Satellite Dish Re-aim

MI_SAT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
How much should it cost to have someone come out and re-aim my dish? It is being removed while I get a new roof installed, but will be re-attached by the roofing company. They do not aim it, however.

Perhaps it's easy enough to aim it myself?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

i would try to do it yourself before paying someone to do it. it really is not that hard. don't mess with the skew or elevation when it is taken down and most likely all you will have to do is rotate it.

Should I mark the dish using marker on its various settings in case it does get moved when it is taken down?

MI_SAT said:
Should I mark the dish using marker on its various settings in case it does get moved when it is taken down?
good idea, in case it ever moves off setting.

Also, make sure that the roofing company levels the mast when they replace it. Without it being level all the other numbers are meaningless.

Being a complete novice...Can the mast be leveled AFTER the satellite is attached to the roof, or is leveling the mast PART of attaching it to the roof? (If the roofing company just attaches the base to the roof, can I level the mast after the fact?)

Thanks.

It can be leveled - if the foot is straight. You need to get a good mental picture of how it's setup now - when you mark the settings. Notice the geometry of the mounting foot and how the mast can be plumbed by changing it.

It is NOT hard to do, but you must pay attention. ;)

If the foot is going right back to the same place (the mounting foot into basically the same "footprint"), and no adjustment bolts are loosened, you have a good chance that NO re-aim will be needed. Signal strength might change - but it could actually be better depending on what the original installer did. ;)

Oh -and note your signal strengths on 110 & 119 transponders 11 & 12 BEFORE it comes down.

All great thoughts, everyone. I'll be climbing up on my ladder with my digital camera and markers tomorrow.

Put a level on across the top of the mast. It is level now. That is the important thing. It has to be level when the unit is put back on the roof. If they only take the bolts out of the base and put them back in after the roof is on in the very same holes, you'll be mostly home free.

(Note that level on the top is not in just one direction. Picture an X across the top and place the level on both lines of the X. It must be level all around.
If you happen to have a center bubble level, (such as popup campers come with for leveling them) setting this on the top of the mast is perfect. Mine is silightly larger than both the norma and Superdish masts and is perfect for this.

If it is a Dish500 or SuperDish it must be level on ALL sides of the mast in order for the skew numbers to be true otherwise you may have difficulty tuning in the other satellite(s).

Don't put a lot of faith in the roofing company correctly reinstalling your dish. Instead of lag screws I have seen them nailed in place, tarred in place I even saw one they cut the new roofing and left the original mounting alone. When the old roofing is removed and new roofing is installed even putting it back in the same holes won't gaurantee alignment. Due to different thicknesses the alignment will change. Your best method is shop local dealers for competetive bids and chose theone that gives the best service and price.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts