SciFi channel HD??

Guys, it's just a name...you know, for promotional purpose. Sci-Fi is under no obligation what so ever to stay within the bounds of what you guys have decided to define it as. Now I like the channel, I watch many of the shows, I guess I am a Sci-Fi guy, but to tell everyone what constitutes Science Fiction and what doesn't ....Please.

SciFI does not pretend to show only science fiction (though I do think the discussion of what is, and is not, SF is interesting). On the other hand, I don't want SciFi to show things that get far away from the general idea of science fiction/fantasy. Its not that I worry that wrestling is going to reduce the amount of SF I am actually going to watch. Rather I worry they will just decide to take the shortest road to the highest profit, genre be damned.

For example, there was a time when TLC was The Learning Channel, and actually was focused on education. Then they discovered they could bring in a heck of a lot more money with home decorating and style programming. I don't really care about TLC, but I don't want to lose SciFi to programming almost completely unrelated to the genre.

SciFI does not pretend to show only science fiction (though I do think the discussion of what is, and is not, SF is interesting). On the other hand, I don't want SciFi to show things that get far away from the general idea of science fiction/fantasy. Its not that I worry that wrestling is going to reduce the amount of SF I am actually going to watch. Rather I worry they will just decide to take the shortest road to the highest profit, genre be damned.

For example, there was a time when TLC was The Learning Channel, and actually was focused on education. Then they discovered they could bring in a heck of a lot more money with home decorating and style programming. I don't really care about TLC, but I don't want to lose SciFi to programming almost completely unrelated to the genre.

Agreed. I never knew that they had of all things wrestling in the schedule...

shanewalker said:
...[Heroes]...and it's a comic book series. Fun, but...As some others have said in previous posts--Mind Control, Battlestar Galactica and Eureka are pretty much the only things worth watching (I've given many other things a shot--and they always slip into campy wastes of time).
It's hard to find any show more campy and comic book than Eureka. Just about every science cliche in existence - starting with long equations, and scientists who only invent huge pieces of hardware that use vast amounts of electricity (never anything like acrylic plastic or aerogel) and are always circular - did that start with Stargate ?

Sapient said:
Good science fiction always is about how people are in the here and now. The science fiction setting is just a tool to explore the nature of humanity.
If you read any good science fiction, you'll find it to be more like BG. A lot of adult drama and relationships and only a sprinkling of technology and high concept mis-en-scene to ground it in the genre. The core of the good solid sci-fi stuff is always character development, inner turmoil/soulsearching and timeless human conflicts (Philip K. Dick, Aldous Huxley, William Gibson, Frederick Pohl's "Gateway" series, etc.). It's the fantasy/adventure stuff that's made of gadgets and action sequences ad naseum.
I really disagree with all this. You've left out the core true science fiction which is a third type.

Of course, the adventure SF has always been the big seller - starting with Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon back 70 years ago.

But, the fiction that uses a different time-and-place to allow the writer to explore our own society, only arrived in the late 60's, as part of the general questioning of society.

Prior to that, true high-concept science fiction explored different possibilities. This is admittedly rare in TV and Movies, because it is not very appealing to Average Joe, and so has limited commercial appeal. About the only example I can think of, off-hand, is Babylon 5 - which explores the possiblity of a galaxy filled with truly different alien species (unlike the aliens in all other TV shows and films, that are merely human characters in the bodies of aliens). To its credit, Star Trek occasionally had episodes of this sort of SF, in fact, the show had every different type of SF.

PS Examples of this sort of SF, in novels, would be Robert Sheckley's "Mindswap", Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination", and especially Brian Aldiss's "Cryptozoic" - that explores the idea that human beings perceive time in the opposite direction from its actual direction of travel...

Last edited:
But, the fiction that uses a different time-and-place to allow the writer to explore our own society, only arrived in the late 60's, as part of the general questioning of society.

SF doesn't require a different place and time. I'd say Frankenstein was science fiction, and it most certainly explored human relations. That was well before the 1960's. H.G. Wells's works were social commentary. Jules Verne wrote about human interaction in the form of romance.

I didn't say all science fiction explored such topics. I said "good" science fiction did. This is, of course, subjective. But adventure without relationships or commentary or insight is just not interesting in any genera (to me).

Hey, you guys!

You will never guess what was just on TV.... A one hour documentary about Science Fiction in the movies!!!

It was on 132 TCM and was produced by them. It's called "Watch The Skies".
I recommend you set a "Dish Pass" to record it when ever it is shown again. I just did and it isn't repeated in the next eight days, sorry. But it will most certainly be shown again, sometime.

It featured commentary by George "Star Wars" Lucas, Steven "ET" Spielberg and Ridley "Alien" Scott. And it has clips from almost every SciFi move from the 50s and 60s (limited to this span because that's what TCM shows most of the time.)

And perhaps to head off some criticism this documentary implies a pretty narrow definition of the term but I believe Scifi movies are a more restrictive genere than scifi literature; just as movies are a very limited subset of fiction stores in total.

You've left out the core true science fiction which is a third type.

"True science fiction" is usually an oxymoron. By its very nature anything that deals with the future or simply does not exist cannot be 'true'. Even if its grounded in real science its only a theory. Sometimes the theory turns out to be right. But its often wrong and "theoretical science fiction" is a pretty apt description instead. Either that or 'conceptual science fiction". But I suppose it doesnt have the same ring as saying something is 'true'.

Oh, as an aside and maybe I am wrong, but I heard that transporters were introduced into Star Trek not because it was an ideal of future travel, but because it was too expensive to have them use shuttlecraft. Oh, and dont get involved with a big time Star Trek fan and tell him that warp drive is pure science fantasy. :D

Well, you know 'Sammy003,' that "necessity is the mother of invention." ;)

How many great technologies/gadgets came about because of a near-accidental adaptation to a circumstance...countless.

So while it was a narrative "cheat," the inspiration and the concept is 100% true science fiction.

I want my Scifi HD!!

I want scifi HD. It is a different genre than monster HD and runs a lot of scifi that UNiversal HD does not run, like all the movies.

Bump...soooo....anyone heard anything about Scifi going HD on Dish yet? Still the same montra when I call them..."we have no information at this time about that channell."

Do not call Dish about it. You will see it on here before a Dish csr knows about it.

"Watch The Skies" is scheduled again.

Hey, you guys!

You will never guess what was just on TV.... A one hour documentary about Science Fiction in the movies!!!

It was on 132 TCM and was produced by them. It's called "Watch The Skies".
I recommend you set a "Dish Pass" to record it when ever it is shown again. I just did and it isn't repeated in the next eight days, sorry. But it will most certainly be shown again, sometime.

It featured commentary by George "Star Wars" Lucas, Steven "ET" Spielberg and Ridley "Alien" Scott. And it has clips from almost every SciFi move from the 50s and 60s (limited to this span because that's what TCM shows most of the time.)

And perhaps to head off some criticism this documentary implies a pretty narrow definition of the term but I believe Scifi movies are a more restrictive genere than scifi literature; just as movies are a very limited subset of fiction stores in total.

"Watch The Skies" is scheduled again at 4 A.M. EST/3 CST. It is on TCM like previously.

I take it back. After previously saying that the SciFi channel doesn't have much to offer I saw "DR. WHO." I'm hooked. Would love to see this series in HD. When is DISH catching up with the rest of the world???

I take it back. After previously saying that the SciFi channel doesn't have much to offer I saw "DR. WHO." I'm hooked. Would love to see this series in HD. When is DISH catching up with the rest of the world???
Sci Fi only shows about 6 hours a day of HD programming on Directv, Dish Subs don't want that, Your not missing a thing!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: We'll let you know when they start to play 24 hours a day of HD. Expect a call around 2015. Just keep telling yourselves you not missing anything, and that will make you waiting time fly right by.:D:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)