School me on H24s

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mangler88

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
Nc
I'm thinking about buying 2h24's and these arey questions.

1.can I connect Internet wirelessly to them?
2. When it says it has Internet apps what does that mean?
3. Is it possible for me to get DVR service through the Ethernet instead of running another coax to the dish?
4. What are the charges for any of this (I will be really surprised if there aren't any)
5. Since I don't have a SWM dish BBCs are required right?

Thanks, Austin

1. I dont know I havent tried that, im sure you can with a wirless bridge.
2. There are apps you can access by pressing the right arrow on the remote, so long as your reciver is connected to the internet. These wigets allow you to access information like facebook, scores, and other stuff.
3. No, you have to run another line to the switch or dish. If you have an HD DVR then you can do the whole home DVR wich will allow you to access recordings from the HDDVR to h24.
4. There is a charge for installation, if needed and for the whole home dvr service. (its fairly cheap I think around 3 bucks for the WHDS)
5. I think so, I have a SWM setup so I dont need anything hookeup as everything just plays together! And they play nicely! :)

cool!
does anyone know of a wireless adapter i can purchase or do i have to use that power bar that has the ethernet port in it?

if i do have to use that bar could someone explain to me how it works? i will have a router downstairs but not up and i want one of the recievers upstairs

Regarding the HR24 internet connection. Is it possible to split the signal instead of running a separate line to the dish or switch? Split the incoming coax -- 1 to the receiver, 1 to the deca internet device??
Thanks,
Oscar

Split the incoming coax -- 1 to the receiver, 1 to the deca internet device??

Yes, you can. You must use one of those green SWM splitters. You also need to take into account that a splitter will add loss to the run. So depending on how many splitters or how long the cable run is, it may or may not work. What's your current setup?

Professional install late June. I wasn't aware of additional work/hardware needed for internet at the time of order/install. When I contacted directv this past weekend, the CSR told me I could buy the deca connection online and install it myself, but I could never get past the option of $49 professional install. I think I knew more than she did about it in talking her through what I wanted to do. My setup is coax running from the dish to the plate/splitter box on the outside of the house. 2 lines going out -- one to the HR24 DVR living room, the other to HR24 non dvr bedroom, whole whome DVR service. I was hoping to split the signal in the bedroom. One line to the receiver, the other through the deca to the router about 6 feet away. Are the green SWM splitters available at retail stores?

RandallA,
Thanks for the information. Exactly what I was looking for. Have a great day.

1. I dont know I havent tried that, im sure you can with a wirless bridge.

I think this is close to where I am at. I just had DirectTV installed yesterday with 2 h24/100 receivers and want to connect to my HS internet wireless network. Did not know about the "on demand" service and I do have the "whole house" and it works fine. Where would this "wireless bridge" go and if you have any idea where I could find info about it would be muchly appreciated

Daryl:confused:

I think this is close to where I am at. I just had DirectTV installed yesterday with 2 h24/100 receivers and want to connect to my HS internet wireless network. Did not know about the "on demand" service and I do have the "whole house" and it works fine. Where would this "wireless bridge" go and if you have any idea where I could find info about it would be muchly appreciated

Daryl:confused:
x2

x2 means he wants the answer too I think, daryl. But I'm old so I may be wrong ;)

Here's a link to basic info for on demand/internet connection from the D* website to get ya'll started. If you need more info hopefully some of the gadget techies will be along soon with more detailed info.

DIRECTV: Equipment : TV Internet Connection : Overview

haha yeah that means I wanted to know as well. Sorry I thought that was more widely understood than it is apparently haha.

Just a curious question. I assume that a normal splitter will not work for what I want to do. What exactly does the SWM splitter do that a normal splitter does not?

A regular splitter won't work because of the frequency range. These green splitters go froom 2 to 2150 Mhz. The regular cable splitters go up to 1000 Mhz and satellite splitters go as low as 5 Mhz. I also read that there's special circuitry built-in in these splitters for DECA technology. I'm not sure what it is but Directv only approves these splitters for SWM and DECA setups.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)