satellite meter help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RidgeRunner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 30, 2005
Raymond, Maine, United States
I am a hobbiest and I like the birdog meter how it will tell you what bird you are one. I have been looking for a less expensive alternative. I see the firststrike fs1 you input the info and then the meter alerts you when your on the bird.

What other meters have a similar feature? That is what I find most frustrating when peaking a dish with my spectrum analyzer is that I have no idea what bird I am on. Unless I go inside and blind scan it.

What other meters have a similar feature? That is what I find most frustrating when peaking a dish with my spectrum analyzer is that I have no idea what bird I am on. Unless I go inside and blind scan it.

I don't know if you will get much sympathy with a statement like that. ;)

Some SAs have an option to save an image of what you're looking at and let you label what the memories are. My SA allows me to save up to 50 images although it won't let me name what they are. If yours doesn't have any memory ability you could also use a digital camera and print the image, then label it as a particular sat.

I can recognize a half dozen sats now just by the waveform I see. 99w and 91w are the easiest for me to spot because they have analog on them and those signals look like a fir tree, where digital signals have flat tops.

I don't think I could justify getting a meter that could be used to identify a sat if I had an SA. That said, I do have a Birdog v3 but I had that before I got the SA. I haven't used the Birdog since, either.

How about a $50 user programmable meter? For SD FTA C and Ku band signals, the Coolsat 5000 receiver is one of the most friendly "meters" that I know of. Honestly, I am not joking with this. I have a $700 Super Buddy meter and for SD FTA signals, it is much easier to use an old Coolsat 5000 that costs $50 or less with a portable TV.

I LOVE my Super Buddy, and I must use it to set up specific satellites (expressly DirecTV and DN television broadcast sats and Wild Blue sat internet and Hughes Net), but if you are just doing FTA, the Coolsat is the way to go in my opinion. I personally rely upon my old Coolst 5K as a piece of test equipment and it truly does serve me well.

RADAR

for free to air the firtstrike f1 the best I have one and are the best for free to air to aline to find the satellites are fast and good.Before I uze the coolsat 5000 to install .Butt my friends the firtstrike very good dont compare to coolsat 5000 firtstrike aline any dish at 99.9 to 100 percent quality .

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts