Trip

RabbitEars Webmaster
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Jun 21, 2008
Alexandria, VA, US
Good evening,

It's been a while since I have posted here, but some of you are probably aware that I recently accepted a new job with the Federal Communications Commission in Washington, DC. As such, I have relocated from Chattanooga, TN to Alexandria, VA. As you might imagine, I brought the antenna and the dish with me.

Yesterday afternoon, I had a neighbor from down the street visit me and complain about my dish and threaten to complain to the county. As a result, I am writing a letter to the neighbor, and I would like some input on the substance and the tone. I'm really trying not to make an enemy, so I've written it like I would write an FCC comment and tried to be as neutral as possible. I'm concerned that someone else could read it as rude. It is attached; all opinions are appreciated.

- Trip

Attachments

• LettertoNeighbor.pdf
    39.9 KB · Views: 423
Last edited:
I would like to see a couple of pictures.
Are you motorized? If not, what bird?

As to the wording, I'd give you an A+ !

Same setup as I had in Chattanooga, motorized but currently optimized for 125W (PBS) since I've yet to have the time to get it to track properly.

When I get rid of the concrete blocks and wire it the way I want it, I'll take a few photos.

- Trip

Well done Trip. Hopefully it will solve your issue. It's too bad many of us run into this sort of thing, I am lucky to live in a rural area and don't really deal with that sort of thing first hand. My white C-band dish did cultivate quite a bit of interest when it was first installed, but a coat of camo paint seemed to make quite a difference and no one seems to notice it anymore. Maybe some paint along with your planned upgrades shoud help quite a bit.
Best of luck..
-C.

Brilliantly written! Your nosy neighbor has bitten off more than he can chew. The facts and rules you pointed out to him are indisputable.:cool:

I considered it a little snooty until the part where they called your dish "ghetto s__t". The neighbor probably does have some point that dropping a dish anchored in a pail of concrete in the front yard is ghetto for that area. There is no reason that you couldn't spend a few dollars on lumber to build a nice looking box and paint it to match the house.

Just remember that its ok to win but piling on stirs up something inside people like this. They will look for anything to get you on or find ways to get you evicted. The real crazies will even break the law to win and get even.

Too much work in writing the letter if you ask me.

Why even give them the satisfaction of giving them a responce this early in the game?

I would do nothing until they write their letter or try to complain, and then hit them with your letter. I think sending this letter right now is just going to start un-necessary problems with your neighbors.

Let them be the one to start it, and you can finish it.

I considered it a little snooty until the part where they called your dish "ghetto s__t". The neighbor probably does have some point that dropping a dish anchored in a pail of concrete in the front yard is ghetto for that area. There is no reason that you couldn't spend a few dollars on lumber to build a nice looking box and paint it to match the house.

And build it with what? I have no tools, no experience building such a thing, and a very limited amount of free time and money to waste on such adventures.

It's not a bucket with writing on it, like a recycled paint bucket or something, it's a solid blue bucket with rope handles, made for storage. I've seen people use them for potted plants before. It's a duller blue color than the bright blue trash bins everyone has in front of their houses as required by the county for recycling pickup.

It looks like one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002IOUH9A/?tag=satell01-20

What do you consider "piling on"? I'm not quite sure I'm following you on that sentence. I understand the rest of the paragraph.

Claude, hasn't she already started it by coming to my door and making the threat of reporting it? The letter is designed to defuse things, not start things.

- Trip

Last edited:
I would have told that neighbor, "You obviously have me confused with someone who gives a s**t" "Now go mind your own business"
But your way is probably better.

I agree with Claude G. I also think that any response will "add fuel to the fire" so to speak. You have spoken well in your letter, but I would save it for whoever takes action on his complaint. Sometimes people get a reputation in their neighborhood as to the kind of character that they are. His complaints may fall on "deaf ears", if he is a person who complains about everything. A chronic complainer will quickly get a reputation for it. If he is one of those, he may well be ignored...

If I was the fuming neighbour, I wouldnt read it as its too long. Try to be more concise.... just my opinion. 1 maybe 2 paragraphs at the most.
Besides, if he took the time to nag you about your setup without introducing himself, then he might take the letter as the ultimate "FU".... some insecure people dont like their so called "authority" challenged.

I'd just wait and see what his next move is.. if he has one. All we know, he could just be filled with hot air.

Cheers, K

My two cents don't poke the bear. The person who said something does not know the law let them press the issue they will find out they are wrong.

Plan 2 - Go get your amateur licensee and put up a 40 foot tower they will love that. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)