Say Goodbye To Direct Tv!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Harrelson 69

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 10, 2005
On May 11th I am going back to cable. Why? D* prices are not as cheap as they used to be, have to pay extra for HD and 7 HBO channels for $12. I am getting Cablevison's triple play offer. $ 29.95 each for cable, high speed internet and phone for the first year. 11 HBO channels for $ 11.95. HD channnels no extra charge. Even after 1 year this combine package will still be about $ 10 cheaper than D* and Verizon phone. Also AOL dial up for $25.90 to high speed AOL with Cablevison for $10. GOOD BYE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are those cable prices before or after your employee discount?

Competition is a GOOD THING and can only help us ALL in the long run as providers are forced to cut costs. My own local cable company is clueless, however, and not helping in this process.

I find it interesting,that people go back to cable.Then when bad weather sets in,
and their service goes out,then they realize, one of the main reasons,they went
to satellite,in the first place.

Different strokes...
Agreed - competition is the only thing that will drive continual technology improvements and increased/improved content at reasonable (?) prices. (I remember when there was only 1 flavor of cable for $6 per month...and we complained about that...!)

Cable has been very aggressive in offering the "dangling carrot" deals. Comcast offered a nice deal to me, but then I remember they did the same several years ago and when the "deal" ran out, I was left with a huge cable bill. Its what drove me to D* in the first place. Price it right the first time. Its stupid that used-car sales negotiations have to take place with TV providers.

Jhon69 you have it backwards, Satellite TV goes out with BAD WEATHER not Cable. That's one of the reasons that I might go back to Cable. Plus they have "Howard Stern On Demand".

Problem with the cable deal and the SHOCK when the promotion is over, is this. I need Digital cable on 3 sets and HD DVR on 2. That adds 3 more box rental fees, franchise fees, etc, and $9.95 per DVR. At least that is what the Comcast customer service rep told me. With DTV I pay ~ $85 (HBO+TCplus +local +HD Channels + tivo fees+ mirroring fees)

If I go the cable route WITH the promotion I have to pay $29 +20(DVR)+15 rentals thats $65 (without franchise fees and tax), after the promotion ends it goes to around $145 (granted the DC silver has more channels, but I don't watch most of them anyway).

Jhon69 said:
I find it interesting,that people go back to cable.Then when bad weather sets in,
and their service goes out,then they realize, one of the main reasons,they went
to satellite,in the first place.
When bad weather sets in Satellite users know it far sooner than cable users. Hell Sat users know when their is heavy cloud cover. :rolleyes:

That statement right there is one of the reasons I refuse to have anything to do with TWC. That is one of the lies they perpetrate in their advertising.

Heavy Cloud Cover, my ass!!! You know damn well that's wrong. It takes more than just cloud cover to knock out a properly installed dish!! I am in Houston and it takes a really bad RAIN storm to affect my sat service.

vurbano said:
When bad weather sets in Satellite users know it far sooner than cable users. Hell Sat users know when their is heavy cloud cover. :rolleyes:

No cloud cover issues in my system. Heavy rain (or snow) causes some 5-15 minute drop-outs a couple of times a year, and of course we have that semi-annual sun-behind-the-sat. issue...

All I know is when a very heavy thunderstorm is south of me my sat may
pixelate or go out anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes. When I had cable
and it went out it was for hours if not up to a day.

I know this is turning into the weather sucks for dish post, but I have to add my two cents also, as many people who have cable always bring this up for me. The only time with DTV, has gone out with weather, is when there has been heavy lightning and thunder and you know what....When its that bad I usally have that kind of equipment off!!

satjay said:
I know this is turning into the weather sucks for dish post, but I have to add my two cents also, as many people who have cable always bring this up for me. The only time with DTV, has gone out with weather, is when there has been heavy lightning and thunder and you know what....When its that bad I usally have that kind of equipment off!!

Not only off, but it really should be disconnected from both power and dish feeds. But who really does that?

Thats the funny point. I only lose signal once or twice and its definately a time when I shouldnt be watching TV. I should be looking for flashlights and laying low.

Brewer4 said:
Thats the funny point. I only lose signal once or twice and its definately a time when I shouldnt be watching TV. I should be looking for flashlights and laying low.
but what fun is that :devil:

We get some pretty intense thunderstorms(read super cells) here in Texas and I can count on one hand the number of minutes that my satellite has lost signal during those storms each year. Yes, I check weather when these storms hit.

When I had cable, every time it rained, our cable would go out. Not just for minute or so, sometimes for days. Obviously not every cable system is as terrible as my local.

Oh, I can vouch for the total unreliability of TWC here in Houston. I have not had them since I signed up with D* in '98, but they were absolutely terrible then and friends who STILL have TWC say it hasn't changed. Not only that, but another friend has TWC Roadrunner and it is very inconsistent in speed. One day, he is speeding at 5 mbps and the next, dial-up speeds. Techs have been out, but the fault lies with distribution equipment near his neighborhood, and TWC refuses to do anything about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)