SatelliteGuys Exclusive: Dish 942 News

Ok, I think I've got it...Dish Network's solution for USB External storage is having to buy a really, really Big PocketDISH with a 300GB hard drive. The really big, and really expensive Big PocketDISH is supported free of change...just as long as you fork over $449 to purchase the unit. OTher USB devices will not be supported or supported only after paying a $4.99 enabling fee per month.

This is just another example of Dish overselling the capabilities of their products with features that will be "enabled" in the future.

I guess the best practice is to never believe that Dish will ever add any features to their receivers that aren't functional at the time of release.

That way, if they do ever get something to work in the future, it'll be a pleasant surprise, instead of yet another in a long series of disappointments.

Scott

P.S. Any update on NBR for the 500 series recorders? Aren't we approaching the two year promised date by now?

If they tack on many more additional monthly fees they will put themselves out of business. People can only and will only pay so much. Someone else will come out with something (maybe Directv/cable companies) that makes it competitive against Dish Network's offerings.

If they are going to charge a monthly fee for the external hard drive then it had better be super cheap ($25-50) and be large or be free. I wonder if we will be allowed to have more than one external hard drive for these receivers.

Yes it will probably be a bit more expensive than what you find in stores for these external hard drives but they can and will get these in bulk which will help them make more money on this product. It is just something for me to wait for the price to come down just like I am on these HD DVR's.

It would be lovely to see external hdd support on the DVR units, I know I would love it, even though I am considering modding my own unit just to get the info off the dvr hdd to one of my own larger drives. To be honest though, what kind of ramifications would come from this concerning copy writing?

622 and external storage

Ok if the 622 does not support and external hdd.... has anyone opened their 622 up and used ghost to copy the main drive to a larger hdd??? I assume the HDD in the 622 is a SATA drive????:confused: :confused:

If i had a pc with a sata channel i would try it!!!

AHHH- so THAT'S why 721s keep failing- to destroy the evidence! ;)

You DO know they announced quite some time back that they've abandoned NBR for the 721s, right?

Enabling external use of a firewire port on the 921 was being demonstrated by E* at shows over 5 years ago.

It is surprising to learn that they are incapable of getting this to work on the 942. It does put a different spin on the story that they are not simply killing the option due to economic decisions but rather are admitting that they can't make it work.

I do think it is the right thing to do to put a priority on getting it working on the 622. It would be nicer if they were going to focus for now on the 622 and then get back to the 942 after releasing the feature on the 622.

One would hope that there will not be a fee associated with this service. PC manufacturers don't charge a fee for using an external USB storage device. This is a standard feature that is expected from a PC, likewise it should be a standard feature on a DVR. As much as I desire this feature, if there is a monthly fee to use it, I won't sub to it. Well, I might if it is 49 cents a month.

I would bet the issue on the 942 is not the external recording, but the external recording while supporting DRM. Digital Rights Management is the main hurdle in just about all of this stuff.

I'm guessing there is fear that if they don't make it secure, the lawyers will be after there buttocks before they bother with the consumer.

I would bet the issue on the 942 is not the external recording, but the external recording while supporting DRM. Digital Rights Management is the main hurdle in just about all of this stuff.

I'm guessing there is fear that if they don't make it secure, the lawyers will be after there buttocks before they bother with the consumer.

The broadcom chipsets support encryption. In fact according to their product data sheet once the encrypted DVB transport stream enters the processor, it can decode the video, then encrypt it before it even leaves the processor, ensuring noone "sniffs" the bits off the board.

http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pb/7401-PB03-R.pdf

So, what would you rather see? A Dish-branded external USB drive at 50-100% overcost or the ability to use your own drive and pay Dish an "External HDD Enabler" fee? Of course, it's a moot point for me right now since my 942 isn't going to get it, but it's a legitimate question. I'd rather have the ability to buy afforable drives (that's right, plural) and use them with the ViP622. If that cost $5-6/mo, so be it.

Now, if Dish really wanted to do something incredible, make the content on the USB drive tied to the Account so it could be moved to another 622 on the account. What would be really, really cool, give the ViP211 the abilty to play back this content, too.

I'd rather have to buy a Dish-branded external drive than pay a monthly fee of more than about $2/month. If I were paying $5/month, then that's $120 over 2 years. I seriously doubt that a Dish branded external drive would be more than $120 higher than other drives.

One would hope that there will not be a fee associated with this service. PC manufacturers don't charge a fee for using an external USB storage device. This is a standard feature that is expected from a PC, likewise it should be a standard feature on a DVR. As much as I desire this feature, if there is a monthly fee to use it, I won't sub to it. Well, I might if it is 49 cents a month.

Just for fun!

If Echostar were a major PC manufacturer...

• The PC would have numerous ports and plugs that were not yet enabled.
  • The PC wouldn't even turn on unless it was connected to the Internet.
  • They would advertise one screen resolution, but deliver a lower resolution.
  • It would come pre-loaded with useless "PC Home" software.
  • Every so often it would lose all of its icons and programs.
  • "Distant Web Sites" would not be available.
  • You would be charged a monthly fee to store files on your hard drive.

Have I forgotten any?

I'm afraid that Microsoft is already headed down this path with Vista.

This differs from Microsoft how? :devil:
Just for fun!

If Echostar were a major PC manufacturer...

• The PC would have numerous ports and plugs that were not yet enabled.
  • The PC wouldn't even turn on unless it was connected to the Internet.
  • They would advertise one screen resolution, but deliver a lower resolution.
  • It would come pre-loaded with useless "PC Home" software.
  • Every so often it would lose all of its icons and programs.
  • "Distant Web Sites" would not be available.
  • You would be charged a monthly fee to store files on your hard drive.

Have I forgotten any?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)