Satellite instillation SOB

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mexsunny

Original poster
May 6, 2006
Mexico/New Mexico
Thought you might be interested in these pictures of a "South Of The Border" instillation.

I have lived most of the time in a small rural Mexican pueblo for the past 10 years. The pueblo is about 500 miles south of Nogales AZ./Sonora on the Sea of Cortez, and up until the last few years the only gringo residents was me, my wife and an individual who is married to a Mexican woman. (I am sure he is on America's most wanted list somewhere)

We do not have phone service, and until this year not even cellular. My only form of communication is through Hughesnet satellite Internet which I move back and forth from the states.

The local satellite installer, -- Hughesnet, Sky, and Mexican FTA -- showed up at my gate and ask for help installing a Hughesnet system for a new cyber-cafe about 50 miles south. They had installed the system and could not locate the satellite (satmex 6). I have helped him in the past and he knew I had a Birdog meter.

When We got there they did not have a level for the mast, nor a compass to find direction, just a matter of point somewhere south and moving the antenna until they find it, some times taking days.

attached are some pictures.

I will also post some pictures of my antenna farm

Attachments

• Hur07 003.jpg
    Hur07 003.jpg
    814.1 KB · Views: 373
  • Hur07 004.jpg
    Hur07 004.jpg
    874.4 KB · Views: 356
  • Hur07 005.jpg
    Hur07 005.jpg
    800.1 KB · Views: 323
So, knowing this, can someone tell my why, in the States, they 'require' a professional installer on 2-way sat systems??
I helped a friend move his 'net sat dish off his house onto a pole in the backyard before they moved his house to build a new one...
Installer was going to charge him $250 to do it...

14karat, it's for liability purposes since it transmits. You need a pro intall in Canada too for 2 way internet. Maybe the Mexican's are supposed to use them also but with the lax enforcements down there they probably don't worry about it.

When you live in the States or Canada you get used to a controlled environment and the the rules of "The Man". Mexico is a very easy country to live in with a lot more individual freedoms and less control from a national point.

Some examples are, it is not illegal to escape from prison or jail as every one is entitled to freedom, it is only illegal if you hurt some on in the process. Satellite signals are considered free for any one to capture and use, except for SKY service. If you can afford to purchase and program a two-way radio to the local police frequencies you are free to do so and communicate with them from your home or car. You only have to stop at a stop-sign if some one is coming. You are free to drink and drive and only pay a small fine if they consider you intoxicated.

It is a good feeling to enjoy many of the freedoms we posed in the past up north. It is a slow paced country that still takes time to enjoy life and its pleasures.

Hughesnet requires a installer identification number which is used any number of different installers. Their training consist of going out with some one and just learning by doing.

No dark suburbans tracking you down.

Hughesnet requires a installer identification number which is used any number of different installers. Their training consist of going out with some one and just learning by doing.

That basically is lack of enforcement, no? Wait till they interfere with another sat and risk a lawsuit. Or are lawsuits not enforced there also?

I like the part about being legal to escape from jail, but I don't think I'd like going into jail there in the first place. The drinking and driving and stop sign rules wouldn't make me feel very safe as a pedestrian or a driver.

I have helped him in the past and he knew I had a Birdog meter.

It looks like a prime market for satellite signal meters and compasses. Here is a list of the meters we carry: Sadoun is a stocking source of Super Buddy, SatHawk, and BIRDOG satellite signal meters

I would love to sell a few in MEXICO. Maybe that will make them speed up the installation a bit.

The picture of the sky is so beautiful.

Since it is so sunny most of the time, it is an ideal location for Solar hot water heating panels and PV electric generation. Also, with concrete flat roofs like that, it would be a snap installing these solar panels.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts