SC HD going MPEG4

Satellite Expert

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Plans are to add all new HD channels (after F3 launched early 2007) in MPEG4. DSR505/530 receiver owners will be upgraded via the MPEG4 card slot on their units. No word as to what SC will do with DSR500 and DSR4XX/HDD20X subs

Satellite Expert said:
Plans are to add all new HD channels (after F3 launched early 2007) in MPEG4.

That absolutely sucks. I was under the impression that SC did not play games with the HD signals - but after reading this - and seeing that they uprez the Fox Seattle station from 720p to 1080i, I am really beginning to wonder........

Last edited:
Where did you see this information?

Satellite Expert said:
Plans are to add all new HD channels (after F3 launched early 2007) in MPEG4. DSR505/530 receiver owners will be upgraded via the MPEG4 card slot on their units. No word as to what SC will do with DSR500 and DSR4XX/HDD20X subs

derdude said:
Where did you see this information?

Information given to The Source by Circuit City dealers by SC at their fall sales meeting

# of new HD channels this fall (MPEG2) - 6 (7 if HDNet gets their copyrights in order) 2 will be French

Starting in 2007, all new HD channels added will be in MPEG4 - expect 10 to 12 new HD (as soon as F3 online)

this is cut and paste from another forum. This filtered down from a post by one person and has never been authenticated.

I will inquire as I have friends who work for other dealers like Future Shop if they have received any word on the subject.

I would think that a MPEG 4 move from Starchoice would be precipitated by the same move on ExpressVU's part.

Remember BCE who owns Bell Canada which runs ExpressVU owns Telesat who owns and operates Nimiq and Anik fleet of satellites.

As this usually precipitates discussion that this isn't true here are the facts:

Nimiq ownership: http://www.bce.ca/annual_report/index.php?page_id=11

Anik Ownership: http://www.bce.ca/en/responsibility/economy/indirectimpact/

So in short if going to MPEG 4 I am sure this would be big news as both companies would most likely be heading that direction.

As compression is done at the head end and since Cancom distributes it's signals for both Starchoice and Shaw cable a chnage to MPEG 4 would affect both Starchoice and Shaw cable customers. I doubt highly they will tranmit MPEG 2 to cable end customers and MPEG 4 to satellite.

Just my 2 cents, I could be wrong but until i see a memo it's just specualation circulated as the result of one persons say so.

Kryspy

Considering there are problems with 1080i .h264 and everyone knows it from their CBS and ABC LIL issues (as well as constant remarks about StarzHD not looking that good), this would negate any advantage SC has over BEV in HD in terms of quality (even as BEV down rezs most HD to 720p) imo.

I agree,

Especially since the 9200 came out (942). Not sure how you Americans feel but the 9200 by far is the best receiver for HD and SD quality bar none.

As far as MPEG 4 goes I thought that it was now not such a big deal. I can see ExpressVU going 8PSK shortly as we aren't plagued with the necessity of being forced to provide locals via spotbeam as you are in the US.

8Psk would be more than enough to carry either provider along for some time to come.

Besides MPEG 4 still is just another "compression" algorythmn.

As far as ExpressVU downrezzing to 720p goes; most flat panels are 720 or 768 p native so anything broadcast as 1080i has to be scaled to the display leaving more room for quality degredation IMHO.

Kryspy

Last edited:
Kryspy said:
So in short if going to MPEG 4 I am sure this would be big news as both companies would most likely be heading that direction.
What does method of compression have to do with satellite owner? - Zippo

I doubt highly they will tranmit MPEG 2 to cable end customers and MPEG 4 to satellite.
When Cancom adds a new signal, an additional commercial digicipher receiver is required at each and every cable headend. Be it MPEG2 DCII or MPEG4 DCII model is of no concern.

There was a reason that Motorola put MPEG4 card slot into DSR505/550/530. Perhaps you are unaware how Cancom charges their HD customers. There are 2 ways:
1) Cancom puts up the HD feed and collects a transport fee from every customer
or 2) Broadcaster pays Cancom yearly fee for transponder/uplink/cable end receivers and authorizations thru Motorola. The broadcaster then collects the transport fee. It is certain broadcasters who are anxious for MPEG4 - more transport fees/transponder.

Last edited:
I can't tell you why, but I confirmed this evening that SC is upconverting 720p FOX East and West along with ABC East (they don't have ABC West currently) to 1080i on their HD Channels.

What's interesting is that while most Fox Programs run in the 8s and 9s for video bitrate, they are giving it about 11.50Mbps, so it is actually less efficient than if they ran it unconverted.

Expressvu is also re-encoding ABC and FOX, giving the same 8 and 9Mbps Video bit rate programs 13.5Mbps, but keeping it 720p.

All the talk of needing to go MPEG4, yet they don't use what they have effectively now :(

Satellite Expert said:

If true, for anyone wanting to buy a *Choice system, it would seem better to wait until a MPEG4 receiver is available. Anyone know the date of that new Sat. launch?

Tommyboy said:
What will happen to us that uses a broker in the states to get *C ?

Probably the MPEG4 card for the 500 series would be sent to the address (which you hope the broker actually has access to) and he would forward it to you.

This would be similar to BEV sending out their access cards I assume which the brokers handled in similar fashion.

Expressvu should consider the best codec from MS VC-1 which is Joe Kane approved and is responsible for HD-DVD putting egg on the Betaray face of Sony and MPEG2.

Given that MPEG4 has issues and has resulted in DTV delaying it's launch ( although merger talks with DISH is in the mix ) then it would be a coup for Expressvu to maintain the highest quality pic .

The problem is the equipment is supplied by DISH so there tied to that eventual outcome ...

I think the HD-DVD / Betaray scenario might have then rethinking MPEG4 codec IMHO...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)