SciFi channel HD??

SciFi is one of the "upcoming Direct HD channels", so I'm sure there are some plans. I don't really know when they will go live, though. I am guessing that Dish will pick them up pretty quickly once they do go live, though.

Everytime I see the Science HD channel, I mix it up and think its the Sci-Fi channel. Now there is a channel that should be in HD, compared to the history channel and so on with the other HD crap Voom has.

I just got off the phone with dish network and they said that they dont see anything comming up for the scifi channell HD wise...of course the people that answer the phone wont have any information that you cant get from the web site...so they are about useless..

SciFi is one of the "upcoming Direct HD channels", so I'm sure there are some plans. I don't really know when they will go live, though. I am guessing that Dish will pick them up pretty quickly once they do go live, though.

I really have a feeling this is going to be a Direct "fake" HD channel. I think they are just going to take the SD channel feed, upconvert it, and call it HD. I think that is what they may do with a lot of these channels they claim coming to HD, that don't exist and haven't even announced plans for HD feeds yet.

Seandudley,

Let me get this straight you actually believe Scifi is going to be in HD because DirecTv (the DBS company that has been promising hundreds of HD channels for three years now) said they are going to have Scifi HD. Sure, DirecTV will have Scifi HD but not in the NEAR TERM, since it doesn't exist along with the majority of the promised HD additions in their HD list.

If DirecTV provides a channel labeled as Scifi HD in the next few weeks it will be 100% SD 24/7 labeled as HD.

DirecTV can NOT provide HD from a provider that has yet to even have a date as to when they will even offer a HD service.

DirecTV has been playing very fast and loose with the facts. DirecTV signed an agreement to carry Scifi in HD from VIACOM along with numerous other networks before these signals are even available. DirecTV will likely add HD channels as soon as available, but that doesn't mean other providers won't add the very same channels as they become available.

I think a lot of DirecTV subs are going to be REALLY Pissed come the end of September when DOZENS of the DirecTV promised HD channels don't show up in HD. The simple reason is that these channels are NOT YET available in HD from the content owner.

John

When DirecTV announced Sci Fi HD back in January, I actually called the publicity director at SciFI in New York, and she had absolutely no idea what I was talking about - she was shocked that it would even be announced; and while she could have been acting, it seemed genuine.

The Universal Media Village Website - which is where all of the Universal channels have their official media presence, has shown NO indication of SciFI HD at all. The rumor that flies through our site is that Universal will shut down Universal HD and replace it with Sci FI and USA HD channels. And while that would be a good thing, the only thing I can think of that gives me hope of that, is that Universal HD hasn't updated its schedule on their website; they have done nothing but show reruns of movies that they have shown again and again (I mean, come on, who the hell wants to watch Calendar Girl for the third or fourth time :rolleyes: ). But none of the news sites is giving any indication about Sci Fi HD; Futon Critic, Zap2it, TVWeek, Variety, etc...

Dont mean to split hairs with ya but this was in regards to Dishnetwork not direct tv...

Last edited:
Dont mean to split hairs with ya but this was in regards to Dishnetwork not direct tv...

Actually it was a question on when SciFi will be in HD, nothing abuot either provider was mentioned.

And really the only news on SciFI in HD is from the misinformation that D* is spewing that the channel will be added to there lineup.

So, that information is relative to this conversation. No plans have been announced by the network, it doesnt matter what any provider wants to tell you.

so once the network goes live(or announces a date), then the question of when E* will show it becomes relative.

Seandudley,

Let me get this straight you actually believe Scifi is going to be in HD because DirecTv (the DBS company that has been promising hundreds of HD channels for three years now) said they are going to have Scifi HD. Sure, DirecTV will have Scifi HD but not in the NEAR TERM, since it doesn't exist along with the majority of the promised HD additions in their HD list.

If DirecTV provides a channel labeled as Scifi HD in the next few weeks it will be 100% SD 24/7 labeled as HD.

DirecTV can NOT provide HD from a provider that has yet to even have a date as to when they will even offer a HD service.

Well, I did figure that the SciFi HD channel on Direct would probably have a lot of SD content, but I was thinking it would at least be a channel that SciFI was provided, and not just an upconverted channel that DirecTV was making. Perhaps it will just be an upconvert channel for a long time with no actual HD. That would be pretty sad if all their new supposed HD channels are just upconverted SD, but I really wouldn't put it past Direct. I guess we'll know soon enough for sure.

Sean

I'd really like to see D* try to get away with providing a channel like SciFi HD prior to the channel actually launching. I don't think it will happen. There would be an uproar. There is already an uproar about down-rezzing/HD-lite.

While the recently launched channels on E* (TLC, Hist HD) are certainly not HD 24/7, the content is provided by the programmer, not the service provider (E*, etc). I think D* would suffer worse public relations issues going this route than if they miss their timelines for some of their channel launches (100+ HD channels by the end of '07).

I'd really like to see D* try to get away with providing a channel like SciFi HD prior to the channel actually launching. I don't think it will happen.

Especially from the channel itself. Otherwise it will get the brunt any problems or questions about quality of programing. I expect they would get their public relations people to talk to as many people as they could. That would be a black eye for somebody :D

I would like to see HD be launched before BSG comes out. But that goes without saying for so many people.

wow I did not realize that everyone was so passionate about the Sci Fi channell...cant says I blame you cause I am in the same boat...some of the best shows are on the SF channell in my opinion...arent they owned by NBC?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)