SatelliteGuys Review: Logitech Revue with GoogleTV – A Diamond in the Rough

I was an early adopter of the Logitech Revue and it has performed as expected. I would purchase it again for the $179.00 price from Dish, but not for the $299.00 retail. The whole family has enjoyed doing various things with it. I think that I could access Hulu Plus using Tversity Pro, but have not tried it as I have no interest in Hulu Plus. The one limitation that it has is that it will not pass through DTS audio, but I knew that before I bought it. It plays every type of Video file that I have tried (.mkv, .xvid, .divx etc) using the free version of Tversity. If the video has a DTS audio track, there is no sound passed. I have not had any problems with DD 5.1 and use the optical output to my receiver. The thing that all of us like is having a full keyboard when surfing the web. It has generally been quite swift, but on occassion has been slow. The video from Dish is neither degraded or enhanced, but Web video is enhanced by the Logitech.

I don't have one yet, but am interested so went to a friend's house and have played with it in the stores.

From what I saw if you are getting a degraded picture from Dish using the pass through, you are doing something wrong. Picture looked great. I also found it to be quite snappy actually, not sluggish, not only at my friend's house, but in the store also. I would agree it needs more apps, and while the sound is good, not passing DTS is somewhat of deal breaker. I could live without Hulu Plus, but in my opinion it should have it. All in all, I don't think it is quite ready for me to buy, but shows promise.

Right now the revue only does Dolby surround. This is only through the spiff output only. Logitec is working to get dolby surround through hdmi output. Their is no word on DTS audio.

I don't have one yet, but am interested so went to a friend's house and have played with it in the stores.

From what I saw if you are getting a degraded picture from Dish using the pass through, you are doing something wrong. Picture looked great. I also found it to be quite snappy actually, not sluggish, not only at my friend's house, but in the store also. I would agree it needs more apps, and while the sound is good, not passing DTS is somewhat of deal breaker. I could live without Hulu Plus, but in my opinion it should have it. All in all, I don't think it is quite ready for me to buy, but shows promise.

What source are you using that has DTS? The Dish receivers don't pass DTS either as far as I know (on DD).

What source are you using that has DTS? The Dish receivers don't pass DTS either as far as I know (on DD).
Actually ya, that's a good point. What set-top box outputs DTS? DTS takes more processing power to encode on the fly, all it would do is slow the Revue down. I don't think the trade off between "better" sound vs more CPU load makes it worth it. You're not watching a DVD, it's web video. Maybe files that are stored on your network have DTS, but idk. Doesn't seem like a huge issue to me.

The source of the DTS soundtracks is DVD's ripped to my hard drive, which I play on my other HDTV using PS3 MediaPlayer through the attached PS3. I would like to be able to play the same files on the HDTV that the Logitech Revue is attached to and I can as long as the file does not have a DTS soundtrack. In the future I will favor the DD5.1 soundtrack despite the sound not being quite as good. I have not encountered web based videos with DTS soundtracks.

The Logitech is supposed to be a repository for all your media as I see it. So I guess I expected it would pass DTS for those movies I have on my hard drive. I will admit, maybe not as big a deal as I first thought after reading the comments. :)

I'm thinking of getting a revue. What are the big get issues t this point? Are there still issues with it not knowing about ota sources? Does I work with mapped down hd channels ok? I forget if thi or sling made you choose channels in the 9000 range.

Any reasons not to order one tonight?

If you want the ota sources to be included with the rest of your channels , you have to pay the $4.00 integration fee. The netflix application works great now that it has been updated and you can actually browse shows and watch from the application without adding them to your queue. As for hd channels , on my sat receiver I have all mine mapped down to the lower channel numbers and the 9000 range blocked out. So if you want it to tune to the lower mapped channels, you have to NOT check hd channels in the edit page for channels. Then it will tune to the mapped down channels just fine. It works fine for most computer type transactions but you can't watch dishonline.com through the google unit. As for Hula.com you can't use it still unless you have playon.tv application and you bookmark it on your google unit. So not all problems resolved yet.

Scott,

How about posting an ammended follow up review on changes or imprevements for the Logitech revue, its been near 90days now, whats changed? whats working? whats not?

Ziploc said:
Scott,

How about posting an ammended follow up review on changes or imprevements for the Logitech revue, its been near 90days now, whats changed? whats working? whats not?

The truth is that outside of the poor update to netflix, no 1080p or Dolby digital+, their had been no major update. A major update for the revue and google tv Is rumored to be by the end of this month.

Boxee box has had three major update so far and if Sp4 is rolled out with an improved netflix, 1080p and Dolby surround, which the same for netfix on ps3 and Xbox 360. Then boxee is the one to get.

Boxee will do dolby digital+ through both hdmi and SPDIF while google only does Dolby through SDIF.

skyviewmark said:
Nope.. Still the biggest waste of money I ever spent.. If you don't count the first few wives... :)

Wives may have more value then this turkey. Boxee box is fast becoming a better value with each new firmware update.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)