sat internet . no dtv or hughs. so whats left?

gardenman2002

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
indiana
Hey everyone,

Im looking for a good satellite internet provider and i dont want to use hughes net or wildblue. .Nothing against them, but im looking for something affordable but also something i can use my phone on. Due to latency issues the other two are limited.

Thanks,

gardenman2002

affordable does not equal satelite isp (wildblue is by far the cheaper one)
latency? there is this thing called space. It sits between you and the dish. It takes time for this signal to go from you to the dish, back down to the isp, then across the web, then back to the isp, then back to the dish, then back to you. average is 1000 m/s

sat internet no dtv or hughs so whats left?

I should have indicated im a current wildblue customer . i like it alot but i wouldnt mind paying extra for the sat internet so i can use phone capabilities, but maybe im just reaching for the stars.my local phone company charges about 89 dollars a month for service and the tech support is crappy. i get better service thru a prepaid phone i have.If i can combine the two costs to a single bill equaling the two or less, that would be great. I know you get what you pay for, so I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a service.

Thanks,

gardenman2002

I should have indicated im a current wildblue customer . i like it alot but i wouldnt mind paying extra for the sat internet so i can use phone capabilities, but maybe im just reaching for the stars.my local phone company charges about 89 dollars a month for service and the tech support is crappy. i get better service thru a prepaid phone i have.If i can combine the two costs to a single bill equaling the two or less, that would be great. I know you get what you pay for, so I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a service.

Thanks,

gardenman2002

There is no satelite isp that is compatable with VOIP.
DSL,Cable, or fiber. AKA land based ISP is the only
Oh and LOS ISPs

Thanks,

gardenman2002

89 bucks for a landline? Damn! There are cheaper options...usually a home phone bare bones is like 15-20 bucks a month

There are some VoIP providers that are satellite compatible, but you have to choose carefully. Avoid software solutions, and select a hardware solution where the provider "tunes" his equipment to be more "satellite friendly". The inexpensive providers can't do this, there's no cheap solution.

Wildblue isn't VoIP friendly, but the same service in Canada - is. So it's possible, Wildblue simply doesn't see a profit motive in supporting VoIP. Hughes consumer grade service doesn't either. But for a few bucks more, you can subscribe to their business grade service and opt for VoIP acceleration. Again, it's not a cheap solution. iDirect is said to support VoIP quite well, but they're more expensive yet. I know $90 for a landline sucks, but in the end might be cheaper than usable satellite VoIP. Maybe giving up the landline in favor of a prepaid cell is least expensive solution. I've got a no-contract pre-paid 3G phone for $25/month.

//greg//

Thanks guys for all the input and i will check out some of the posted sites. Yes i pay $89 for landline and its thru a local company. I tried to get someone else but i think the territory is locked? is that possible? anyway i will keep my prepaid and try some of the other sites listed.

Anyway thanks for the replies.

gardenman2002

I tried to get someone else but i think the territory is locked?
Competition (Competitive Local Exchange Carriers) is encouraged but if you live far enough away from civilization, it is likely that nobody is interested.

Lack of options is one of the frequently unanticipated costs of living way out in East Jesus.

Don't forget if you can get cell service in your location you could go with a cell air card. I had Verizon, and was pleased with the service other than the fact I kept going over the 5gig monthly cap (I like to download a lot of video, and my wife is now a stay at home mom who surfs the internet allot). If you have a Blackberry smart phone there is an APP that will allow you to tether your phone you your computer, and use off your phones data plan which is unlimited (with most carriers), but I have never tried it so I can't say how fast that set up would be.

If you could go with a WISP and they are reliable then you can get VOIP through them such as Vonage or Magic Jack.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts