SatelliteGuys.US DishNetwork Uplink Activity Report - 9/26/2008 5:32pm - 54 changes

I could see Dish Network freeing up space on 110/119/129 to swap some of the smaller markets (particularly those that have a harder line of site like WV) to EA so that they can keep the larger markets at WA (110/119/129) to prevent a lot more swapouts. Another alternative could be to just let the small markets remain at WA and all new subs goes to EA MPEG-4 regardless of whether they are SD or HD and all SD locals that are in HD/MPEG-4 gets shut off and all those customers gets swapped with an EA dish and the additional space allows for HD MPEG-4 for the rest at 110/119/129.

On December 3rd, a big spot beam satellite is scheduled to launch to 129 that will provide HD locals for many markets in the Western half of the US.

Scott Greczkowski said:
77 will be local HD/SD MPEG4 markets. Nothing national going there.

But if that's where the emphasis is going, and it's only for NEW customers on "eastern arc," then doesn't that just do a negative number on existing subscribers?

I'm now under the impression that the only way I'm going to ever see HD local channels (and possibly any new HD nationals channels) is by being able to receive signals from the 77° belt. And that isn't even in the cards at all with my current setup. My Dish 1000.2 gets signals from 3 satellites already -but those satellites seem to be birds that E* is no longer interested in maintaining or improving in terms of programming output. Acquisition of the 61.5° signal by way of a wing dish seemed to be the next step, mainly to get HD local channel service. Now it looks like my DMA is never going to have that happen -at least not with E*.

If E* wants to go down the usual road where it kicks sand in the faces of long time customers in favor of johnny come lately subscribers then they're sewing the seeds of the end of their business.

I'm 6 months into my current contract with E*. I'll tough it out another 18 months. But by the end of that term, if they do not have their act together and already be delivering HD locals to my DMA then our 10 year customer relationship will be over. We will be done. Maybe they don't care about that. But I do. I'm confident that D*, AT&T Uverse and possibly a number of other services will be doing what E* seems incapable of doing for my viewing market. If those rivals deliver on what I want well before E* is able to manage then I'll pay whatever penalty and then never ever be a E* customer ever again.

On December 3rd, a big spot beam satellite is scheduled to launch to 129 that will provide HD locals for many markets in the Western half of the US.

It seems like there is a giant "IF" in that.

Even if the launch is successful, it will still take E* numerous months of testing and what not to get the "bird" online and its services lit up for customers. A December launch translates into service being delivered around maybe late Winter at the earliest -or more likely by first day of Spring in March 2009. And even if it is successful, there is no guarantee the local markets that were rudely given the boot will see the light of day at all. The "never gonna happen" factor is definitely now hanging over the Wichita Falls, TX and Lawton, OK market where I live. And that factor is the very thing that will eventually end my customer relationship with E* permanently if they don't fix that situation.

77 will be local HD/SD MPEG4 markets. Nothing national going there.

Are we positive about that? I know that's what the one internal document indicated, but I don't know if that's feasible. One of the theories I saw floated about why E11 has not bought more HD is that E8 is needed to mirror it on the eastern arc (E6 being full). Is there enough room on E6 to launch 13 HDs, given that it is already mirroring all national from 119 and 110?

Kansas City on the EA. Awesome.

Personally, I'd rather stay on WA - I just did some major trimming on a bunch of trees to improve my LOS! Eastern Arc, for me at least, will be a lot more trouble to receive. Not a complete deal-breaker, but I won't be able to let E* install the new dish because of where they are liable to put it (to be invisible from the front of the house, they would have to use an under-the-eave mount, which I assume is not "standard," or it would have to be mounted on the roof :eek:). Yeah, I know, a lot of people have them mounted on the roof, but I don't want to have to deal with that.

Even if the launch is successful, it will still take E* numerous months of testing and what not to get the "bird" online and its services lit up for customers. A December launch translates into service being delivered around maybe late Winter at the earliest -or more likely by first day of Spring in March 2009.

Due to the speed with which EchoStar 11 deployed, and the well known problems with EchoStar 5, I expect the CONUS transponders of the new satellite to be online in January. Spot beams always take longer, but due to the circumstances, I expect them to first get the satellite positioned and the CONUS transponders fired up, before they mess with adjusting the spot beams and setting up the uplinks for the spot beams.

Nevertheless, that still translates to E* going back on its original promise of lighting up HD local channels in markets like mine (Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK) within that "30 - 45 days" deadline they promised very recently at the beginning of September.

They're not going to deliver on any of that.

And now, with all the very recent satellite shuffling, it may never happen at all. To me, it's like this: as long as I have no HD locals in my DMA unlike what E* originally promised then I have absolutely no obligation at all to be a loyal customer at all to E*. When the rivals to E* deliver HD locals in this DMA and E* is still kicking at a can tied to its tail wondering what in the world is going on then I will be abandoning their disorganized operation.

When they make promises to customers they had better deliver. When they fail to deliver they need to correct that situation ASAP. E* seems to be unwilling to live up to either one of those tenants of customer service. So they can just keep on doing what they feel like doing. And in the meantime I will just bide my time until my contract expires. And when that contract expires, E* will no longer be getting a steady stream of money from me. We will be through.

Nevertheless, that still translates to E* going back on its original promise of lighting up HD local channels in markets like mine (Wichita Falls, TX - Lawton, OK) within that "30 - 45 days" deadline they promised very recently at the beginning of September.

I'd be interested in exactly where Dish made this promise, thanks.

I'd be interested in exactly where Dish made this promise, thanks.

The last charley Chat for the second time this year he showed that the Wichita Falls and many others would be ih HD within 30-45 days. he also showed a sketch .

In kinda of new here. Do more reading than posting.

I have a question. Weren't all those international channels on 61.5 supposed to be moveds off to 118.7 to provide more room, maybe for HD on CoNUS beams?

On the last reports I see some have moved but others are being made available.
Can someone explain what is going on?

Thanks

The last charley Chat for the second time this year he showed that the Wichita Falls and many others would be ih HD within 30-45 days. he also showed a sketch .

That's right. I've repeated that point numerous times but it doesn't seem to be getting across to some who seem to be defending the latest moves from E*. 16 specific markets were shown on screen during the last Charlie Chat to have their HD local channels added "within 30-45 days." That went along with the boast of E* offering 100 markets of HD locals before year's end. Those uplinked markets that were listed on screen during that Charlie Chat were deleted instead. The latest activity from E* dealing with HD local channels is with entirely different markets.

So, are new subs in Omaha/Lincoln going to be EA? Does those of that have been waiting for HD locals a lot of good... I also see no WOWT uplinked in HD. Does Dish have problems with Gray?

So, are new subs in Omaha/Lincoln going to be EA? Does those of that have been waiting for HD locals a lot of good... I also see no WOWT uplinked in HD. Does Dish have problems with Gray?

That's what a lot of us are wondering. Personally, I had an antenna put up at the same time when I had it installed beginning of Sept, so HD locals on Dish are a "nice to have" thing. I would think that they would either simulcast them on WA and EA, or else provide some sort of transfer plan for those of us with WA and HD VIP boxes if they do decide to make them EA only...?

Last edited:
In kinda of new here. Do more reading than posting.
I have a question. Weren't all those international channels on 61.5 supposed to be moveds off to 118.7 to provide more room, maybe for HD on CoNUS beams?
On the last reports I see some have moved but others are being made available.
Can someone explain what is going on?
Thanks
I think it will happen, it just takes time to repoint everyone. Last uplink looks like it just had some free previews, which happens to all the channels going into that mode, whether on 118.7, 61.5, or 148. There is no rush until Dish runs out of space elsewhere.

That's what a lot of us are wondering. Personally, I had an antenna put up at the same time when I had it installed beginning of Sept, so HD locals on Dish are a "nice to have" thing. I would think that they would either simulcast them on WA and EA, or else provide some sort of transfer plan for those of us with WA and HD VIP boxes if they do decide to make them EA only...?

I've got an antenna up as well, but HD locals would help solve my Monday night HD conflicts. We watch Chuck, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother, but they are all on at the same time.

I've got an antenna up as well, but HD locals would help solve my Monday night HD conflicts. We watch Chuck, Big Bang Theory, and How I Met Your Mother, but they are all on at the same time.

Yep....I feel your pain (and am thus hoping for HD uplink also). Except, that our conflicts are Terminator and HIMYM. The women on HIMYM have always been beautiful...but they look a lot better in HD... ;) I HAVE to have Terminator in HD for the special effects, though, so it wins...for now. :p

I keep my cable $11/mo still and it has locals in HD which means I can watch them even if I have 2 DVR events recording from DISH. The only drawback is no DVR capabilities.

Just an idea. Your local cable service should be providing locals in HD in the clear on the cheapest tier.

I keep my cable $11/mo still and it has locals in HD which means I can watch them even if I have 2 DVR events recording from DISH. The only drawback is no DVR capabilities.

Just an idea. Your local cable service should be providing locals in HD in the clear on the cheapest tier.

Actually...I could do that for free since my antenna is also going to my HDTV and they're both on OTA channels. I just didn't think of it last night (and that only helps if I'm there to watch one of the shows, otherwise one is going to be SD on the DVR regardless since I can't watch either at that moment).

Thanks for the thought, though...

WAF on that idea make it a no go in my house.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)