Satwork 3688-GI550 integration?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tenderman

Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Pocatello, ID, US
Hi,

I'm new to this. Any help will be appreciated! I have a Satwork ST3688 digital receiver that I currently use to receive a FTA signal. I am thinking of hooking it up to my 12'dish with a C band LNB. The Satwork instructions say to take the LNB signal and pass it thru the 3688 receiver. The General Instrument receiver (an older unit, Innovation 550i VideoCipher) has two coax in, labeled C/H and 18V. Which one do I hook up to the 3688? Or can I just not get there from here?

Thanks
Dave

i take it that your current setup is c-band only , does it actually have two coaxes comming into the gi550 ? also do you know what kind of lnb or lnbf you are using ?

All I know so far, is that the receiver has two coaxes coming from the dish. One goes into a connector that says Ç/H above it; the other is directly below it and there is a line between the two connectors on the back of the case, with '18V' printed on it. The big dish I want to hook to has a C band LNB. I can find the model # if it would be helpful.
I was hoping to pass the LNB signal through the Satwork, but use the GI to control the dish position, because there are still other satllites I need to track, and the GI is already programmed to track them.

Thanks for the quick reply,

ok the reason i asked is this is the way you hook up c-band & ku to the 550
one coax = c ( band)/H the other coax =Ku / V
so its possible that you have one c-band lnb for Horizontal and another for Vertical
or its possible that you have a c & ku lnbf

If you have both c band lnb one H & one V or c & ku feedhorn:
if you are wanting to keep your analog channels ( connected to the 550 ) then you could use a splitter. and then diesqc the two c-band lnbs together with whatever you already have connected to the satworks receiver.

and you don't watch analog channels anymore then no splitter is needed just use the diesqc switch.

the limit here is the gi550 (for using the loop out)
both units have the ability to control the servo power
the gi550 can move the dish
the satworks will need the multiple coaxes diesqced together for them all to work ( or you would have to connect them one at a time when changing) and the gi550 can't understand or decipher the coaxes once they are diesqced together.

lnb model # would help also pictures help :)

and since i didn't mention it before :welcome to the site :)

Thanks!
I do use analog right now. Twice a year we do a GFOA conference for the finance dept. at city hall. That will probably eventually go digital also. I'll bring my camera tomorrow and send some pics, along w/ the model # of everything. Thanks for all of the help.

Dave

550-3688

ok the reason i asked is this is the way you hook up c-band & ku to the 550
one coax = c ( band)/H the other coax =Ku / V
so its possible that you have one c-band lnb for Horizontal and another for Vertical
or its possible that you have a c & ku lnbf

if you are wanting to keep your analog channels ( connected to the 550 ) then you could use a splitter. and then diesqc the two c-band lnbs together with whatever you already have connected to the satworks receiver.

and you don't watch analog channels anymore then no splitter is needed just use the diesqc switch.

the limit here is the gi550 (for using the loop out)
both units have the ability to control the servo power
the gi550 can move the dish
the satworks will need the multiple coaxes diesqced together for them all to work ( or you would have to connect them one at a time when changing) and the gi550 can't understand or decipher the coaxes once they are diesqced together.

lnb model # would help also pictures help :)

and since i didn't mention it before :welcome to the site :)
gasbhere,

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. The LNB on the big dish is a Chapparal C band, part # 140246, 3.7-4.2 G in; 950-1450M out, 65dB. The attached pics are of the 3688 front/back, 550i front/back and LNB back. The upper coax on the 550i says C/H and the bottom coax says K/V.

Thanks,
Dave

Attachments

• 550_front.JPG
    550_front.JPG
    810.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 550_back.JPG
    550_back.JPG
    514.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 3688_front].JPG
    3688_front].JPG
    755.4 KB · Views: 141
  • 3688_back.JPG
    3688_back.JPG
    795.4 KB · Views: 166
  • LNB.JPG
    LNB.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 156
ok pictures show everything :)
your system shows that you have a c & ku band corotor
and your gi 550 which is labled C/H & K/V could do either dual c-band one for H & and on for V and it can also do C-band & Ku so the markings should ( if printed out ) read
C-band lnb / Horizontal & Ku band lnb / Vertical

there are several ways you can just split the coax signal
one is a KIT that one of the sponsors sells

another is by looking at the parts in the kit and getting them locally
should be two hi freq splitters & a diesqc switch

i'm not familure with the satworks so you would have to set it up the receiver for both c-band & ku band ( i find this easiest by setting a sattellite up for each c-band & ku that way you don't have to change the settings all the time) and since your only using the analog channels every once in a while i would let the satworks control the servo (but that up to you)

550-3688 Thanks!

:)Thanks a million!
That's the info I need. If I understand correctly, I think I can just use the old receiver to move the dish to the other positions I need, and the splitters and DiSeqC will allow the DVB receiver to receive the new digital feed. The digital channel (FTA) I am needing is the same bird, same transponder, just switching to digital in June.

Thanks again,
Dave

if the digital channel is the same transponder it should be the same polarity then you should be able to use just one splitter. if thats all you want or you might be able to do it through the loop out of the satworks ( just take the coax from the 550 c/h and put it in the satworks LNB in and run a short coax from loop out on the satworks to the 550 c/h and see if it works) this might be the easiest solution if it will work

the kit or pair of splitters and a diesqc switch would allow you to use the DVB receiver for all of FTA and move the dish with the gi550

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Upgrade from the DSR922 ?

Galaxy 16 C with Primestar?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)