Satellite Transponder has Different Readings for Hoppers

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
I have two Hoppers that have lower signal strength for one of the satellite’s transponder than my other two Hoppers. In the Network Setup Tests menu (Yellow - Blue - 3) select Send Status and then select Connection. After the connection test is complete select Check Signal. For satellite 118, tuner #3, transponder #1 the signal strength is 37 to 38 in two of my Hoppers. In my other two Hoppers the strength is 57 to 58 for the same satellite 118, tuner #3, transponder #1. Does anyone know what could be causing the different readings between the four Hoppers? I don’t know much how the LNBs and switches/nodes work, but attached is my wiring diagram if someone wants me to swap around the coax to see if it could be an LNB, switch, node, or something else. There must be something causing two Hoppers to have a big difference in readings than the other two. All other satellite signal readings appear normal and everything is working ok. Just thought maybe someone would like a challenge to figure it out. Thanks for any help.

HopperDiagram-Pri118signal.jpg

I'd be looking for a bad cable between the DPP44s.

I've never stacked DPP44s so I'm not sure if what you're seeing is normal.

I'd be looking for a bad cable between the DPP44s.

I've never stacked DPP44s so I'm not sure if what you're seeing is normal.

OK, thanks harshness. When I first seen it I thought maybe the Hoppers with readings that are close to each other were coming from the same Duo Nodes. But after a check of the wiring diagram it that was not so.

Ya try checking the 118 feed (should be port 4) between the DPP44s. Sometimes a simple unscrew/rescrew can fix.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Ya try checking the 118 feed (should be port 4) between the DPP44s. Sometimes a simple unscrew/rescrew can fix.

I changed the 118 coax between the two DPP44 switches (port 4) and there was no change in readings. Did you see in my wiring diagram how the Hoppers with the close readings from 118, tuner 3, transporter 1 are coming from different DPP44 switches and Duo Nodes? One Hopper with 37 to 38 reading is coming from the left switch/duo node and the other Hopper is coming from the right switch/duo node. For the other two Hoppers that are reading 57 to 58, again, one is coming from the left side switch/node and the other Hopper is coming from the right switch/node. Isn't this a hint of what might be the issue? I do not know how all them there LNBs, switches, and nodes do their magic but it seems like something is causing the different readings. Here is that troubleshooting wiring diagram again.

HopperDiagram-Pri118signal.jpg

That is quite odd... I guess next thing to try would be to reconnect the feeds between the nodes and the switches?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Could try resetting the switches by unplugging all receivers and power inserters for fifteen minutes too

You could also have a bad switch

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

OK, when I have a chance I will isolate the left side switch/node/Hoppers from the right side by running the four satellite coax to one switch at a time with the other switch completely disconnected. Will take readings and go from there. But, I am going to try 3HaloODST suggestion in post #11 first. Thanks for your help.

Could try resetting the switches by unplugging all receivers and power inserters for fifteen minutes too

OK, will try that out when I get a chance. This may be hard to work in because my wife is a school teacher and she is off for the summer and my kid is home too. They would go nuts with no TV while I am playing around with my hobby.

Is it ok to power up all four Hoppers at the same time or should one at a time be fired up? What would happen if I disconnected the jumper coax that connects the two Duo Nodes? I could try that first and take transponder readings. You never know, the two nodes may not like that there jumper coax! LOL

Just swap two hopper locations( good and bad one) and see if bad signal is related to location or receiver. If location look into cable connections or maybe node. Otherwise it may be a receiver issue.

Just swap two hopper locations( good and bad one) and see if bad signal is related to location or receiver. If location look into cable connections or maybe node. Otherwise it may be a receiver issue.

OK, will give it a try. I don't really think it is receiver issue with the readings so close to each other. But, you never know.

OK, will try that out when I get a chance. This may be hard to work in because my wife is a school teacher and she is off for the summer and my kid is home too. They would go nuts with no TV while I am playing around with my hobby.

Is it ok to power up all four Hoppers at the same time or should one at a time be fired up? What would happen if I disconnected the jumper coax that connects the two Duo Nodes? I could try that first and take transponder readings. You never know, the two nodes may not like that there jumper coax! LOL

I personally like to boot all receivers individually just to make sure. Not sure how much (if any) difference it makes though. I doubt that the jumper will have any effect on the readings, but I guess you never know! I personally haven't had any erratic TP issues but I also don't have/need 118.

I personally like to boot all receivers individually just to make sure. Not sure how much (if any) difference it makes though. I doubt that the jumper will have any effect on the readings, but I guess you never know! I personally haven't had any erratic TP issues but I also don't have/need 118.

OK, thanks.

Well, after extensive troubleshooting with help from 3HaloODST, I am a broke man and have given up. A Technician thru the DIRT folks has been requested. The transponder reading spread is not receiver related. The transponder lower readings (37 to 39) comes from the Duo Node left host port. The higher readings (57 to 59) comes from the right host port. The problem appears to be someplace from the Dish antenna to the coax connector that attaches to the left DPP44 switch. Unless the switch or node is built that way for some reason which to me would be highly unlikely, but you never know.

Well, after extensive troubleshooting with help from 3HaloODST, I am a broke man and have given up. A Technician thru the DIRT folks has been requested. The transponder reading spread is not receiver related. The transponder lower readings (37 to 39) comes from the Duo Node left host port. The higher readings (57 to 59) comes from the right host port. The problem appears to be someplace from the Dish antenna to the coax connector that attaches to the left DPP44 switch. Unless the switch or node is built that way for some reason which to me would be highly unlikely, but you never know.

You never know, sometimes the LNB can do funny things.

Dish Anywhere not loading in Web Browser

HWS lost all connected remotes overnight?!?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)