Dish has Fixed Google Assistant on Hopper3 Receivers

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
Tonight I was attempting to voice search for a program on my Family Room Hopper3 receiver. A message popped up asking if I wanted to link my Hopper3 to Google Assistant. I agreed. It asked me to open Google Assistant on my mobile device. I opened Google Assistant on my IPhone 12 Pro Max. It displayed a pairing code which I accepted. Google Assistant on my IPhone then searched for devices for about 1.5 minutes. It found the Hopper.

Google Assistant now does the following with voice commands on my 54 remote.
1) It can access events in my calendar
2) It can control all of my Lutron Caseta lights throughout my house.
3) it can open or close my SwitchBot curtains
4) It can tell me the humidity and temperature of rooms from my SwitchBot Hub2.
5) It can answer questions.

What does not work very well is actual control of the Hopper 3 receiver.
Pause, Resume, tune to channel xx, etc. only work part of the time.

Good start Dish!!!! Keep working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not at all sure if this is related but (like Alexa and Amazon) Google has laid off lots of employees, I use Alexa not GA so I don't pretend to be an expert at all.

Not at all sure if this is related but (like Alexa and Amazon) Google has laid off lots of employees, I use Alexa not GA so I don't pretend to be an expert at all.
It was actually 24 total and most of them are very underused. I use GA a lot and none of the ones listed are anything I use

Fixed how? No more Happy Hours with Alex-a?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alexa still works well with both of my Hopper 3 and Joey 3 equipment. Alexa allows me to pause, resume, skip ahead xx amount, change channel, and turn off my Dish equipment.

Google Assistant using voice commands on my Dish remote can control my Lutron Caseta lights, SwitchBot curtains, bring up my calendar, display my Google photos, do internet searches, and answer basic questions.

What Google cannot do is control the Dish equipment. Google no longer lists Dish as a Service that works with Google. I am surprised that Dish has not taken down the bottom portion of the Google Assistant setup screen. The bottom portion of that screen generates a pairing code that in the past would allow Google Home to link to Dish. But since Google has removed Dish from their list of services “Controlling Dish through a Google Assistant Device” is no longer available.

You asked how I got this to work. I described it in post 1 which I have copied below.
I was attempting to do a voice search for a program on my Family Room Hopper3 receiver. A message popped up asking if I wanted to link my Hopper3 to Google Assistant. I agreed. It asked me to open Google Assistant on my mobile device. I opened Google Assistant on my IPhone 12 Pro Max. It displayed a pairing code which I accepted. Google Assistant on my IPhone then searched for devices for about 1.5 minutes. It found my Hopper 3. After that occurred Google Assistant works using my 53 voice remote.

Well, let me rephrase what I said: Technically it understands everything I say as it shows on the bottom of the screen being repeated, yet anything I say is answered with " We're having trouble processing your request. Please try again later". I cannot even start over with saying "Stop sharing information".

Reactions: charlesrshell