Satellite dish types

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

johan

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 14, 2010
holland
What kind of satellite dish do you use on the other side of the ocean, so in Canada and America.
And I'm talking about prime focus or cassegrain or Gregorian prime focus. And do you have a picture of that.

Best regards

My C band dish is prime focus, Ku dishes are offset focus. I’ve only seen cassegrain on really big commercial earth stations. And Gregorian maybe look at those threads here where a guy is experimenting with reflecting signals between multiple dishes. Pic related is my 8.5 ft C band dish
30D91A60-7615-406A-86FC-2F77495C49EA.jpeg

My C band dish is prime focus, Ku dishes are offset focus. I’ve only seen cassegrain on really big commercial earth stations. And Gregorian maybe look at those threads here where a guy is experimenting with reflecting signals between multiple dishes. Pic related is my 8.5 ft C band dishView attachment 155731
how doe you call that ,with 1 arm.mostly it is with 3 ore 4 feedarms

I have the following types installed:
- Offset;
- Offset Gregorian;
- Offset Cassagrain;
- Prime-focus Gregorian;
- Prime-focus Cassagrain.
Do not have simple Prime-focus ATM, but it is not something very special.

Reactions: johan and Cham
In Canada I use prime focus C-band and offset Ku reflectors, that is except right now I am using one offset dish for C-band but it's 2.4m diameter.
One of the prime focus dish reflector has a buttonhook like the image above, the rest have the LNBF supported by struts.
Local uplink center uses cassagrain reflectors, likely out of convenience, since the feedhorn can then be located very close to the transmitter and traveling wave amplifier behind the main reflector to minimize waveguide losses.
If you are far north the offset dishes work better because the snow slides right off.. bit of wax once a year helps too.
Suppose if someone gave me a big cassagrain dish I would have to put it to good use, maybe for 10GHz EME?

Prime focus gregorian... thought that was the same as a cassagrain. I might require some education here... or Rima can you supply a photo?
:)

12' Button hook feed prime focus. Ku lnbf offset from center to get around the signal loss if it were aimed at dish center. Ku degree offset from C-band sats is 6 degrees east. Trial and error shows button hook hardware offset 45 degrees from true H-V provides more signal strength. Some boot waterproofing and a hair dryer in the fall keeps snow and sleet buildup to a minimum.
Memory serves me well. The cassegrain/gregorian feed commercial dishes from days past had a pressurized waveguide with a mylar window. From when LNA's were measured in degrees kelvin.

Attachments

• Dish_Face.jpg
    Dish_Face.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 115
Reactions: johan
I've seen the concave reflector in offset systems but I've never seen one on a prime focus configuration for some reason.

Guessing you have your defenses set too high. There is a picture.
I still don't see a picture associated with the OPs first post. Immediately after that first post someone said don't let the kitty get fried. So why are you slamming me?

I still don't see a picture associated with the OPs first post. Immediately after that first post someone said don't let the kitty get fried. So why are you slamming me?
Slamming you? haha No, I was joking that you must have your ad-blocker or similar set too high. :)
Only other guess is you have the poster right after him, that posted the picture, blocked.

I'm or was just interested in what kind of dishes you use. I think the Buttonhook is pretty special. And whether a cat or a cat or a pigeon is breeding on the Lnb's (nice isn't it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)