Scared to move..talk me off the ledge

sprinklerguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 16, 2003
Hi guys...pondering a move so I can get HD networks...

some have said that after the move they still had their normal locals as well.....I wonder what the odds are that I will still have them so the wife can watch her news...

I am in a tricky area according to antennaweb.org and may not be able to get my locals via antenna...which is why I am worried...

Any thoughts on the odds?

thanks

I've never "moved," so I have no experience, but I don't think the odds of keeping your current locals after a "move" are good.

Would you get HD locals from 129? If so, have you checked out the uplink reports for Ciel-2 that is about to be lit up? There are a ton of new HD locals on that thing. Maybe yours are among them.

I really need it to be "lit up" before the superbowl...having a party at my place....may have to move and then move back.....

some have said that after the move they still had their normal locals as well.....I wonder what the odds are that I will still have them so the wife can watch her news...

I am in a tricky area according to antennaweb.org and may not be able to get my locals via antenna...which is why I am worried...

thanks

These are mistakes on E*'s part. When you "move" to another DMA, the locals on satellite for your actual DMA are deauthorized and instead you will have the locals for the "new" DMA as long as you are in the beam carrying those locals. If you're going to move either pick a market with a spotbeam you're under or one on a 129 CONUS beam. Which sats do you receive?

You're running short of time. Why not stick up an antenna and see whether you can get the OTA stations that way as an insurance policy if nothing else.

I need a large preamp type antenna....I wish it were as easy as just "sticking" one up....

I can get the denver market on 129.....same as my locals will be on eventually.....so it should work....I have an address in Denver....

how long does the move take....minutes like when you add HBO or days?
Thanks

I "moved " to a dma next to me that has Houston hd locals. I also have an Terk 44 ota clip on antenna ( YES, I know there are those who hate terk antennas but it works for me, as I am only 20 miles from all of my broadcast towers) I receive all of my Beaumont locals ota and all guide information for them as DISH carries this market as well on the 61.5 sat. So I have the best of both and all my big 4 networks + Cw in HD from Houston.

I don't mean to threadjack, but I also didn't want to start another "moving" thread!

I, too, am a little concerned about "moving." It's been a long time since I "moved", so I was wondering if you guys could refresh my memory a little. The audio quality on my Terre Haute Fox affiliate is terrible. So, I'm thinking about "moving" to Indianapolis. Would that present any problems for me as far as being able to receive those channels in Terre Haute goes? TH is about 75 miles SSW of Indy, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

I don't mean to threadjack, but I also didn't want to start another "moving" thread!

I, too, am a little concerned about "moving." It's been a long time since I "moved", so I was wondering if you guys could refresh my memory a little. The audio quality on my Terre Haute Fox affiliate is terrible. So, I'm thinking about "moving" to Indianapolis. Would that present any problems for me as far as being able to receive those channels in Terre Haute goes? TH is about 75 miles SSW of Indy, so I wouldn't think that would be a problem. Is there anything I'm overlooking?

There aren't any HD locals for Indianapolis yet if you're looking for HD. They will be on 129W when the new satellite is placed in operation. If you want HD you'll have to move elsewhere. I have no idea whether the Indy SD local spotbeam covers TH but I'll do some research. Indy SD locals are on spot 13 on 110W. TH SD locals are on 119W. According to the spot map for 110W, TH should be within spot 13 so you could get Indy SD locals.

There aren't any HD locals for Indianapolis yet if you're looking for HD. They will be on 129W when the new satellite is placed in operation. If you want HD you'll have to move elsewhere. I have no idea whether the Indy SD local spotbeam covers TH but I'll do some research. Indy SD locals are on spot 13 on 110W. TH SD locals are on 119W. According to the spot map for 110W, TH should be within spot 13 so you could get Indy SD locals.
I'm still strictly SD here, so that will do. Thanks in advance for your help!!

I think it varies. I'm in Erie, PA and am in the spot beam for Cleveland. I "moved" there a while ago and get good signal strentgh for their stations. I'm about 25 miles or so from their closest demographic. Overall it probably varies but I'm able to get Pittsburgh (2 hrs away), Buffalo 1.5 hrs, or Cleveland 1.5 hours from where I sit.

Terre Haute HD locals are in the latest uplink report. It looks like you'll have them when Ciel-2 goes live (or shortly thereafter).

Terre Haute HD locals are in the latest uplink report. It looks like you'll have them when Ciel-2 goes live (or shortly thereafter).
Thanks. But, since I only need SD, I see that Indianapolis SD locals are on Spot Beam 13. Where can I find a map of that?

COMPLETE THREADJACK! :rolleyes:

thanks

99%, you'll lose Colorado Springs locals

thanks

I got my HD TVs delivered today so I called last night to move. I tried chatting but could not get through online. The agent was very helpful and simply did as I asked, no questions. She did tell me that I did not have the right dish and that they were going to have to come out with a new one. There was one second of panic and then I was certain that they were wrong. It turned out that it was a mistake in their records and I had all the right hardware. I immediately had access to the HD national channels but I did not have my San Francisco locals. I checked again this morning and they were not there. I looked online and lo and behold she had set me up with the Dallas locals. I am in the Chico-Redding DMA and nowhere near Dallas LOL. I called this morning and they switched me over to San Francisco and within a few minutes I had the right channels. However I no longer have the Chico-Redding channels, to answer your question. It was really a piece of cake.

Mitch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts