Satellite TV on PC Monitor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Z.K.

Original poster
Sep 3, 2011
Washington
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can hook up my satellite TV to my PC monitor. I assume that I need some kind of tuner for my PC.

I had Dish Network installed for two rooms. The one is hooked from the Dish Network receiver to my HDTV via an HDMI connection. The other is through a coax cable to my other room where I have my PC monitor.

I thought I could just buy a tuner and it would work so I bought a WinTV-HVR 950Q tuner thinking it would work, but I see now that even though it supposedly works on cable TV, it must be different for Satellite TV. In any case, it would not work and and could get no signal whatsoever.

So, what do I actually need to watch my Satellite on my computer monitor. I have a 24" high resolution monitor capable of 1920 x 1080. Or would I be better offing buying another HDTV with a PC input.

Z.K.

I have a WinTV-HVR 950Q connected to the coax out on a 211k receiver. When you do the set up on the WinTV you will need to scan for analog cable. It should find the signal on something like channel 73 from the tv2 coax output of a dual tuner.

Ron

Hi, if I'm reading this correct you should be able to setup the TV-card on channel 3 or 4 just like you would with an old analog TV. That should at least get you a SD picture. I have a small TV in the kitchen hooked to the coax TV output on a 211 that way and it works fine. Later, DC

Z.K. said:
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how I can hook up my satellite TV to my PC monitor. I assume that I need some kind of tuner for my PC.

I had Dish Network installed for two rooms. The one is hooked from the Dish Network receiver to my HDTV via an HDMI connection. The other is through a coax cable to my other room where I have my PC monitor.

I thought I could just buy a tuner and it would work so I bought a WinTV-HVR 950Q tuner thinking it would work, but I see now that even though it supposedly works on cable TV, it must be different for Satellite TV. In any case, it would not work and and could get no signal whatsoever.

So, what do I actually need to watch my Satellite on my computer monitor. I have a 24" high resolution monitor capable of 1920 x 1080. Or would I be better offing buying another HDTV with a PC input.

When using the home distribution or tv2 out put the tuner on your tv 2, in this case the tuner card in ur PC shoild be set to receive an OTA signal. My 722 was set for channel 60 out of the box.
Also remember that the tv2 output is SD only.

Ross

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

Z.K.

I have a WinTV-HVR 950Q connected to the coax out on a 211k receiver. When you do the set up on the WinTV you will need to scan for analog cable. It should find the signal on something like channel 73 from the tv2 coax output of a dual tuner.

Ron

Thanks a lot! That worked. I was pulling my hair out. I guess I thought the signal should be digital rather than analog. My Channel ended up being on 116 rather than 60 that cable company said should be the channel for the second TV. Of course the quality is not that great at full screen like it would be on an HDTV, but at least it works and I did not need to spend $300.00 or more on a new TV.

:D

Hi, if I'm reading this correct you should be able to setup the TV-card on channel 3 or 4 just like you would with an old analog TV. That should at least get you a SD picture. I have a small TV in the kitchen hooked to the coax TV output on a 211 that way and it works fine. Later, DC
3/4 doesn't work for 722k or 922 unless you have an MT2 module. The "home distribution" coaxial outputs on the 722k & 922 are user configurable but not down as low as 3 or 4 (73 / 75 etc..)

How about Dish Online if he has a VIP?
too frequently this isn't reliable enough. Or just the frustrations with it .. for the past month or more .... attempting DVR playback through DO takes minimum 90 seconds (DRA <30) and that's *if* its going to play the DVR event, plus the speed of channel or content change is horrid by comparison with a UHF remote.

When using the home distribution or tv2 out put the tuner on your tv 2, in this case the tuner card in ur PC shoild be set to receive an OTA signal. My 722 was set for channel 60 out of the box.
Also remember that the tv2 output is SD only.
and with the Home Distribution port on the 722k .. you get both TV1 & TV2 output on one cable .. this is in effect a "whole home dvr" so long as you use UHF remotes.. and don't mind that the signal would only be SD across the coax.

Not a bad solution but since you have a 722k receiver I'd recommend getting a Sling Adapter so that you can get a much better picture out of it. I think there's still a promotion going on where you pay $99 and get a $99 mail in rebate for the unit as well.

I have an almost identical setup to the OP and have found another interesting benefit to it. If you upgrade to WinTV 7.2 (which you can find on the Hauppauge website) you will get a feature called WinTV extend. This feature allows you to use the 950q or other compatible Hauppauge tuner card like a Slingbox. If your DVR is connected to the internet and registered on the DISH Remote Access website (dish.sling.com) you can use that to change channels on the TV2 output while you view remotely on WinTV extend. I don't have sufficient privileges to install apps on my work computer so I can't use the Dish Sling adapter at work. WinTV Remote uses a Flash viewer through the browser and works just fine without any additional plugins. It is the only way I can watch TV remotely from my work computer, and also works pretty well now on iPad, iPhone, Android, and pretty much anything that can use Flash.

I don't have sufficient privileges to install apps on my work computer so I can't use the Dish Sling adapter at work.
The security weenies at work did prevent me from installing the IE ActiveX plug-in. My workaround was to install both FF and the FF DRA plug-in in my Documents and Settings directory tree. ;)

Thanks a lot! That worked. I was pulling my hair out. I guess I thought the signal should be digital rather than analog. My Channel ended up being on 116 rather than 60 that cable company said should be the channel for the second TV. Of course the quality is not that great at full screen like it would be on an HDTV, but at least it works and I did not need to spend $300.00 or more on a new TV.

:D

You're Welcome. Glad to hear you got it working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)