This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Satellite dish that doesn't need a power supply? Do they exist?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DaemonFC

Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Indiana
I ended up cutting my downstairs neighbor's line from the dish on the assumption that they were pirating my signal. DirecTV told me that nobody else had service here so I yanked it and then it turns out that "their grandmother" is paying for it.

So after explaining to the police what had happened :rant:, I ended up paying to have it fixed, but I noticed that the installer guy took my dish power supply.

My setup still works, and he told me I don't need an adapter with this kind of dish because he switched me over to some "new system".

My power adapter is downstairs, isn't it?

It plugged into a wall outlet and bridged the coaxial cable coming into the living room to one going out to the box.

He didn't seem to change anything on the dish, so either I never needed the thing or he's lying to me and gave it to the people downstairs.

question, did YOU have the original dish put in or was it already in place? if you put it in, it is your dish and they cannot use it without your permission so you have the right to cut it free and they cannot do a thing.

on another note though, they cannot pirate from your account just by hooking to the dish. each RX is coded for the account. you could actually have a dozen different people all hooked to the same dish and yet each has their own account and cannot charge to others accounts.

The dish itself was there since before the landlord bought the house.

During my installation, they replaced part of it, they said it had to be upgraded in order to be used.

I was under the impression it was my dish since I'm paying the protection plan on it and I had service before those people downstairs, and I was supposedly powering it with whatever that adapter was that the guy took off of it.

Whole situation is very confusing but the cops were pissed, the installer was pissed, the criminal neighbors downstairs that I probably should have just left alone are pissed.

It's "fixed" now and I think I'll just let white trash be white trash.

(Yeah, I have disputes with the neighbor.)

I told the DirecTV guy that he could hook it back up but I wouldn't guarantee that there would always be power running to the dish. That's when he supposedly did another "upgrade" and took that power supply with him.

If you have a SWiM LNB on your dish there is a power supply. A standard slimline doesn't require a power supply. If you had a DVR with a single line going to it and both tuners were functional, it was SWiM. A non-SWiM LNB has four lines running from it and requires a multiswitch to feed more tuners.

Curious OP,
Look in the menu's and see what Dish Type it says is hooked up.

Menu-Set Up-System Set Up-Info and Test-More System Info.

Scroll down a ways and there will be a spot that says "Dish Type", then you'll know what dish you really have and weather or not you need a power supply.

OK, so with this set up there is definitely a Power supply somewhere or it's not working ...
The SWM set up you said you currently have requires a Power Supply in order to work as the dish does not get the power from the recvrs anymore with this set up.

I think the real problem was the OP got in over his head by trying to be the "satellite police". If he had just checked his bill he would have seen that he wasn't paying any more than he should so nobody was stealing from him. If he really believed that there was theft of services involved he should have call DirecTV and let them investigate. I have a feeling that there is far more to this story than we'll ever know.

Seen these common dish things before. They turn into real pissing contests. Who pays to fix the dish when someone drives into it? LNBs fail, cables get cut and the users of the dish don't even speak to each other.

Is the answer to have one dish per customer? What if there isn't enough room on the tree for another dish? MDU operators can resolve it by just charging enough to fix things, make a profit and keep the children from fighting in the parking lot.

Joe

You are completely and utterly wrong here. There should be no sharing of a dish without the consent of both parties involved. There are too many issues that could come up, some of which could turn ugly.

DaemonFC, you need to get the power inserter reinstalled. It supplies power to the lnb. Your receiver is doing it now, but not at the right voltage, which will likely damage the power supply in your receiver eventually.

You are completely and utterly wrong here. There should be no sharing of a dish without the consent of both parties involved. There are too many issues that could come up, some of which could turn ugly.

Chip,
The dish belongs to neither of them as the dish was there when they moved in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.