Satellite/Cable/OTA Distribution

bkmeyers@hotmail.com

Original poster
Jan 25, 2007
N. Illinois
I currently have DISH Network for my TV provider. The antenna is a Dish 500 Twin LNBF. I have 1 model 522 receiver and 1 model
311 receiver. My current TV’s are not HD ready but that will be a consideration in the near future.

I would like to use existing cable to distribute Satellite, Cable TV, Broadband Internet (cable provider), and OTA Antenna signal. My
objectives are to have Satellite and/or Cable and OTA TV/FM available at all my pre-wired outlets.

What do I have to do to accomplish this?

I have posted a crude diagram of my homes cabling and a narrative which may be of help.

Attachments

• Cable Wiring 07.txt
    2.3 KB · Views: 156
  • Cable Diagram.jpg
    Cable Diagram.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Welcome to Satelliteguys!

With satellite, you cannot "split" the cable from the satellite dish to the receiver EVER. However you could use a switch (DP44) in the place of a 4-way splitter. In most cases it is really a whole lot better to wire specifically for the satellite system. It saves a lot of headaches. But if you are determined, I'm sure a more experienced installer/techie type will be around eventually to help you out!

See ya
Tony

It sounds like you have done some reading, but here is a site with plenty of documents, as well as some diagrams that could give you some idea's on which way to go. http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

Two things to consider; (1) are you looking to be able to install a satellite receiver in each room, or (2) you would like to be able to receive the satellite receiver's output(s) in each room?

That will make a difference in how you will attempt to configure everything. The RG59 is not recommended for satellite signals between the dish and satellite receiver using either DishPro or DishPro Plus technology. This technology sends the Left Polarized and Right Polarized signals down a single line at the same time, as well as sends the signal requirements for both tuners of a dual tuner receiver at the same time.

Using diplexers, you could normally backfeed the modulated signal from the 522 with the satellite signal, however, I don't know if it will interfere or not when using RG59 instead of RG6. But you should be able to send the modulated output across the rest of your RG59 distribution system.

You could combine the 522's modulated output with an OTA TV signal, however, it would have to be on a channel not being used.

Likewise, combining TV Equipment Output, OTA Signals, and Cable Signals, can not be sent across the same line unless each were on a different frequency (Channels). This could be accomplished by buying a modulator for each channel you needed to convert to another un-assigned frequency. However, then you will have to start balancing outputs so that one did not interfere with the other. Ex: Channel 5 from a piece of local equipment could wipe out Channel 6 OTA.

Cable Internet -- Your cable modem will work best without splitters, or maybe one splitter. Your cable modem could then feed a wireless router, or maybe a wired router that could make use of your home wiring, to provide internet service to other computers.

It sounds like you have done some reading, but here is a site with plenty of documents, as well as some diagrams that could give you some idea's on which way to go. http://www.solidsignal.tv/dishpro_installation.asp

Two things to consider; (1) are you looking to be able to install a satellite receiver in each room, or (2) you would like to be able to receive the satellite receiver's output(s) in each room?

Cable Internet -- Your cable modem will work best without splitters, or maybe one splitter. Your cable modem could then feed a wireless router, or maybe a wired router that could make use of your home wiring, to provide internet service to other computers.

I have read quite a bit just don't want to throw a lot of money at my project and not have it work. I would like to be able to move a receiver to any room I have a drop, maybe up to a max of 3 receivers at one time.

The RG59? I was surprised when the DISH installer said it was a problem but then went ahead and used it. I have a better picture than I had with COMCAST and noise doesn't seem a problem, I suppose HD could bring out the weaknesses.

The reason I added cable internet is that I'd like to have the most flexibility possible with my distribution system. I am flexible and it can be taken out of my considerations.

Technically you went over my head with your explanation thats why I am looking for help at what equipment and configuration would achieve a majority of my objectives.

Your suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
I think your life will be easier if you isolate the broadband cable from the rest of the distribution. You really should only need broadband sent to one room where it can feed your cable modem and then your network router. There is really no reason to distribute the broadband cable to every room and it will just complicate the rest of the setup.

You also should consider setting up your distribution so that the receiver backfeed (TV2 output) is available at every room and not necessarily the satellite signal. The reason being that the satellite signal should be distributed on RG6 (since it is >1 Ghz range) and TV2 output can be distributed on RG59 (since it is in the UHF range <1 Ghz). Additionally you will have to buy more hardware to distribute satellite to every room and of course additional satellite receivers. It is much simpler and cheaper just to tune in to the TV2 signal around the house. You still get the benefit of having all the satellite channels at every. The big downside is that you won't get HD satellite at every room but you can still at least distribute OTA HD to every room - so its somewhat of a compromise solution.

Again here is what I am suggested:

1. Isolate broadband cable line and send only to 1 room.
2. Choose 1 or 2 rooms for satellite signal and send their with RG6.
3. Distribute TV2 outputs from receivers and combined OTA antenna to the rest of the house over your existing RG59.

Solved

:) With your advice and an individual at http://www.dishstore.net I have my solution.

It is a Channel Plus SVM-24 Quad-Channel S-Video Stereo RF Modulator with IR Control. This will alow me to distribute the 3 signals from my 2 DISH receviers using my existing cable plus the OTA Antenna.

My satellite receivers will also be on RG6 with this solution. When I bite the bullet and upgrade my TV to HD I'll be able to route RG6 to that 1 TV, I'm not interested in distributing HD to the other locations.

622 and 2 HDTV's

Fox SW Sports HD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)