Satellite meter settings

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RT-Cat

"My person-well trained"
Original poster
May 30, 2011
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
This is for the meter and math guys out there.
Would a sat meter with 35 miles off your actual location for Lat or Long make any real difference?

RT

Latitude spacing is relatively constant and each degree of latitude equals approximately 69 miles.

Longitude degree spacing is dependent on your latitude position. At the Equator, each degree is approximately 69 miles. At the North or South Poles, each degree is 0 miles.

Applying to your question, 35 miles distance from the original location would be an estimated 1/2 degree latitude variation. I would estimate that in Michigan the Longitude variable for 35 miles would be approximately 1/4 of a degree.

This could be exactly calculated when based on the actual longitude and Latitude positions.

Latitude spacing is relatively constant and each degree of latitude equals approximately 69 miles.

Longitude degree spacing is dependent on your latitude position. At the Equator, each degree is approximately 69 miles. At the North or South Poles, each degree is 0 miles.

Applying to your question, 35 miles distance from the original location would be an estimated 1/2 degree latitude variation. I would estimate that in Michigan the Longitude variable for 35 miles would be approximately 1/4 of a degree.

This could be exactly calculated when based on the actual longitude and Latitude positions.
Yes, I came up with that 69 miles also and a few of the other figures. But, the question is still there. Would 35 miles off in the meter setting make an important difference?

RT

My experience is that 1/4 degree error for USALS longitude will make a difference but probably won't lose signal. 1/2 degree could lose your signal. So my answer is yes, 35 miles off makes a difference.

Is 35 miles off in latitude (N/S) or longitude (E/W)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)