Satellite dish types

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Slamming you? haha No, I was joking that you must have your ad-blocker or similar set too high. :)
Only other guess is you have the poster right after him, that posted the picture, blocked.
I can see the video posted by FTA4PA but that's it.

My first dish was a Radio Shack branded perforated 8 foot dish with a buttonhook feed and HH motor (wish they still made consumer grade antennas with those types of motors). All my other C-band antennas have been prime focus with 4 feed supports.

Reactions: johan and FTA4PA
I'm or was just interested in what kind of dishes you use. I think the Buttonhook is pretty special. And whether a cat or a cat or a pigeon is breeding on the Lnb's (nice isn't it).

I don’t know about pigeons breeding in there but I do have a plastic cap on the LNBF to keep wasps/hornets/yellow jackets out

And in case anyone is wondering I posted a picture of my dish turned all the way East and the cats got on it lol

No kitties were microwaved during my FTA tenure :)

Reactions: FTA4PA
The OP didn't post a picture so what is this nonsense about not letting the kitty get fried?
My C band dish is prime focus, Ku dishes are offset focus. I’ve only seen cassegrain on really big commercial earth stations. And Gregorian maybe look at those threads here where a guy is experimenting with reflecting signals between multiple dishes. Pic related is my 8.5 ft C band dishView attachment 155731
The picture....You'll have "view attachment"

I've never seen one on a prime focus configuration for some reason.
This is very popular. For example, Andrew 4.6m ground station is one of them (I have one). The most seldom is Cassagrain offset setup, this, as far as I know is really rare as chicken teeth. Only one company made one model long time ago and that was it. And I have it too, it is on my avatar.

Slamming you? haha No, I was joking that you must have your ad-blocker or similar set too high. :)
Only other guess is you have the poster right after him, that posted the picture, blocked.
Park your parakeet in front of your Viasat or HughesNet dish sometime and do some heavy streaming.
Makes for a nice afternoon tid-bit....once you get past the feathers.

RimaNTSS, thought your Andrews dish was a convex secondary. The big uplink dishes near here look like they use a convex reflector, unless that is just a radome, but not sure if there is room in there for anything. Next time in the area I might stop by and ask since I know some of the techs there. This is obvously something I have not paid that much attention to.

Reactions: RimaNTSS
When at VLA, one of the guides mentioned Gregorian. Looking back at one of the pictures I took when down there looks like a convex sub-reflector, which would make it a basic cassigrain. Maybe there is some confusion in the industry regarding terminology.
Attached the image.

(back on topic) The button hook is a fine design as long as the feed support is strong enough to keep the assembly stable in high winds, ice accretion, etc. It allows adjustment of the scaler ring by moving the supporting pole in and out (most models) to maximize signals (focal depth). The feedhorn position can also be adjusted as with a tri-pod or quad-pod feed support. Some add cables or rods to further support the feed horn assembly if it's not a strong support. The button-hook dish I have uses several bolts in a hub to hold and centre the feed.

Attachments

• VLA-8-251.JPG
    VLA-8-251.JPG
    145.9 KB · Views: 114
Reactions: arlo
When at VLA, one of the guides mentioned Gregorian. Looking back at one of the pictures I took when down there looks like a convex sub-reflector, which would make it a basic cassigrain. Maybe there is some confusion in the industry regarding terminology.
Attached the image.

(back on topic) The button hook is a fine design as long as the feed support is strong enough to keep the assembly stable in high winds, ice accretion, etc. It allows adjustment of the scaler ring by moving the supporting pole in and out (most models) to maximize signals (focal depth). The feedhorn position can also be adjusted as with a tri-pod or quad-pod feed support. Some add cables or rods to further support the feed horn assembly if it's not a strong support. The button-hook dish I have uses several bolts in a hub to hold and centre the feed.
I upgraded my button hook feed with thick wall aluminum tubing. Very rigid now from the original. Just enough room in the bore to pass 2 pieces of coax through without F connectors.

Reactions: Cham
Di
Why is there a (curvature) in the knob hook
Different manufacturers design the LNB support differently likely due to patents etc. As long as it positions the feed horn at the focal point. Bending the pipe might maintain strength while minimizing manufacturing processes.
Also keeping the support a bit to one side helps to minimize it's RF shadow effect.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts