SatelliteGuys First Look Review - DISH Sling Adapter

You need a PC to bring up the Dish Sling interface to provide HD to a TV.
It is most disappointing that "America's First True TV Everywhere Offering" does not include another Dish receiver in your home... so it is not truly everywhere. I would really prefer the ability to watch a show on one Dish receiver from a different DVR connected on the same ethernet. With Dish, I am learning to expect disappointment... :-(

It is most disappointing that "America's First True TV Everywhere Offering" does not include another Dish receiver in your home... so it is not truly everywhere. I would really prefer the ability to watch a show on one Dish receiver from a different DVR connected on the same ethernet. With Dish, I am learning to expect disappointment... :-(

Be patient. They can't do everything at once.

I have heard that sometime in the future that Ethernet cable will replace HDMI for HD TVs. That would be a good time to have the DVR Home port send out HD to the home distribution system

You can send HDMI through two CAT-5 ethernet cables. Niles makes a balun for this already.

Hey all, I just ordered mine and got the email asking me to test my connection. That's all good but I noticed on the minimum requirements for a Mac you need a 2.8ghz processor. Apple only puts those in their top line imacs and towers. Anyone using the sling adapter on macs with smaller size processors?

Hi folks, I just got my sling adapter connected yesterday. I'm still trying to sort out the tv1-tv2 tuner usage with the adapter and recording two programs simultaneously. I attempt to interrupt the tv tuner with the remote app and get an option to bump if another user is connected, but no indication of what happens if tv2 is in use by the record function. I 'm using a 722k and have tried live tv on a 1.83ghz macbook core 2 duo and a mac mini with a 2.0ghz core 2 duo and both play the HD setting with good picture quality over my home network wireless with an Apple Extreme base station. Ipod touch app works fine and so does the Ipad app on my wife's Ipad. One question--How do you terminate the app session on these apps. PCapp, ipod touch app, and the ipad app?? I can shut down the apps and the device or logout on the PC, but I can't find any way to shut down the session from the app itself. What, if anything, am I overlooking?

ron

I got my sling adapter today. hooked it up and it is working great. I have a question though that I didn't really see answered here. Can I use my external drive with a USB hub? If so, is there any particular one I should get? I have a lot of content on my drive and would like to have it available. Thanks

I got my sling adapter today. hooked it up and it is working great. I have a question though that I didn't really see answered here. Can I use my external drive with a USB hub? If so, is there any particular one I should get? I have a lot of content on my drive and would like to have it available. Thanks
A USB hub works just fine. Just be sure to get a "powered" hub. I have my SA, Ext hard drive, and my wireless adapter plugged into the hub on the 722.

anybody have problems with the rewind, skip back, skip forward and fast forward buttons being grayed out? It seems to only happen sometimes and I'm not sure what is causing it. The Pause, Play and stop buttons still work. While I was typing this, I hit pause and then play and the buttons started working again. This is on the web viewer.

So I got my Sling Adapter hooked up today along with a USB hub and wireless connector. Everything is working good using Firefox but when I tried to use I.E. my cursor would turn to a + sign. Not a big deal since Firefox works very well.

The one problem I am having that I can't seem to fix is on my Droid 2 phone using the free Dishnetwork app. When I try to watch something that was recorded onto my DVR, it will automatically go to live TV and I'm not able to watch anything on the DVR. I know that some others had this problem early on but am just curious if anyone has figured out a solution to this yet. Any insight that can be provided is most appreciated!

All in all, I'm pretty impressed because it seems to work pretty well, even on a wireless connection with my router in the basement. Installation was super easy too!

Hawkcigar said:
So I got my Sling Adapter hooked up today along with a USB hub and wireless connector. Everything is working good using Firefox but when I tried to use I.E. my cursor would turn to a + sign. Not a big deal since Firefox works very well.

The one problem I am having that I can't seem to fix is on my Droid 2 phone using the free Dishnetwork app. When I try to watch something that was recorded onto my DVR, it will automatically go to live TV and I'm not able to watch anything on the DVR. I know that some others had this problem early on but am just curious if anyone has figured out a solution to this yet. Any insight that can be provided is most appreciated!

All in all, I'm pretty impressed because it seems to work pretty well, even on a wireless connection with my router in the basement. Installation was super easy too!

My dish app downloaded a new version a day or two ago and it fixed the DVR problem. Try refreshing your app downloads in your android market and see if it finds the update. You should be good to go after the update.

My dish app downloaded a new version a day or two ago and it fixed the DVR problem. Try refreshing your app downloads in your android market and see if it finds the update. You should be good to go after the update.

What version of the app are you currently using?

Currently it's 1.1.0.0. Formerly at release it was 1.0.0.1.

Well, I think I have everything working correctly now. Not really too much of a problem.
I deleted the Dish Network app from my phone then redownloaded from the market. That didn't seem to do the job so I powered the phone to off and then when I turned it back on everything was working correctly.

I still had the issue with my cursor turning into a plus (+) sign when trying to watch using I.E. 8. After a little research, I found some info that said if you have a program installed called HP Smart Web printing (or something like that) it would conflict with the Dish Network web view. I deleted the HP Smar Web printing program and voila...the plus sign in gone and I can watch both live TV and/or DVR recordings.

Kind of a fun little piece of equipment!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)