Satellite Spiltter for KU setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Murphdog

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 6, 2005
I'm setting up a new motorized KU setup Friday and have a few questions about using mulitple receivers. I have used a spliter in the past that passes only one of the receivers voltage to the LNB. I have seen splitters that pass the voltage from both receivers out to the LNB but isolate the receivers from each other. Can one of these be used in a multiple receiver setup? I want to be able to repostion the dish no mater what receiver I'm on, but something tell me that passing voltage from both receivers to the LNB may not be safe. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

I would NOT use a splitter of any kind in a satellite cable run!

Murphdog said:
I'm setting up a new motorized KU setup Friday and have a few questions about using mulitple receivers. I have used a spliter in the past that passes only one of the receivers voltage to the LNB. I have seen splitters that pass the voltage from both receivers out to the LNB but isolate the receivers from each other. Can one of these be used in a multiple receiver setup? I want to be able to repostion the dish no mater what receiver I'm on, but something tell me that passing voltage from both receivers to the LNB may not be safe. Any sugestions would be appreciated.

It's better to get a dual LNB as they receivers can be on separate polarities. But there are these:

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/Splitters.htm

I normally would not do it, but at minimum I have a DMX receiver and a Pansat 3500 that are going to be connected. I have used this configuration before with a stationary dish with minimal loss. It would be nice to be able to tune different receivers on the same sat and polarity or repostion the dish from another room. If I have to modulate the video and use an IR extender I will, but I was looking for an alternate setup. I had never seen the spliters where it passed the DC voltage from both receiver ports to the LNB.

Digiblur...Is it safe to have both receivers power the LNB? I am going to add another LNB at some point, but my underground pipe to my dishes is at capacity at this time.

I use the passthrue on my ultra,but I can only watch one tv at a time.
you can also use the TV out to another tv and watch two tv's at the same time on the same station.
Reinhold.

Murphdog said:
Digiblur...Is it safe to have both receivers power the LNB? I am going to add another LNB at some point, but my underground pipe to my dishes is at capacity at this time.

No, it's not safe.. I'd slave them instead of splitting them. If you can't turn off the LNB power on the other reciever put a DC block and connected it to the "IF out" port on the FTA receiver. Some receivers have a DC block built in but do you want to chance it? This is how a DVB PCI card setup would be done.

hi there have 2 dish and need to join up the to lnbs to getter where i live can have a big dish and can be seen so i got 2 . 45 cm dishs going point the same way and hope i could get the same single and then join them to getter ..

will you split a single to a tv why not join a single
not a diseqc switch i need but the same but outher way any one can help me

pls any help would be helpful
thks
jurdy

So you have two dish pointing at the same satellite and you want to hook them up together for more signal/quaity?

PSB said:
So you have two dish pointing at the same satellite and you want to hook them up together for more signal/quaity?
i live in old english town old buildings have a dish with a quad lnb for 4 house but that on sky astra2 28.2east need to pick up TVE Espana on astra1 19.2 now 40 cm dish is ok but wind and rain no single have 2 dish headen away in the roof top ... old water tank that we dont use any more all the telphone /power cables are under ground ,
now front off my house has no wires no hole in the windons (old ones with new ones behind them ... the back off my house also looks out on to main road ... my Neighbours are fine with our sky dish but 1 off then have gone to the loacl building Inspector told about my 80 cm dish (told to take it down are that would at my cost

Now the building Inspector say if i could hide it i be ok .... so over a cup off tea i told him about the old tank that was not uesd ... he give me 8 weeks to take it down but the 80cm dish wont fix are would pick it up a single but a 40 cm would ....

any help pls jurdy

ANYTHING can be solved over a cup of tea :)

Have a look at the below link and pictures. Maybe its possible to invert ( install upside down) the dish and no one will see it!

Then there are see through dish available in the good old UK!

http://www.bbrv.dreamstation.com/sat.html

Attachments

• d_57_02.jpg
    d_57_02.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 190
  • Pict0080.JPG
    Pict0080.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 177
ya could be only 40 cm dish would work 80 cm dish arm would stand up to hight and i have problems again dont want to piss off the building Inspector and the Neighbour she 65 and dose not work but in Neighbour Council dont want to get on her bad side ... have a jeep and van park out side back off my house and 1 car space it old town old lol

Attachments

• Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
fastxt said:
hi there have 2 dish and need to join up the to lnbs to getter where i live can have a big dish and can be seen so i got 2 . 45 cm dishs going point the same way and hope i could get the same single and then join them to getter ..

The only way this can work is if the signals coming from both dishes are exactly in phase with one another and it would be very difficult, and likely impossible, for you to achieve this because at microwave frequencies wavelengths are very small. Therefore even the slightest difference in the length of the path the incoming signal takes to reach the dish would result in the incoming signals being too much out of phase and even if you could eliminate this problem youd have problems with minute differences in the LNBs and the coax cable coming from the LNBs. Bottom line this is not practical and probably not achieveable with ordinary equipment.

PSB said:
I think the OP is trying to pick up the two Astra orbital positions on the same dish!

19.2ºE and 28.2ºE

http://lyngsat.com/europe.html
will it only one i wanted to pick up and that 19.2ºE 28.2east bbc/itv channel are on a weak single due to them been ftv
will you see nasa with few dish long a line pick up what ever it make the dish 10 times bigger

Dr_Brian_Oblivion only fryying i am doing is few eggs on the pan and thanks for the tip will keep that in mind

there is some think r some one how know what iam need so going to wait my time out on this one ... to many cups off tea and red wine to the next door and i have the letter telling me to take it down are that will and at my cost ...building Inspector has been very helpful and give me a time to sort out what happen

it the Neighbour that wants the saucers farm down ..... ha

Have you considered placing the dishes inside of your attic and replacing a section of tiles with alternative covering? Last year, while visiting Germany, I met a family who experienced similar restrictions and had installed the dishes in the attic crawl space and used replacement tiles that were RF transparent. The tiles matched very closely and I would never have noticed had they not been pointed out to me!

The family had great results except during heavy rain when water would sheet the surface. I had suggested that they use a water repellant to minimize. I don't have additional information and a brief Google did not yield results, but the product does exist!

SatelliteAV said:
Have you considered placing the dishes inside of your attic and replacing a section of tiles with alternative covering? Last year, while visiting Germany, I met a family who experienced similar restrictions and had installed the dishes in the attic crawl space and used replacement tiles that were RF transparent. The tiles matched very closely and I would never have noticed had they not been pointed out to me!

The family had great results except during heavy rain when water would sheet the surface. I had suggested that they use a water repellant to minimize. I don't have additional information and a brief Google did not yield results, but the product does exist!
ys seen that befor but was in spain in Trifia West board to portaugl

have old water tank on the roof and that where going hide the dish there
try to learn about the works off the lnbs and it voltage think
jurdy

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts