Satellite dish has obstructions?

Clancy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 3, 2006
If you have a situation where more elevation with your dish would make satellite reception possible that at the moment is otherwise not possible because of obstructions from trees, buildings, etc., here is a great piece of information that should help some of you folks enjoy some more TV.

It comes complete with text and pictures for all you Wisconsin and Minnesota people. :hatsoff: :)
Certainly worth printing out.

Because of the much higher elevation of dish ( flipped 180 degrees from original offset) a hole should be drilled in reflector for rain drainage. Also, extra care for weather proofing of LNBF ports.

Go to - http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

If anyone puts this information to use, let us know how it turned out for you.

Thanks for the post (maybe re-post), I was looking for that link the other day as a possible solution for someone who could no longer mount a dish on the balcony railing.

Thanks for the post (maybe re-post), I was looking for that link the other day as a possible solution for someone who could no longer mount a dish on the balcony railing.

This procedure really ought to be released by Dish Network .( Forget about Direct) :)

How many people out there might benefit by this knowledge?
I don't know why Charlie hasn't started making and selling these. They are a good thing to build if one has the time. Winter time might be such the time.
Anyways, people who read this forum have been given the opportunity to learn. :hungry:

What happens when it snows ?? The snow sure isn't going to "fall" off that dish. If it stays cold enough, it won't melt so the drain hole mentioned won't do any good....

What happens when it snows ?? The snow sure isn't going to "fall" off that dish. If it stays cold enough, it won't melt so the drain hole mentioned won't do any good....

Try and look on the brighter side Hall.
It works for all other weather situations except for your scenario.
The drain hole is for all the months of the year when rain may be present.
There are plenty of places where snow is not a problem.
Where one may encounter snow, then a little elbow grease and dish clearing is the order of the day. This type of mount should not require too high a position off the ground to work.
Remember, something is better than nothing. Think positive. :)

Yes, I understand. I also don't think you'd ever see that up on someone's roof so it probably would be accessible for most.... Was your mentioning this for MN and WI folks a joke ?? They would definitely be in a location where snow would be a problem vs someone in FL doing this ! :D

If you have a situation where more elevation with your dish would make satellite reception possible that at the moment is otherwise not possible because of obstructions from trees, buildings, etc., here is a great piece of information that should help some of you folks enjoy some more TV.

It comes complete with text and pictures for all you Wisconsin and Minnesota people. :hatsoff: :)
Certainly worth printing out.

Because of the much higher elevation of dish ( flipped 180 degrees from original offset) a hole should be drilled in reflector for rain drainage. Also, extra care for weather proofing of LNBF ports.

Go to - http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

If anyone puts this information to use, let us know how it turned out for you.

Just because you flip the dish upside down doesn't get your more elevation. You're still looking at the same spot in the sky.

Yes, and also while sitting upside down, it's hard to drink that cold one. :D
It's obvious you are drinking to slow. Just cock your head back and pour!:D

I don't know if saying "getting more elevation" is accurate, but it does provide extra possibilities for changing the local setup to receive a signal below a over-hang, above a railing, between or maybe under some trees.

But the best part - it's easier to mount on the luggage rack of my Expedition. :eureka

It's obvious you are drinking to slow. Just cock your head back and pour!:D

I don't know if saying "getting more elevation" is accurate, but it does provide extra possibilities for changing the local setup to receive a signal below a over-hang, above a railing, between or maybe under some trees.

But the best part - it's easier to mount on the luggage rack of my Expedition. :eureka

I wish I was drinking. It's kinda like if you are looking in the binoculars but you can see your neighbors bedroom window because of the tree. Are you going to turn the binoculars upside down to see in the window. No..you are still in the same spot..looking at the same spot. As in, "You can't get there from here."

However, while drinking some of that "Bayou Beer", if the tree is in front of you so that you are only seeing through one lens, then you lean a little to the left (using the LSU kicker*), or you turn the binoculars sideways so that one lens is on top of the other so that both lens will have a view.:D

So technically, you're not in the same spot, with either the binoculars or the dish with a non-traditional mount.

Kind of like when I take a Dish 500 with single LNBF, and adjust the skew to receive a stronger signal, since I can not get way beyond the balcony to get a proper line of sight.

* Can't remember the name of the LSU kicker who tried to commit suicide a few years ago, but he was a little too far to the left and missed.:D

Last edited:
I wish I was drinking. It's kinda like if you are looking in the binoculars but you can see your neighbors bedroom window because of the tree. Are you going to turn the binoculars upside down to see in the window. No..you are still in the same spot..looking at the same spot. As in, "You can't get there from here."

Your thoughts here will hold true with a prime focus LNBF. But we are working with an off-set LNBF and the example that I have presented here allows for the reflector to be angled higher in the sky with relation to its base and still look at the same satellite position thus giving a little more look see over a foreground object that may have been obstructing.
It allows for more of the dish area to capture and reflect to its focal point with the foreground obstruction.

I agree my choice of the word elevation could be misleading.

However, while drinking some of that "Bayou Beer", if the tree is in front of you so that you are only seeing through one lens, then you lean a little to the left (using the LSU kicker*), or you turn the binoculars sideways so that one lens is on top of the other so that both lens will have a view.:D

So technically, you're not in the same spot, with either the binoculars or the dish with a non-traditional mount.

Kind of like when I take a Dish 500 with single LNBF, and adjust the skew to receive a stronger signal, since I can not get way beyond the balcony to get a proper line of sight.

* Can't remember the name of the LSU kicker who tried to commit suicide a few years ago, but he was a little too far to the left and missed.:D

Or you just get mad and throw the satellite dish 100 yards with 3-250lb blockers hanging off of your hips.... just like JaMarcus Russell. ;)