts that can be trying to access your machine. None of which have anything to do with the bots/webcrawlers that SatGuys allows to view the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)