Scott's Thoughts - The Chat, Phones and More!

Why would they care if the second was *not* connected?

Most likely so they can charge the fee if it isn't.

The way to find out about this is to have a dealer ask if there is a fee for a second receiver on an account with a 322.

Just speculating a bit...

Let's assume the average customer has 2 receivers and roughly 10 million accounts exist (for ease of calculation). That would mean DISH collects about $50 million per month in mirroring fees ($600 million per year).

DISH is not profitable enough to even consider reducing/eliminating the fee and dropping that revenue from its books.

justalurker said:
But reporting viewing habits on a subscribed receiver? It's that kind of paranoia that keeps boxes off of the phone line. My viewing habits are none of E*'s business as long as I'm paying for the channels I watch.

That's exactly what they are going to do, it's going to be in your contract that they are doing it.

Dennis

If dropping mirror fees was a priority a whole house solution would have been a major priority years ago.

I know lifting the mirror fee is a pipe dream but, I can bring at least 10 cable customers to Dish if they were to lift those fees. The only reasons they stay with cable is for the local weather channel and having multiple TV's hooked up with no extra charges.
The stock reports seem to dwell on the amount of subs dish has. That would increase the sub rate for sure.
Just a dream.

If they dropped the mirror fees they would just raise the rates to compensate. The lower rates look much better in ads, and a lot of people don't realize there are mirror fees until they sign up.

Dennis

To me it says the 322 and 522 will have a fee if not connected as the PRIMARY receiver, with nothing changing for additional receivers. In fact the recent letters suggest more stringent use of the phoneline rule.

Basically each additional receiver is going to be charged an additional outlet fee no matter what, its just a matter of whether the second tuner in those 322/522 receivers will be charged as an additional outlet fee in which is determined by whether or not the phone line will be connected or not.

Just ordered 322 and DHP

I ordered the 322 yesterday and stated I would be using the second tuner for a second TV. I am not sure we are talking about the same thing, but based on my "order summary" conversation I will not be charged for the second TV connection. The cost of the one receiver is built-in to my Top-50 package.

It does not matter if it is your first receiver or your second receiver, what they are trying to say is that you will be charged for the second tuner as an additional outlet if the receiver is not connected to a phone line.

Example: If you already had a receiver on the account and you wanted to add a 322 you would be charged only one additional outlet fee for both the tuners on the 322 for a total of $5 extra. If you do not have a phoneline connected they will charge an additional $5 for the second tuner in that 322 receiver treating it as two receivers because of the second tuner for the second television (acting as if you had three receivers on the account).

If you were to only have a 322 receiver they would charge you no additional outlet fee unless you had no phoneline connection then you would be charged $5 for the second tuner as an additional outlet (acting as if you had two receivers on the account).

:?: Well what about the poor schmuck like me that unplugs the unit during thunderstorms. I have been plagued with burnt equipment several times and I do the ritual every time I hear a rumble. I've had Tripp-Lite replace several surge protectors and they even had to pay for my computer twice.

If they wanna charge me, then I will fight it or let them bring me a new PVR every time mine gets scorched.

anim-lightning.gif

The phoneline is the most likely cause of a surge to a satellite receiver. I done experienced that myself once and didnt connect phone lines since.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)