Satellite reception

JDUB4OU

Original poster
Feb 4, 2008
I just moved to a new house and had a Dish Network installer come out to install a dish so I could move my service. My new house is totally surrounded by very tall trees. He said he was not going to be able to get service at this location and I was going to have to cancel my service and go to cable.

Do I have any other options to be able to keep my service?

I do have a view of the sky directly above my house but not at a 45 degree angle.

I got a call from some salesman the other day that was wanting to sell me Dish Network service. I told him that I could not get service at this address, due to tall trees surrounding my house. He said, that he had a solution that would enable me to put a satellite on top of my house and look straight up in the sky that would enable me to get Dish Network Satellite. He was supposed to send me some information and it has never showed up.

Has anyone else heard of technology like this?
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Well, I've never heard of anything like what he is talking about, but it is possible depending on your location that you could get Eastern arc (higher look angles for the east coast). It is currently only an option very rare situations, so you may need to wait a few months (or if you are on the west coast you may never get it). read some of the postings about it and see if it might be something that would work for you.

I live in Oklahoma.

there is NO such solution as a Dish that points STRAIGHT up in the sky in order to get a DBS satellite. He was feeding you a line of bull.

1 small leaf will block a signal. let alone tall trees up to your house.

only thing you can do if you cant find loine of sight on the ground/roof, is to either put in a special telephone pole that can get you above the trees or take down the offending trees.

When I ordered Dish, the first installer that came out to my house said that I'd also get no reception (even though there was already a Dish attached to my roof and all I needed was a wing dish for 61.5) due to a large tree in the way. I called back a couple times to complain and they sent someone out for a "second opinion" free of charge (I sure as heck wasn't going to pay extra) and the second guy had me hooked up within 2 hours of arriving.

So call and ask that they send a different installer to take a look. Now, my house isn't exactly "surrounded" by trees, but if you get the right installer willing to put in some extra effort you may be surprised with the result.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to get Dish HD or just SD programming? Because my 110/119 dish is aimed almost right at that "impenetrable fortress" of a tree and I haven't had any signal strength problems (except in severe thunderstorm activity).

When I ordered Dish, the first installer that came out to my house said that I'd also get no reception (even though there was already a Dish attached to my roof and all I needed was a wing dish for 61.5) due to a large tree in the way. I called back a couple times to complain and they sent someone out for a "second opinion" free of charge (I sure as heck wasn't going to pay extra) and the second guy had me hooked up within 2 hours of arriving.

So call and ask that they send a different installer to take a look. Now, my house isn't exactly "surrounded" by trees, but if you get the right installer willing to put in some extra effort you may be surprised with the result.

Out of curiosity, are you trying to get Dish HD or just SD programming? Because my 110/119 dish is aimed almost right at that "impenetrable fortress" of a tree and I haven't had any signal strength problems (except in severe thunderstorm activity).

a dish can "look" like its pointed directly at trees, but you must know that the signal comes down from quite a bit above that, hits the dish and bounces into the LNBs. If you have TALL trees right up to the house - good luck with that.

sure, try and get a second opinion, cant hurt.

I believe the look angles are about 40 to 42 for a 1k2 dish in Oklahoma. I would definitely call for a second opinion. OKC hd locals come off of spotbeam on 119 so you could use a Dish 500 for 110 and 119 and a second dish for 61.5 if 129 is blocked.

I am in Stillwater, OK, So OSU 1991, are you in Stillwater?

I am trying to get HD and all the SD channels.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, I think I may try to get a second opinion.

One more item we all must consider if we move. Check it out to make sure you have los to sats.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)