Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I like posting these when I get them and I know some of you guys find them interesting as well. These stats are for the last month.
stats.png

Yes, I love seeing stats!

Any breakdown on the mobile? And using a browser on a smartphone counts as the browser but not mobile?

Any way to break out what browser or app mobile users are using?

Sorry, I'm a numbers guy.

Perhaps a more important question is what browser Edge is masquerading as this month. Depending on how deep you look, Edge spoofs as five different browsers and you have to look hard to see the Edge tag at the end of the list.

Here's the Edge user agent string from MSDN:
MSDN said:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; <64-bit tags>) AppleWebKit/<WebKit Rev> (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/<Chrome Rev> Safari/<WebKit Rev> Edge/<EdgeHTML Rev>.<Windows Build>

Reactions: Tampa8 and TheKrell
Any breakdown on the mobile? And using a browser on a smartphone counts as the browser but not mobile?

Any way to break out what browser or app mobile users are using?

Sorry, I'm a numbers guy.

Nope this is all the info it gives me, it does not break it down more.

I was wondering that too when I looked at the graphic. I suspect the Safari numbers include macOS and iOS. On Android, who the hell knows.... Android includes a "stock" browser but no idea what it reports itself as. Many OEMs provide their own browser and who knows what it shows up as. You can, of course, install Chrome, Firefox, and even Opera on Android. You can install Chrome (and Firefox, etc) on iOS too, which is what I use (wish I could make it the default browser, but it will be a 'cold day in hell' before Apple allows that !).

I suspect the Safari numbers include macOS and iOS.
I suspect that a substantial percentage of iOS users are using a reader (Tapatalk?) as Safari is such a weak sister and the third party browsers are not orders of magnitude better..

I've used Safari on my iPad since iPad became available. I like the look of it because it's the same browser look that I get from either Mac or PC...

Reactions: king3pj
I like the look of it because it's the same browser look that I get from either Mac or PC...
At least until Apple pulled the plug on the Windows version and recommended against using it..

I use Firefox because the experience is fairly uniform across Android, Linux and Windows. It was harder when Flash was more important and the Android version didn't support Flash.

Perhaps a more important question is what browser Edge is masquerading as this month. Depending on how deep you look, Edge spoofs as five different browsers and you have to look hard to see the Edge tag at the end of the list.

Here's the Edge user agent string from MSDN:

Interesting I was not aware of that. I do use Edge as a second to Chrome seems speedier than IE.

I think Microsoft does that out of embarrassment. I remember when MSIE got 85-90% of internet traffic.

I suspect that a substantial percentage of iOS users are using a reader (Tapatalk?) as Safari is such a weak sister and the third party browsers are not orders of magnitude better..

I know this thread is old but I'm just chiming in to disagree here. I haven't used an app for Sat Guys in years because the Safari experience on my iPhone and iPad is identical to when I use Firefox on my PCs. I paid for Tapatalk years ago but I'd take the iOS browser over Tapatalk for Sat Guys any day.

Maybe my experience is different from yours because I am a pub member and the site doesn't try to load in any ads in my mobile browsers.

Does Chrome include Chromium? (Linux)
Actually, you can get Chrome on some Linux kernels. I know that Ubuntu can run Chrome.

I have two laptops running three OS. First, I have my old HP running Ubuntu. Then, I have my Acer, which runs Windows 10, natively, and OS X El Capitan, through VMWare. Before you ask, I own the Mac OS software through my wife's MacBook. It wasn't pirated. Yes, I know that it's against the agreement to run Mac OS on a PC. But, I refuse to give up Windows or pay Apple an exhrobant amount to dual boot Mac OS and Windows on a MacBook. My wife won't allow me to "mess up" her MacBook, as she hates Windows.

Reactions: norman881
Maybe my experience is different from yours because I am a pub member and the site doesn't try to load in any ads in my mobile browsers.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Xenforo is pretty standards compliant but the advertisers are all over the map. This is further bolstered by some of the advertisers wanting to avoid HTTPS as Scott lamented.

Webkit (the underpinnings of a lot of Apple's Internet-aware products) is a flu hole (a toxic wasteland of infectious computer code). It is far and away the buggiest software the Apple employs and insures that Apple will probably always make an appearance in the CERT Vulnerability Database.

Status
Not open for further replies.