Satellite Internet for South America?

rgs

Original poster
Apr 22, 2007
I am desperately seeking information about satellite Internet service for a remote location in South America, and not even HughesNet will answer my e-mails.

I live in a remote location outside of Bogota Colombia, HughesNet offers service from Canada to Brazil and some countries in between. (however no sales reps in Colombia)

My question is, if I subscribe to their service in the U.S. could I have the system installed here in Colombia? HighesNet has several satellites and I know they do not make a u-turn when they reach Colombia.

THANKS in advance for any help someone could offer, my direct e-mail is: www.ColombiaFarmVacations.com

Bob S

In response to your e-mail:

DSL never became available, though I signed up and after was told I couldn't get DSL. My post was asking how I could sell equipment if I was able to--really hoped I would be able to--not really knowing 100% sure that I would be able to get DSL and therefore 100% sure I'd get rid of equipment.

I don't think Hughesnet equipment from here in the US will work where you're at. If they don't offer service in your region, then likely there is nothing you can do. Even if you buy equipment, there might not be any way to activate (you'd have to for it to work) so that you'd have service. The most I see on their page is Brazil, don't see anything else in South America. The thing is, if you activate here in the US, they assign you a certain satellite and transponder. If you then move service to your location, connection won't work, because you will no longer be able to see your assigned satellite and transponder. Now, I guess you could try getting activated in Brazil (since it is closer to you than U.S.) and perhaps be able to see activated satellite from your location, but I doubt it.

Does Columbia have any national broadband objectives? In other words, is there a push in your country to get broadband out to the people--I know there are a lot of countries that are ahead of the U.S. in this regard, just don't know about Columbia? If there is, then hopefully, you'll not have to wait long before finally getting broadband. If not, there isn't a whole lot that I know of that you could do. Sorry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)