Scott...help..."Searchsail ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Hey Scott,
Lately when I am on the site...at anytime it seems, especially if I am posting...a page opens titled something like searchsail......well about 75 of them open and it crashes me something awful. Is it coming from SatGuys or is it in my PC. Only comes up when I am on this site ???

spyware

I dont get any popups here...well, excpet when I roll over the word Sadoun and it has the hyperlink :)

Did the Search and Destroy thing...says it's all cleaned up...surf all day...come to Sat guys, go to post here that it seemed to work and BAM 50 windows of searchsail pop up, twice... :mad: I don't know enough about this stuff, but isn't it strange that it seems to only pop up on this site...any other suggestions?? TY

this is a clean site. there has to be something in you cpu doing this to you. this is not affecting anyone else.

FlyingJ said:
Did the Search and Destroy thing...says it's all cleaned up...surf all day...come to Sat guys, go to post here that it seemed to work and BAM 50 windows of searchsail pop up, twice... :mad: I don't know enough about this stuff, but isn't it strange that it seems to only pop up on this site...any other suggestions?? TY

FlyinJ
Trying running Ad-Aware SE ver.1.06. It is free, and can be downloaded at www.lavasoft.com . I use it along with Spybot S&D. Each one seems to find problems that the other one doesn't. I have run ad-aware on other peoples computers where it has found hundreds of incidence's of spyware when the person didn't think there was a problem to begin with.

I also highly recommed a product called Ewido Security Suite (easily googled for), I clean systems every week (part of my job) and I found ewido gets stuff that Adaware and S&D miss, it is not free to keep, but it is good for 14 days during the trial period which is enough to get you clean. I also use a program called Spyware Blaster (also easily googled for) and it covers what the other 3 don't, it is free, and proactivly protects against future infections (that it knows about), it is not a scanner but rather a lock-down tool. Hope that helps. If you have any questions regarding those programs, feel free to PM me.

Thanks for all of the help I am running the AdAware now...so far so good...we shall see...thanks for the help, all of you

As soon as I posted that last one...about 200 (no joke) searchsail windows opened up, took 10 minutes to clean up...Maybe I should just blow this thing up

FlyingJ

Sorry AdAware didn't do the trick. I had a problem where every time I typed a misspelled, or invalid IP address in my browser, it opened the webpage, "1dial.search-results-site.com". It started doing it about 2 months ago. Before that there would be a message on the screen saying the sight can't be found. The website said you could stop the page from loading by clicking on a link, and that a cookie would be put onto my system. That sent up a few red flags in my mind. Why would I have to initiate steps to stop a page from loading that's not supposed to be there in the first place? I entered the address into google and found that other people have had the same problem. I ran all of the spyware programs I had, plus did a virus scan, all with negative results in stopping the page from loading. At any rate I did a little research and found the site is owned by a company called "GoDaddy software" out of Scottsdale, Az.

I entered the the website you're having problems with, "searchsail.com" into a tracking site called "http://news.netcraft.com/", and lo and behold it traced back to GoDaddy software, with an IP address of "64.202.167.129". When I tried to enter searchsail.com, the page was blank except for a "0" in the upper left corner. Thinking maybe the site was really sailsearch.com I traced it and found it also originates from GoDaddy software. I think it is a little strange that all three of these sites are owned by GoDaddy. GoDaddy is a marketing company among other things, but that's the only thing I know about the company.
At any rate, the way I solved my problem was by blocking the IP address with my firewall. That stopped the page from loading.
I don't know which browser you're using, but with all the issues Explorer's having, you might try using one of the others if that's what you are using. I use Mozilla.
twillers

This is really interesting that it only happens when you visit Satelliteguys.us. Nobody else seems to be having the problem.

Have you checked your hosts file? Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and edit the "HOSTS" file with Notepad. The only entry that should be there is "127.0.0.1 localhost". If you see anything else delete it and save the file. Remember to leave the localhost line alone.

Hope that helps. I've seen some trojans and spyware that modify the hosts file, so your browser will always go to their site.

Try taking a picture of these windows when they popup. When I search for Spyware I find nothing marked searchsail at all.

These pages need to be coming from somewhere (and I can assure you they do not come from SatelliteGuys)

If I can see what they look like I may be able to help you track them down further.

RandallA said:
This is really interesting that it only happens when you visit Satelliteguys.us. Nobody else seems to be having the problem.

Have you checked your hosts file? Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC and edit the "HOSTS" file with Notepad. The only entry that should be there is "127.0.0.1 localhost". If you see anything else delete it and save the file. Remember to leave the localhost line alone.

Hope that helps. I've seen some trojans and spyware that modify the hosts file, so your browser will always go to their site.
also, try the 15-day trial of CounterSpy ( http://www.sunbelt-software.com ) and see if it finds any garbage.

LER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts