SciFi channel HD??

Email Sci-fi

Let's start emailing Sci-Fi to get their S**T together and move to HD. Many Many of there shows are shown on there sister net Universal HD a yr late. So that shows that have the material. Now it is time for them to convert.

Let's start emailing Sci-Fi to get their S**T together and move to HD. Many Many of there shows are shown on there sister net Universal HD a yr late. So that shows that have the material. Now it is time for them to convert.
They'll get there when they get there. Patience.

UNiversal hd should be changed to Sci - Fi hd . Especially since they are showing nothing of value presently but old reruns and old movies . A simulcast of Sci -Fi in hd & or upconverted sd , would be a killer selling point and their viewer numbers would go up over night. There is no need to add another hd channel for the Sci-fi Channel when Universal is already showing some of their shows in hd. Just change the name and " Make it so. "

I'd really like to see D* try to get away with providing a channel like SciFi HD prior to the channel actually launching. I don't think it will happen. There would be an uproar. There is already an uproar about down-rezzing/HD-lite.

While the recently launched channels on E* (TLC, Hist HD) are certainly not HD 24/7, the content is provided by the programmer, not the service provider (E*, etc). I think D* would suffer worse public relations issues going this route than if they miss their timelines for some of their channel launches (100+ HD channels by the end of '07).

It would be an uproar in the forums and other tech circles. Probably about 70% of the folks with this upconverted signal would say "Look at my HD!"...just like they do with the analog cable signals.

Encoragement

They'll get there when they get there. Patience.

If there email box starts getting a lot of messages saying go HD then they will have more reason to so we need to get off our A** adn do something. Not into the virtue of patience on the HD channels. I want them yesterday.:D:clap

If there email box starts getting a lot of messages saying go HD then they will have more reason to so we need to get off our A** adn do something. Not into the virtue of patience on the HD channels. I want them yesterday.:D:clap
If you had to spend the money it takes to get the job done, you'd sing a different song. The only thing you will accomplish by filling up their mailboxes will be making yourself a nuisance. And we all hate nuisances.:D:rolleyes:

The bottom line is that we don't know. We don't know when there will bean HD version of the channel. we don't know if it will be a simulcast. We don't know when either provider will carry it. We don't know if the channel has HD plans. we don't know why it was on the DirecTV list or what it means.

We just don't know.

been there done that

If you had to spend the money it takes to get the job done, you'd sing a different song. The only thing you will accomplish by filling up their mailboxes will be making yourself a nuisance. And we all hate nuisances.:D:rolleyes:

Actually I do know what it takes I'm a broadcast engineer. That works for a TV station that has gone thru the HD upgrades ( & continuing upgrades). :eureka

The bottom line is that we don't know. We don't know when there will bean HD version of the channel. we don't know if it will be a simulcast. We don't know when either provider will carry it. We don't know if the channel has HD plans. we don't know why it was on the DirecTV list or what it means.

We just don't know.

You got that right, WE DONT KNOW. That doesn't mean that the people that need to know don't. We are not the end all here.

Even if UniHD played new SciFi episodes the same WEEK it would make a big difference to a lot of people. I would set my DVR for the HD version, even if it didn't air first. I wouldn't even watch the SD version.

I agree with you dlsnyder. I would do the same.

Me three.

I don't even watch SciFi anymore except for "Mind Control w/ Darren Brown" (that's an addictive little show) and being forced to watch the SD original 'casts of Battlestar. HD is where its at. Universal HD gets more of my time these days because of it--but its all the same to the Vivendi corporate umbrella that owns them both, apparently. It all went downhill when the channel started changing hands seemingly every year...

The problem w/ SciFi (ever since the big Vivendi buy-out of '02), is that they're always nickle-and-diming. For example:

They cancel shows that gets too expensive, no matter if its a quality flagship acclaimed show (i.e. Farscape) and they fill their timeslots w/ self-produced B-grade cheap originals and low-end syndicated re-runs. How Battlestar Galactica managed to get to a fourth season is a miracle worth investigating--but that it won't get to 10 seasons like Stargate or the 'reality' fodder like Ghost Hunters should surprise no one.

These are the same kinds of "brains" that put pro wrestling on G4. Gee-zuss!

The corporate parentage of Sci-Fi gives the channel and the genre's fans little to no respect. Most of their schedule is a laughing stock of cheap-looking schlock and its obvious they are dragging out an HD upgrade because they desire to do everything pertaining to the channel (save the station IDs) on the cheap.

I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
I suspect it's all about the ad revenue. SciFi is in wide distribution, on the expanded basic tier of nearly every cable system and sat provider in the US. Advertisers pay for exclusive slots on the shows that SciFi airs. If UniHD aired the same programs the same day, same week, or even same month, as first run shows on SciFi it would dilute the audience share, and thereby the ad revenue and value of the first run episode. Even though from NBC/Universal's point of view it all goes in to the same bank account, advertisers would be less likely to pay what they were asking for a slot on a first-run episode. That is why, even though I would love to see it, I suspect it won't happen.

Stay the same

I suspect it's all about the ad revenue. SciFi is in wide distribution, on the expanded basic tier of nearly every cable system and sat provider in the US. Advertisers pay for exclusive slots on the shows that SciFi airs. If UniHD aired the same programs the same day, same week, or even same month, as first run shows on SciFi it would dilute the audience share, and thereby the ad revenue and value of the first run episode. Even though from NBC/Universal's point of view it all goes in to the same bank account, advertisers would be less likely to pay what they were asking for a slot on a first-run episode. That is why, even though I would love to see it, I suspect it won't happen.

The ad revenue stream should stay the same if the HD was a simulcast of the SD. The only change would be the $$ that Sci fi has to invest to get The HD stream running.

But your like a pickle....:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)