Satellite dish model and cabling requirements

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

clayh

Original poster
May 10, 2017
Northern California
Hi,

I am building a home and the location of the satellite dish is going to be about 28ft up in the air on the side of the house. Currently there is scaffolding up and it would make the install of the dish really easy. I would like to mount the dish and run the cables now if possible. I understand that the adjusting of the dish would happen later which can be handled from the roof.

What I am looking for is the exact model and LNB type that I will need for my installation. I am in Northern California and plan on installing a Hopper3 with 4 Joey's. The cabling will be run into a central panel where all the different room will have home run RG6 cabled to it. I am planning on any splitters to be installed there if possible. I want 4K content as well as local channels incase that makes a difference.

So my question is what dish model and LNB will I need? How many cables do I need to run? Do I need a switch at Dish mounting location?

I have tried to call Dish, look through the forums and even a local installer but none are either willing to or know the answer.

Thanks for any help on this.

Clay

Hi,

I am building a home and the location of the satellite dish is going to be about 28ft up in the air on the side of the house. Currently there is scaffolding up and it would make the install of the dish really easy. I would like to mount the dish and run the cables now if possible. I understand that the adjusting of the dish would happen later which can be handled from the roof.

What I am looking for is the exact model and LNB type that I will need for my installation. I am in Northern California and plan on installing a Hopper3 with 4 Joey's. The cabling will be run into a central panel where all the different room will have home run RG6 cabled to it. I am planning on any splitters to be installed there if possible. I want 4K content as well as local channels incase that makes a difference.

So my question is what dish model and LNB will I need? How many cables do I need to run? Do I need a switch at Dish mounting location?

I have tried to call Dish, look through the forums and even a local installer but none are either willing to or know the answer.

Thanks for any help on this.

Clay
Do you currently have a DISH account?

Why is this question so hard to answer? The Hopper 3 requires the Western arc hybrid LNB on a 1000.2. Caveat: I don't have any Hopper and I'm on Eastern arc. :D

Note that clayh also wants to know how many cables are needed, and whether any switches are needed at the dish. I think no on the switches. See caveat above.

Reactions: stardust3
Why is this question so hard to answer? The Hopper 3 requires the Western arc hybrid LNB on a 1000.2. Caveat: I don't have any Hopper and I'm on Eastern arc. :D

Note that clayh also wants to know how many cables are needed, and whether any switches are needed at the dish. I think no on the switches. See caveat above.
What you say holds true for today's configuration. There is a possibility that it could change with the introduction on the new 42 switch.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Conduit is best. But I'd certainly run at least three coax now, one for OTA. Dish can later install a dish and a gable mount.

No splitters. And with Hopper, no separators either.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Like Navychop said, if you run three coax from the Dish to your central panel you'll potentially save yourself headaches in the future. Also make sure the cable you use is rated for 3ghz.
I would think it's a good idea to make sure the dish is grounded.

I have four coax to my 1000+ dish that is on Western Arc, 119, 110, 129, & 118.7. I think when I upgrade to the new DPH42 switch when it comes out and Hopper 3 it will still require four coax.

In my opinion, it is foolish to put dish 28' above ground UNLESS there is a line of sight issue. You will have issues with techs accessing dish to service.
This!

My original installer, 12 years ago, put my Dish halfway up my roof due to trees that were in the way. Every time a tech came out after that they did not want to work on the Dish and said that configuration is not supported. They said they dish should be mounted on the roof at the lowest point, not half way up the roof. Each tech said they are not allowed to get on the roof.

I would not waste your time installing the dish now unless you had a local installer come out and access the situation and you also planned to use the same installer later.

Reactions: oljim60 and al
I have decided to mount the dish mid way up the house instead of the roof line. Its more visible than I had hoped but I the Dish tech would just shake his head and walk away. I am also going to run conduit from the dish to the cabinet in the closet as suggested. The 1000.2 with Hybrid LNB (Western Arc) will arrive tomorrow and I am going to mount it before the scaffolding goes away. I will let the installer run the cables as needed.

Thank you again everyone for the great information.

Clay

I have decided to mount the dish mid way up the house instead of the roof line. Its more visible than I had hoped but I the Dish tech would just shake his head and walk away. I am also going to run conduit from the dish to the cabinet in the closet as suggested. The 1000.2 with Hybrid LNB (Western Arc) will arrive tomorrow and I am going to mount it before the scaffolding goes away. I will let the installer run the cables as needed.

Thank you again everyone for the great information.

Clay

Make sure when the installer shows up you take the Dish and LNB he was going to use for your instal.

Unless your hiring an independent guy and paying him cash, Any move or install scheduled through Dish includes a new satellite dish.

As far as conduit, look for 1.25 or 1.50 inch orange fiber duct.

So much easier than hard conduit.

Http://www.Dishretailer.com/newhouse.htm

My install. 5th or 6th picture down you will see my conduit dish install

Reactions: pattykay
If Dish ever wants to change out my LNB or dish, they will keep the new exactly where the current setup is- at the peak at the back of the house. There will be no discussion. No more holes in my roof.

And - does Dish no longer do gable mounts?

If Dish ever wants to change out my LNB or dish, they will keep the new exactly where the current setup is- at the peak at the back of the house. There will be no discussion. No more holes in my roof.

I myself screwed up my antenna mount location so often, both at my previous house and my current house, that I have lost count of the number of holes I have drilled. None leak. At least I'm competent with the roof sealant! :D

Is that Dishpointer augmented reality app still available? That would have spared me a lot of grief.

Reactions: pattykay
I'm just the opposite, nothing attached to the house. Ota & dish, both are pole mounts. Dish is safely tucked out of the way and easily serviceable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)