Satellites Unlimited: Argh!!!

Miryokuteki

Original poster
Feb 15, 2005
They have really been throwing us through loops. They not only cancel the hooking up of our dish three times (each with a one call notice, all of which we weren't in the house to answer), but now when they finally come out to hook it up they say that because of our neighbors trees, the dish won't work. So now we have no dish, and have been without cable anticipating the dish for near on two weeks. :mad:

After doing a search on how trees can affect the signal, I guess it calmed me down. I'm still mad, however, because I would have thought they could also put it on the house, and not just into the ground.

Miryokuteki said:
After doing a search on how trees can affect the signal, I guess it calmed me down. I'm still mad, however, because I would have thought they could also put it on the house, and not just into the ground.

They put mine on the house a few years ago, but I belevie some installers are not doing roof installs as they don't want to be liable for leaks and such. Call around, or call Dish I think they can find you someone to do roof install, I had same problem a few years ago, first installer woudl not do roof install, second would.

I have just endured the HELL that is Satellites Unlimited...After having my first install date cancelled b/c the HD box was out of stock (with no courtesy call to inform they were not coming), today was the day to finally get it done. At 10:30am they call to say that the installer that was supposed to come to my house has been suspended b/c he showed up late to work, and that the replacement would not be available until 1:00pm or so. He managed to show up at 4:00pm, without a clue as to what he is to do. My poor wife had to endure his stupidity for 4 and a half hours while he tried to run new cables and hook up two boxes. As a matter of fact my wife told me that he left the boxes sitting in the floor so that I can put them in the entertainment center when I get home. I have never had such a bad experience with an installation company before and hope no one else has to deal with what I had to go through over the past two weeks.

I am located in Fort Walton Beach, FL. According to him, the dish is too big (36 inch diamter) to put on the roof. He seemed the lazy type when I met him.

You live in FWB? I live there too. My mother says she bought from dish directly in Navarre, I remember the guys came here to install and they did a good job, they gave me the Dish Pro satellite for 105, 110, and 119. We weren't able to get the hd receiver at the time but the only complaint was they rescheduled twice. Other than that, everything was good.

You must be very lucky, because even the guy we spoke to had notified us that Satellites Unlimited has caused many problems for people (cancelling them without proper notification, and such). We will be building a garage soon, and the only spot that he stated would work is near that spot, but once the garage is built the dish wouldn't work. Now I think about it, if it weren't for it having to be put up via a cemented pole, I would have it installed, and just move it or pay someone to move it when we begin building our garage.

That's rediculous what the installers told you. Well heres how mine is setup

http://img221.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img221&image=picture0013sx.jpg

http://img221.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img221&image=picture0048zr.jpg

Thats the Dish pro satellite, about the same size as the one they were installing for you I believe. Now this is on a pole but the only reason was because my mother didn't want anything on her roof as she's afraid if we have any more hurricanes it would damage the roof. I don't know if it would cause damage but the installers told us at the time that we could have this dish installed on our roof if we needed to. I've gone down our streets in FWB and seen a few houses with some older satellite dishes (maybe c band?) and they are much bigger than mine and they are still on the roof and perform fine.

Gah! Dish really needs to get rid of these contractors. Thanks for the visuals. I might reconsider going back to cable now, depending on how long it will take SU to get another person out here. I better not have to wait another two weeks.

I never have problems when it rains, the only time we lost signal was during the hurricane because a tree fell on top of the dish. It's possible to lose signal if it's very very stormy out but it's pretty rare. Your using cox cable at the moment yes?

No, we had scheduled for cancellation about two weeks ago, thinking that SU would be installing it, but they cancelled three times since then. Today, as I've stated, the guy came out walked about checking places where the dish would work, and said that he couldn't install it for us.

That's pretty awful to hear. I just hope because of one bad retailer that this doesn't impact your decision completely. I would drop that reseller, there are many more in our area who would do better than the half-ass job it sounds like the reseller did for you guys. I would try either radio shack, or the dish store out in navarre. Theres also a satellite store over by the quiznos, I am pretty sure they do DISH installations.

Actually, RadioShack does sound like a pretty good idea. I think I'll give them a shot. Thanks for the advice, to you and everyone else.

Have you considered Directv as their sats are a little higher you may be able to clear the trees.Also they don't use the "super dish" so a roof mount shouldn't be an issue.

It might be an option. Radioshack doesn't install, they use whatever Dish calls out (so it would be Satellites Unltd.) so we went to the very helpful Beach Satellites (sp?) and talked to them today. The guy said that after work, during his personal time he's going to stop by our house and survey it, then head home. Apparentally, SU couldn't install it on the roof because they don't have the proper equipment and when they did, the hurricane tore the dishes down. BS (heh) have a mount that has proven to withstand hurricane Ivan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts