Satelliteguys 9/28/05 Around The Diamond...

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Braves Clinched their 14 consecutive Division Win. This is an amazing feast since every year the "baseball gods" pick the brave to lose the division and someone else win it.

L.A. Angels of Anaheim Clinched A.L. West Division Despite a big move by the Oakland As in the second half of the season, the Angels come away with a Division Title. How good will the Angels be in the playoffs is yet to be seen. These Angels team is a very good team that can be a headache in the playoffs.

Philies/Astros NL W.C battle With less than 6 games to go in the season, Philies will be very unlikely to make it to the playoffs. Houston has proven that with their 3 strong starters and an excellent closer they could win despite their anemic offense. They could be dangerous in the playoffs because of their starters and closer. It is not over till it is over but it is getting closer.

N.L West Padres/Giants First time I will see a team under .500 win a division. What a disgrace of a division!!!! I predict that they will be gone in the first round of the playoffs. I certainly do not want to see them beyond that.

A.L. You could say that there are 4 playoff spots left and 5 teams competing for a spot. 6 games, 6 days left and the Indians, Yankees, and Red Sox are all tied in the W.C. race. The Yankees and RedSox are tied in the A.L East and the White Sox have a two game lead over the Indians in the A.L Central. The White Sox can guaranteed a playoff spot by winning the next 3 games. If they win the next two against the tigers and one against the Indians, it will be over for the A.L. Central. However, should they lose two games, it could be very interested. Last night even though they lost and the other 3 teams lost, they gained in the schedule because there are less games to play.

What's important from now on is to WIN games. It will be interested how the standing shape up after tonight.

Sean Mota said:
N.L West Padres/Giants First time I will see a team under .500 win a division. What a disgrace of a division!!!! I predict that they will be gone in the first round of the playoffs. I certainly do not want to see them beyond that.
Certainly true if SF wins the division. Padres could be at .500 with a win tonight.

Injuries are no disgrace. Lots of them were concentrated in the NL West this season. The Giants are streaking now, and could be dangerous in the playoffs. SD's offense is generally anemic, but the pitching is good. I wouldn't take either one in a series with StL or Atlanta, but it might still be interesting.

Sometimes, I wish it were like the old days, two leagues, no divisions. Take the four best teams based on record and have a go. Having anyone in the NL West in the playoffs this year, is a real travesty.

"Injuries are no disgrace."

I agree. You will have problems playing .500 when you have serious injuries to your #1 starter (Schmidt), closer (Benitez) and cleanup hitter (Bonds) not to mention minor injuries to Durham, Alou and Snow. SF Giants finally got all their players back in September and they are playing better baseball but of course it's too late now. 10-5 since Bonds joined them for .666.

San Diego and LA had a lot of injuries too all season long, so it's not a surprise that all these teams are under .500.

I'm a Giants fan and we have had a rough year. When your roster has to change everyday because of a new injury. The team never really gets in a grove. The trade for Winn was the best move they have made at mid season in several years. I just hate they let Mohr go in the off season. I really think he could have contributed this year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)