Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
This morning SatelliteGuys.US got to do an email interview with Echostar spokesperson Steve Caulk regarding yesterdays surprising yet expected news of the Echostar buyout of VOOM's assets.

One of the key parts of Echostar buying VOOM's RAINBOW1 Satellite and other assets is getting approval from the Federal Communications, when asked how long Echostar expected it to take to get this approval Caulk responded, "We will provide the FCC and other agencies with whatever information and assistance they need to complete the process as expeditiously as possible."

Caulk also noted that Echostar did not acquire the names of current VOOM customer nor did they know what was going to happen to those customers when Dish gets FCC approval.

The major purchase in the deal of course is the Rainbow 1 Satellite, when asked about what Echostars plans were for Rainbow 1 and if Echostar planned on using the spot beam capabilities on Rainbow 1 Caulk said that Echostar was "assessing our needs as they correspond to the functionality of the satellite"

On the Spot Beams Caulk noted "The Rainbow satellite is equipped with 13 transponders, up to 12 of which can be operated in spot-beam mode. While the satellite can be seen across most of the United States, look angles limit consumer availability in a limited number of west coast markets."

Also Caulk noted that it is up to Cablevision to decide when VOOM goes dark.

So it almost sounds like they bought just the sats from them and programming is going down and the Voom customers are left out in the cold.

Looks like Satelliteguys scores another first break of news. Sorry SkyChat. :D

I do feel bad for all the Voom subs out there. I hope that Cablevision allows the programming to be available to both satellite companies.

I have spoken to a few others at Echostar, and it is clear that Dish does not want their content.

The writing may be on the wall from VOOM, but I get the gut feeling that this saga is long from being over and we could see some interesting twists and turns over the next few months.

Great Scott but......

This offered no insight at all. What I want to know is what are they going to do with this space?

If they bought it to add more locals, one dish solution or more international programing then BFD!!!

I hope it's used for adding HD content.

Since in essence we E* subs bought the sat. with the increase in fees and no new content for how long, I would hope it is used to enhance existing services. (Like HD)

If I hear one more excuse of no compelling content or no space available I will puke.

On the Spot Beams Caulk noted "The Rainbow satellite is equipped with 13 transponders, up to 12 of which can be operated in spot-beam mode. While the satellite can be seen across most of the United States, look angles limit consumer availability in a limited number of west coast markets."
I really thought that Rainbow 1 had more than just 13 TPs built on it. I thought that only 13 where used, but there where several spares.

Neutron said:
I hope that Cablevision allows the programming to be available to both satellite companies.

Does VOOM hold exclusive rights to all the HD content form their channels? If so, perhaps they could simply reduce it to a couple channels, maybe VOOM1 and VOOM2 or something like that, and lease those channels out to the satellite/cable providers. Of course, if they did, it probably wouldn't be compelling enough for Charlie to consider picking up...and it'd all go to D*.

This is pretty funny, but just like dish :)

Oh, we bough this sat for $200 mil but uh we umm don't know what we're gonna use it for :D

If I understand this correctly, E* is going to dump V* programming as soon as they get the FCC's blessing, but V*, basically an uplink facility and 21 Exclusives, will still continue to exist until CableVision decides what to do with them. So we're F'ed as soon as soon as the check clears. Correct?

Cyclone said:
I really thought that Rainbow 1 had more than just 13 TPs built on it. I thought that only 13 where used, but there where several spares.

Rainbow-1 has 36 TPs on it but obviously some were on redundant frequencies for the possible spotbeam usage.

BFG said:
This is pretty funny, but just like dish :)

Oh, we bough this sat for $200 mil but uh we umm don't know what we're gonna use it for :D

Yeah I pretty much doubled over laughing when I read that. Like we're expected to believe they haven't run through their options over and over and over for months and whittled them down to a pretty specific idea of what they're going to do with it in order to come to the conclusion that this was a good idea. Nobody just goes out and buys a $200 mil tanker without first deciding what the heck they're gonna put in it :)

riffjim4069 said:
If I understand this correctly, E* is going to dump V* programming as soon as they get the FCC's blessing, but V*, basically an uplink facility and 21 Exclusives, will still continue to exist until CableVision decides what to do with them. So we're F'ed as soon as soon as the check clears. Correct?
Thats the way it is NOW, however I have a feeling that will change over time. Give them time folks this was as much of a surprise to them as it was to us.

Weren't there some unlicensed TPs at 61.5 that VOOM was using on a temporary authorization? Did they ever purchase those frequencies or are they still up for grabs?

Oh yeah, Charlie is dumb alright. $200M, with no risk, bought him a satellite that's already operating, a slew of frequencies and spot beams, and a brand new groundlink station, and D* is left with their satellites on the drawing board.

Everybody that said E* was lagging behind in capacity is now saying "What just happened?" I think Charlie suckered D* into committing to the new launches, forcing a D* rate increase. We may find a D* customer backlash flocking to E*, which is likely to have expanded content much sooner.

Everyone that dropped E* for D* promises of future capacity might want to rethink their decision. This really has been an interesting couple of days.

dlsnyder said:
Weren't there some unlicensed TPs at 61.5 that VOOM was using on a temporary authorization? Did they ever purchase those frequencies or are they still up for grabs?

The FCC recently ruled that Voom, Dish or DirecTV could not obtain the licenses for these two TP frequencies.

Am I the only one that thinks E* really may not have a plan for Voom's assets? Seems to me they just killed a competitor, at a bargain price for that. Even if they don't have plans for the equipment, they still win. One less sat provider = smiling Charlie.

Just my 2 cents.

mdonnelly said:
Oh yeah, Charlie is dumb alright. $200M, with no risk, bought him a satellite that's already operating, a slew of frequencies and spot beams, and a brand new groundlink station, and D* is left with their satellites on the drawing board.

Everybody that said E* was lagging behind in capacity is now saying "What just happened?" I think Charlie suckered D* into committing to the new launches, forcing a D* rate increase. We may find a D* customer backlash flocking to E*, which is likely to have expanded content much sooner.

Everyone that dropped E* for D* promises of future capacity might want to rethink their decision. This really has been an interesting couple of days.

Well, I'm a D* customer, plan on staying with 'em. As far as a D* rate increase, I could be wrong, but I think I remember it might be announced in a couple months...the "deal" is signed sealed & delivered yet.
By the way, love your avatar.....Longhorn fan laying down....... ;)

Barney

e* has some idea what they will do with the satellite. But, until they have a plan, expect to hear very little about their plans until they are formalized

When is the next chalie chat scheduled?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts