Status
Not open for further replies.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
In this day and age of website design I tend to notice that it is taking dialup users longer and longer to load a webpage even at 49.2K connection.

In my case it has been taking as much as 1 min or more just to load up Satelliteguys and about same amount of time to switch between forums with all the banner ads etc.

Is there a way to have a low bandwidth version of Satelliteguys but still keep the banner ads etc? I love this site I just hate the time it takes to load. Please don't get me wrong I'm not singleing you out but most websites on the net seem to cater more to highspeed users nowadays. I wish I could get high speed service here in the boonies of New Hampshire. Right now I can't afford Satellite Internet.

Your thoughts
Bob N1WBD
In the bowels of Grafton,NH

No additional ads have been added, and your a supporting founder so the only ads you should see are the ones at the top.

Speed of the system have been VERY good lately (except for our server "issue" which we are working on fixing.)

Hey bob have you tried changing the looks? try satelliteguys classic, or Pda mode and see if that helps you.

Thanks for the tip Stuart I switched to classic mode that cut the load time down by about 1/3 or more!!
Much Better!!

If you have FireFox, you can use it's ad blocker or NoScript plug-ins to speed up things, although some ads do sneak through. I switch them on or off depending if I'm using dial-up as a back-up and to keep my screen reader from crash and burning.

Speed of the system have been VERY good lately...
Did you test it with dial-up ?? That's his point.... That said, I have to wonder what the percentage of dial-up vs DSL/Cable or other "high" speed users is in general nowadays (for any website).

I know IE7 decreased the size of it's cache fairly substantially. They did that, IMO, because more and more people have high-speed 'net access. A large cache was helpful for dial-up users but probably unnecessary for broadband. Some would argue that you're "wasting" bandwidth by re-downloading the same images over and over instead of caching them, but whatever....

Scott,

You mention the "server issue". Is that why I am getting this?

image1.jpg

It's happening on many pages including the main page.

I would have attached the image, but that was one of the links that came up that way.

See ya
Tony

Scott,

You mention the "server issue". Is that why I am getting this?

image1.jpg

It's happening on many pages including the main page.

I would have attached the image, but that was one of the links that came up that way.

See ya
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts