SatMex5 for Baja Mexico

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikeroberson2006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 27, 2007
I have a customer that relocates to Baja Mexico for the winter. They were told that Sat Mex 5 or 6 will work down thier for there .98 Hughesnet Dish with HN7000S modem. I tried to switch their account to satmex5 here in idaho, so they wouldnt have to have the trouble of changing sats down there. I reran registation pointing at satmex5 and signal and cross pol numbers were excellent. When the modem rebooted at the end of registation, it kept on rebooting and acting funky. the power light, lan, and receive light would lite up quickly, then as soon as the transmit light and system light would light up, pow they all when out and kept doing that same cycle over and over again. Tech support told me to replace the modem and radio if needed. Did both and still the same problem. WTF! Called tech support again and they were boggled and had no ideas. I ended up pointing to Horizon and reran registration and it worked fine. Now the customer will have to go through the hassle of switching his account back to SatMex 5 before he gets to Mexico. Unless he will be able to hit horizons from that far south? Any Ideas ?

I swithed it over, but after I re-ran registration on satmex 5 it wouldnt work. The power light would stay lit constantly. The lan and receive light would come on, but right when the system and transmit light would come on it would automatically reboot and keep doing the same cycle over and over again. I called tech support and they had no clue what was going on and suggested that I try a new modem and radio. When that didnt work they suggested switching satellites. So I had no choice but to switch to Horizon and everything worked fine. It is a .98 dish, but the customer will not be able to call tech support if they cant get it to work on Horizon. We are afraid though that if they switch it back to satmex 5 that they will have the same problem with the modem re-booting.

I am confused here and trying to figure out what you mean by "you" changed the satellite assignment.

"You" cannot switch it over by simply selecting a different satellite. The change needs to be made on the NOC's end. "They" have to assign the account to a different sat and then, about 20 min later you can rerun registration on that satellite and get online.

Is that what you did?

Up here by CDA, ID we are Not able to use Satmex5. Not sure where the cuttoff line would be but here and north of here it will not work even though the "footprint" shows coverage. HN tech support should know that. It was a big problem years ago when they made us commission on that sat and was nothing but problems.

Sorry, thats what I meant. I called Hughes to request the change and they submitted it to the NOC and then I reran registration.

I am in southern Idaho, so maybe I was having the same problem that you were having up north years ago. Satmex 5 is what the customer requested me to commision to based on the footprint.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)