SBC Dish Won't Upgrade me to Mpeg 4

spud1962

Original poster
Jan 1, 2006
I called dish network yesterday and they told me since i subcribe to sbc/att dishnet work and not directly to dish network, icant get mpeg4, i pay for the hd pak yet but sbc wont upgrade me to mpeg 4 to get the new hd content, anybody else with sbc dish having this problem?

Did you actually call SBC? You say you only called dish directly. They have some of the updated info on the SBC/Dish website, even mention the upgrade pricing for leasing. But they don't list the new DishHD packages.

They won't upgrade you, I called 5 times and told me the only way was to add a 211 to your account for $99.99 and return one of the receivers you're leasing. I returned the 811, so it's a swap out but they called it adding a receiver and returning one, sigh!.

Well after seeing the who issue with dish itself for the upgrades, I can only imagine how much information was/was not passed to SBC. :)

No, it doesn't. That's just the regular price to install an extra receiver. They don't have the option to do the MPEG4 promotion in their computers yet, at least that's what 5 different CSRs told me.

SatinKzo said:
Did you actually call SBC? You say you only called dish directly. They have some of the updated info on the SBC/Dish website, even mention the upgrade pricing for leasing. But they don't list the new DishHD packages.

It may be awhile, if at all, for MPEG-4 from SBC. The 942 only became available from them a few months ago, and they may want to concentrate on the "Project Lightspeed" offering......

I was able to swap a 411 for my 811 and I am an AT&T Dish customer. I got my receiver installed on Sunday. I was able to switch from AT120/HBO/HD Pak to DISHHD Silver w/ HBO.

I knew the upgrades were coming on 2/1 and wanted to call then, but I had a minor problem with the 811. I called Tech Support on 1/31 and told them that my 811 was dropping my Fox OTA channel (32 in Chicago) for no reason, signal was fine, it would just drop from site and the guide, but in the Local Channels Menu, it was still there. They said it was a known problem w/ the 811 (I had called it in once before as well) and I asked if I could get a new MPEG-4 receiver. They told me to call back 2/1 which I did, called the Tech Support option again and there were notes from my previous call (surprise!). They asked when I wanted them to come swap it out, gave me Thusday or Sunday, took the Sunday option and they came and swapped the 811 with a 411. Didnt ask me for a credit card, dont know if the charge will be on the bill or what?!?!? The tech support option, I believe goes to Dish Network and not AT&T, but they answer the call "AT&T Dish Network" I did take a little patience on the phone, but it worked. Maybe your receiver is having the same problem???;)

Good deal!

I tried at least 5 different CSRs and they all told me that they didn't have the option for the MPEG4 upgrade for AT&T customers. Finally one of them said you could add a 211 for $99.99 and then return the 811 (isn't that a swap?), so I took the offer. It cost me $50.00 more but when I got the 811 back in Nov. it was for free.

I spoke with an AT&T CSR last evening and she told me the 622 upgrade would be available to their subs beginning April 1st for $99 after the rebate. I verified with her it was indeed the 622 Dual tuner HD DVR and she assured me that it was.....

Has anyone else heard similar news??

Got a VIP 622 from SBC!!

Hello everyone!
This is my first post, I just wanted to let you know that after calling 12 times and being on the phone for probably 5 hours total I was able to schedule a VIP 622 install for March 11.
I had to convince the CSR to rework my account to appear "new" to get the upgrade. Apparently after many similar calls like mine they created a workaround.
This does not even scratch the surface as to the headaches to get to this point:
When they reworked the account they accidentally cancelled the service at 8:55PM while I was on the phone. When I informed them of this mistake they were not able to reactivate as the SBC office was closed at 9PM and could ONLY be act. by SBC. Further I was told the install was $449!!! I told them the 299 includes the second dish pointed to 61.5 but they charged my card 449 anyway later. I had to call AGAIN and wait 20 minutes for them to figure that install is included.
Hopefully the install will go smoother than this.

George

I got a flyer today from SBC announcing the new HD channels. It doesn't talk about the new receivers but I would assume that they will begin to offer them soon if they're offering the new Voom, ESPN2HD and Universal HD channels.

glee989302 said:
Hello everyone!
This is my first post, I just wanted to let you know that after calling 12 times and being on the phone for probably 5 hours total I was able to schedule a VIP 622 install for March 11.
I had to convince the CSR to rework my account to appear "new" to get the upgrade. Apparently after many similar calls like mine they created a workaround.
This does not even scratch the surface as to the headaches to get to this point:
When they reworked the account they accidentally cancelled the service at 8:55PM while I was on the phone. When I informed them of this mistake they were not able to reactivate as the SBC office was closed at 9PM and could ONLY be act. by SBC. Further I was told the install was $449!!! I told them the 299 includes the second dish pointed to 61.5 but they charged my card 449 anyway later. I had to call AGAIN and wait 20 minutes for them to figure that install is included.
Hopefully the install will go smoother than this.

George

That's brutal.

Sbc/att

In early February I upgraded to HD for $99,they installed a vip211 and a dish 500 pointed at 61.5. I got the 211 because they wouldn't give me the 622.They took the 311 back and moved my 522 for me. Now I have HD in 1 room and SD in 2 rooms with a DVR. It was all dish network installers that did the installation. It took a while but they did a good job.

Ed..(CT)

Scott Greczkowski said:
THey would rather have you wait as they are getting ready to launch their Home Media Portal which is MPEG4 compatable.

Scott,
I've heard mid-2007 at the earliest for HomePortal in CT. If I can trade my 522 for a 622 for 1 1/2 years I'll do it.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)