Status
Please reply by conversation.

Keystone7

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2009
North Indiana
Hi eveyone,

I am new to the form and I hope this question is okay for this area. I am installing my new cable and need advise! I laid my new cable to my satellite dish which is 160 feet from the house. Me doing the bright thing, I cut my long cable to short. Is't along story, but I did. Should I run a new cable of RG6 or use a connector to connect the new 25 foot cable to make it the right lenght?
Which will bring up another question. Should I use an inline amp because of the lenght of cable? I am going to bury this cable few inches in ground. Anyone with ideas, please help. I need to complete this install before it gets to cold here in northern Indiana.:confused:

You shouldn't need an amp, but I wouldn't bury a spliced cable. I'd roll the cable up and save it for something else, and bury two cables ( I'd always have a spare) to your dish . Burying a few inches down is not according to NEC, but I know the cable companies do it all the time. Better would be putting it in PVC in a shallow trench, for protection against accidental cutting it.

I'd have to vote for new complete cable run, much as it may cost it will be less troublesome than a barrel-connector installed to piece the cable together. You wouldn't want a connector like that buried anyway, even though I'm sure there are waterproof ways to do it. Water seems to always find a way to get into anything buried. Wouldn't worry about inline amps for cable run of that distance either. Some of the members here have way longer lenghts on their free to air dishes..

You shouldn't need an amp, but I wouldn't bury a spliced cable. I'd roll the cable up and save it for something else, and bury two cables ( I'd always have a spare) to your dish . Burying a few inches down is not according to NEC, but I know the cable companies do it all the time. Better would be putting it in PVC in a shallow trench, for protection against accidental cutting it.

Thanks for your information,it helps!

Thanks for your information. It's nice to have such a quick reaction to questions. It makes me feel at home here. Thanks!

Hi eveyone,

I am new to the form and I hope this question is okay for this area. I am installing my new cable and need advise! I laid my new cable to my satellite dish which is 160 feet from the house. Me doing the bright thing, I cut my long cable to short. Is't along story, but I did. Should I run a new cable of RG6 or use a connector to connect the new 25 foot cable to make it the right lenght?
Which will bring up another question. Should I use an inline amp because of the lenght of cable? I am going to bury this cable few inches in ground. Anyone with ideas, please help. I need to complete this install before it gets to cold here in northern Indiana.:confused:

You can "splice" it but it's better if it's an uncut run. The splice I'm referring to is using a barrel connector, which is a female connection on each end, and then connect the 2 connectorized RG6 cables to this barrel. Then you'll have to make it watertight using waterproof heatshrink or coldshrink. There are other options for waterproofing the connection using puttys, etc. There are waterproof RG6 connectors also. As for the amplifier, you might need one but you can add that later if you really need it.

better late than never?

There is a type of direct-burial coax.
It's orange on the outside, and filled inside with a gooey mess.
Think it's made to self-seal if lightly scraped or punctured.

I'll agree with the "no buried splices", and the "no amps" needed.

Keystone,

If it is not too much trouble for you to do so, trench a 1" plastic (continuous) irrigation tubing in and route two RG-11 cables within it, one for a spare.

At 160 feet of run, this may be overly dramatic, but you would be pleased at the results. RG-11 cable is not that much more expensive than RG-6 and the connector ends are a breeze to install!

Connectors themselves are more expensive of course, but you don't need that many.

This is much better than splicing an underground run. You are guaranteed to have problems with an underground splice in the future and will have to dig it up someday or repeatedly to repair it.

After I purchased and installed my long run (250+ feet) of RG-11 cable, I was hooked! It does make a difference.

Also, avoid the use of signal amplifiers if you can. They really don't provide much of a benefit and usually procure more troubles for you in the long run. They are usually not necessary to begin with and the proper cable for the application is the better method over all.

RADAR

Last edited:
i vote for running a new unspliced cable. A splice will work fine for DVB-S for decent strength signals, but if you plan on doing DVB-S2 in the future, you probably will have problems on those types of signals.

Radar you think that the RG-11 provides that much more headroom? Just wondering because I thought about running all my feeds to the house with it. Like you said price is not that much different but since I have a 1000 feet of twin Rg-6 that is what I have been using.

RG-11 will benefit a longer cable run. On shorter runs it probably won't matter as much, especially if you're using quality RG-6 with a solid copper center conductor. Just got a 500' roll of Perfect Vision PVCX3B dual RG-6 for the runs out to the new dish farm, since its not that far (less than 50 feet) from the original dish farm on my shed roof.

I have a splice inside 2" PVC conduit covered with clear silicone. I'd much rather a full run, but the splice I have really isn't that big of a deal. I use that line for my 36" Prodelin for 12140 on AMC 21. At the site of the dishes, I use grounding blocks for all my runs, so thats another splice, but both ends have weatherboots. The LNBs connect to the grounding blocks with a 6 to 9 foot cable. On my 8' Fortec, both my H and V runs were too short, so I added an extention. I used a coupler of course, and weatherboots on both ends butted against eachother and sealed with clear silicone at the seams. Since doing a new run would be a monumetous for me, the splices were the best I can do and really wasn't a big deal.

For you, splices wouldn't be a big deal if you seal them and bury them in sealed PVC conduit, but I'd do runs of RG11 if I could.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)