SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

I am currently running a 2nd TV using component in bedroom, while using HDMI and Revue in Den. Other than the first day I set it up, where I got a 'gray' screen in bedroom for a few hours, it's been working great ever since for the last 2 or 3 weeks.

That being said, I ordered a Monoprice HDMI splitter yesterday, hoping to get GTV on both TVs. I bought a Logitech mini-controller to use in the bedroom to control it. Splitter arrives Friday, and I'll mess with it before concluding it's a no-go. As I got the gray screen in bedroom the first day with my component connection, perhaps, all the reboots and such that I did cleared that up. Maybe your HDMI splitter issue will resolve itself. Do a power cord pull on the DVR, maybe even a check switch test, reboot the Revue...

I "sorta" doubt that the GTV needs a "clean"/single HDMI signal. Revue could be picky, but hopefully not. Is your splitter powered? I think more people have luck with powered splitters than not, and many people have luck with splitters in general, although I do know that some splitters seem to work well for some people, and other splitters better for other people. Apparently some TVs are picky...

Disappointed to hear that it's not working for you, but hopefully we'll figure it out.

Splitter is powered. Tried a different iteration, and the PQ on the second telly was really sketchy. At your suggestion, I did try the power cord, full set up check on DISH, and the Revue reboot. Thinking I might just try the component cables and call it a day, I do have the cables from a prior set up, so it won't be any more out of pocket. Thanks for the suggestions.

anyone that has googe tv logitech how is it and how you feel about it?ty for any replies and help im thinking about getting it :)

I would still wait... while the Netflix is MUCH better the rest of it still has a way to go.
Yeah, there are some things that could be much better, and at the same time, I use it ALL the time. It is great to have GTV be a part of my cable service, as an "integrated" overlay. I like my Roku, and I have a Harmony that makes switching activities easy, but I had to make a conscious effort to stop "TV", and start "Roku-ing". This switching inputs would be true of Boxee Box, and Apple TV, too...stop Dish, go to other box...stop other box, go back to Dish. So, Google TV wins that battle for me. I should also point out that Hulu (and whatever else is missing content-wise) isn't paramount to me at this point. I get Dish, podcasts, Netflix, Google Searches, and the Internet. Oh, and I LOVE that with the $4 integration, my EHD's content is in my queue with my DVR's content, and my subscribed podcasts. Having all that in one list is great. Once we get android apps, this thing is going to be killer. Anyway, that's my take for now.

Last edited:
One thing I wish is that the logitech media player was more well developed. As of right now it doesn't support enough file types natively and even DLNA is hit or miss. I imagine (am hoping) that the App Store opening will be transformative for the product. As it is, I do not regret the purchase. The layering on the Internet on one input is great. Although it could use a speed boost.

Splitter is powered. Tried a different iteration, and the PQ on the second telly was really sketchy. At your suggestion, I did try the power cord, full set up check on DISH, and the Revue reboot. Thinking I might just try the component cables and call it a day, I do have the cables from a prior set up, so it won't be any more out of pocket. Thanks for the suggestions.
I got my HDMI splitter today. It's working great. I don't notice any degradation in PQ. Only been about 5 hours, but so far so good.

I got my HDMI splitter today. It's working great. I don't notice any degradation in PQ. Only been about 5 hours, but so far so good.

Good news. Glad your experience is positive, don't know what is up with mine. Ended up using component cable for second TV, will be staying with that.

Good news. Glad your experience is positive, don't know what is up with mine. Ended up using component cable for second TV, will be staying with that.
One problem I've noticed so far is that the Revue seems to sometimes want to reduce output to 720p. 1080i and 1080p are sometimes missing from the Revue display settings. Still trying to determine rhyme/reason for it. Have to reboot Revue to restore 1080i/p options. Will continue to monitor. One of the things, though, that I like by using HDMI to both TVs is that I was getting a slight audio lag when I was using HDMI to main TV and component to 2nd TV cause I was using analog audio cable to 2nd TV. Now that I'm using HDMI for both (via splitter), audio is in perfect sync.

So the internet speed is not equivalent to the Internet speed on your PC?

Well you're always going to have some variation of performance based on the devices' processor and quality of the wireless chip/antenna. I mean my iPod Touch, iPad, and HP netbook do not pull the internet down as fast as my hardwired PC or wireless Dell XPS laptop. I think @dangue is talking about the performance of the UI not being quite as snappy as it should be.

That said, whenever they get around to upgrading the underlying Android OS from 2.1 to at least 2.2, there will be a performance boost.

Oh also wanted to mention that Best Buy has the Revue on sale this week for $249 and Amazon has matched that price and thrown in free overnight shipping. If you get some Best Buy gift cards this Christmas Eve, you could get it for as low as what DISH sells it for (maybe more) and not have to mess with the whole integration fee if you're not interested in it.

I decided to get a ROKU xds instead of the Logitech box. My TV has 3 HDMI inputs - just connected the ROKU and have been enjoying Netflix for $10/month, nearly all in HD quality (plus DVDs by mail). No extra Dish fee, and I've also watched some funny youtube videos and some foreign TV that I'm interested in. I have 6mbps dsl service. There's no keyboard, so search takes a bit of time, and I'm not planning on HULU Plus. I do hope to cut my Dish bill, though. I love the all-you-can-eat on-demand streaming. I also connected a large drive to the ROKU, which will over time be filled with home video, photos, etc.
Happy in California,
Shneor

MikeD-C05 said:
I wonder if the lack of no network tv via hula.com, is the reason for the suspension?

News broke last week that Google has instructed CE manufactures who were planning on showing GoogleTV devices at CES to delay those announcements until the software was updated to a level that Google was happy with. Then Friday was the leak that Google has ordered Logitech to halt production for a period of one month till a date in Jan '11 and then start up again pending a software update or hardware tweak. The networks blocking GTV may also have something to do with it, but it's not the heart of the issue.

The delay might also be why the Revue has been on sale at retailers to clear out inventory channels However Amazon might have been matching Best Buy's online price.

I took advantage of the sale to buy a box of my own with some gift cards. I still believe Google is still behind this device however CE manufacturers might not like how they aren't planning anything special for CES. a separate Google event afterwards would not be missed in all the buzz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)