Satellites on east side

Status
Please reply by conversation.

air88

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 20, 2005
Hi,

Just check LyngSat.com and find out that the Sat "PAS 3R at 43.1°W" covers the US American area too. The two questions just pop up:

1. Anyone has ideas that how far we can go to east side? I mean what is the farest Sat we can get so far?

2. Just a new thought here: please comment, - thanks

I am here in Oregon which is (122.8W and 45.6N). From my location, most of the FTA Satellites are on my east side (only one on my west side which is G13 - 127W). When I setup my system (motorized, SG2100, 70E ~ 70W limits), I used G10R (122.8W)as my true south bird.

So I can say that I only use half of my motor - 70 degree east side, waste 70 degree of the west side of the motor because there no satellites on west side. On east side, now I can only reach as far as 52W from my location (122W minus 70W). From my Question 1 above, there are Satellites east of 52W which I can not reach!

- hopefully you can follow me so far, continue:

If I re-do my setup, point my "true south" to G11 (91W) and setup my LNB to -27.3 degree. So I will reach (91W-70) ~ (91W+70), whcih will be 21W ~ 161W. I will reach more Satellites on east side! or I can use the motor's capability on west side.

The same idea, if I point to SBS 6 as my "true south" (74W), I will reach 4W east assuming the satellite covers US.

How do you think? Any comments are welcome. Thanks

Michael

I feel your pain. :) I am due north of you and have the same issue. However you can't move your motor or it won't track the arc. The axis of rotation must point to the north star, hence the term polar rotation.

At some point some of those eastern birds are below the Cascades and can't be received :(

Hi, Dave:

You are right! I got what you said. I have to keep what I have now :no

Thanks

Mike

All the satellites east of 61w from Michael's location in Oregon are below the horizon. In a perfect world you can "see" 70 degrees east and west of your location. In reality you can really only see 60 degrees east and west of your location as the elevation after 60 degrees is too low.

It is impossible for Michael to see any farther east or west than he currently does. The farthest east you can theoretically go is 52 degrees west. In reality you will never be able to receive anything farther east than 60w as the elevation is too low. After that the earth is in the way.

From my location at 80w in theory I can "see" from 10w to 150w in reality I can see from 20w to 140w. No matter how much I may want to try to receive a satellite at 2w or 170w I will never be able to since these locations are below the horizon.

Let's look at Hispasat at 30w, this is a popular eastern satellite. The satellite is below the horizon and impossible to receive in Oregon.

Let's look at it's footprint map:

Mapa%201Damerica.jpg

See those degree marks at the bottom? They are 0, 5,10, 15, 20. Those lines are degrees of elevation for the receiving dish. For practical home use 10 degrees of elevation is the limit. So all homes east of the 10 degree line can see Hispasat at 30w. For those west of that line your SOL the sat is below the horizon.

I wanted to show you Hispasat first as it has a better map. Here is the one for Pas3R at 43w:

PAS-3Ku_Hztl_NAmer.jpg

The map only shows 0 degree elevation, the 10 degree elevation is about where the "40" is printed. This satellite is impossible to receive in Oregon.

The map below is Amazonas at 61w which is at the eastern limit from Oregon. If you notice you would be able to receive this satellite as the elevation is 10 or higher.

amazonas-americas-c_big.jpg

It is a sad fact, but typically satellite feeds flow from North America east across the Atlantic, through Europe, and across Asia. From Asia it flows east across Asia, through Europe, across the Atlantic to North America. There is some traffic from Asia across the Pacific to North America, but due to the expanse of the Pacific Ocean satellites in that region are very close to the horizon on both the North American and Asian sides of the ocean. This is why there are so many more satellites from the East than in the West. A satellite over the Atlantic Ocean can cover half of North America and nearly all of Western Europe. Whereas a satellite over the Pacific Ocean can only cover a small sliver of both Asia and North America.

Hi, Bryan:

Thans for your detailed explanation. It is really clear, I will print out and keep it.

Michael

No problem :)

Here is a KU sat over the Pacific you should receive. Not sure if there is anything on the North American beam. I couldn't find any channels on Lyngsat.

Intelsat 701 (180e/180w)

If you were just a bit more south (in California) you could receive some FTA feeds from Australia on the KU Horizontal Australia Beam from PAS-8 (166e/194w) For some reason this beam has a piece in California.

Hi, Bryan:

I tried the Intelsat 701 (180e/180w) and there is no live TPs on it. As for PAS 8 (194W), I tried but my receiver (Fortec Lifetime Ultra) can not set satellite more than 180W (any ideas?)

Thanks

Michael

bryan27 said:
If you were just a bit more south (in California) you could receive some FTA feeds from Australia on the KU Horizontal Australia Beam from PAS-8 (166e/194w) For some reason this beam has a piece in California.

Most likely because it is being used as a downlink for transmissions from the Australia region. From California, it can be bounced back up for this side of the Pacific.

Michael, I couldn't tell you as I have never run into trying to receive satellites with degrees East. Can you tell the receiver to point at 166e instead of 194w? I'll keep an eye out for any reports of activity on the beam from I-701

mkm4, interesting. From my understanding anything uplinked on that beam would downlink to both Australia and California. Is my thinking correct.

bryan27 said:
mkm4, interesting. From my understanding anything uplinked on that beam would downlink to both Australia and California. Is my thinking correct.

Yes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)