Screaming Black Screen of Death after L356 on a 622

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 2, 2003
I had my 622 installed last Tuesday. It was working about like I expected, a reboot here and there, audio sync issues on ABC LIL out of KC. But I figured they would be solved eventually. Then L356 comes along. Audio sync seemed to be fixed, no problems for the first few hours but then I get the SBDOD for the first time Saturday evening and 2 more times before bed. Then I get the same 3 different times yesterday and once already today. I have had 3 different recorded events screwed up because of it ( the last one was Grey's Anatomy, Wife is VERY Displeased).
I called D*** and expressed my concerns about my now almost useless receiver and they told me that since there was already a Service Call scheduled for tomorrow(when they switched me to a Dish1000 from my Quad500 they hooked my Kitchen receiver to 119 and 129, great work huh?) they would take care of it then. I do not undersatnd how any Field Tech will be able to fix a software issue in a receiver. And even if he replaces the 622 with a new one it will probably do the same after it updates. Frome reading the L356 thread it would seem I am not alone.
At least when I lived through the early days of the 811 I had a 510 hooked up to my Home Theatre system to still be able to use it. I now do NOT have that ability and it kinda pi**e* me off. Thanks Charlie

The early 811 days were really bad, but after about 6 months it got pretty good.

I don't know how that a software update can make some better, some worse, if they are all suppose to be built with the same parts.

I witnessed the SBSOD last night during grey's anatomy also... and several other times during the evening.

You were right on the money with the fixes, since L356 the audio synch seems a lot better and the reboots with screaming noises and then 3 minutes of silence seem to happen a lot more.

TW

They're back.................

Sorry to report but I had various audio drop outs on the Voom channel I had recorded Sunday. I notice this happens more on dolby digital sound than regular pcm sound. I thought I had traded the audio drop outs for the video stuttering on ALL channels different times a day , but NOOOOOOOOO!!!! I have the audio drop outs again and the video stuttering . Two for the price of one. Oh and let's not forget the screamming black screen of death.

Can it get much better than this?:rolleyes:

Just an update, it has not had the SBSOD since this morning and from what I understand has been on all day. I am now doing a test. It seems to me I have read where some with the 811 and other HD receivers since while having audio sync issues with the DVI or HDMI cable have not had the issue when changing to component instead. I just changed mine and have to admit I do not see the difference on the FOX HD local feed, daughter is watching Prison Break. I will do some further checking when that is over.

[edit]
Spole too soon. 5 minutes after posting it had another SBSOD. I did check the PQ on some of the HD channels and I cannot tell the difference between the DVI/HDMI vs the Component but it did seem to cure my ABC audio sync issue. At least as far as I could tell watching Super Nanny. I also figured out that if you just leave it alone after the SBSOD it will eventually reboot itself. My Wife had set it to record Grey's Anatomy again on the West Coast ABC we get and it ended up in 2 parts with a few minutes missing.

Last edited:
Update, tech came today and much to my surprise said he had already ran into this SBSOD. He then turned off the 4 hour auto setting and said that would take care of it. I was skeptical but I have to admit it has not hiccupped since and that was 8 hours ago. If someone else who is getting the SBSOD wants to try and see if it helps them, I would love to see the results.
So far so good here.

What is the 4 Hour auto setting?
OOPS, sorry. I meant to say the auto-shutdown setting that is set at 4 hours by default. You get there by the steup Main Menu then Preferences then Inactivity Standby then set to "disable" Don't kow why it helped but it did. All the crashes before were random times not at 4 hour intervals. But can't argue with success, not one crash since disabling this feature.

I disabled that setting the first day I got the receiver (last Thursday) and I've had the SBSOD since then.

I would get the SBSOD's with L355 but not a lot, since the L356 the audio synch is much better but the 622 SBSOD's a lot more now, even with the setting for auto-shutoff disabled.

Well, back to the drawing board. It did it again this AM according to my Daughter. It did finally reboot itself after 3 minutes. I had never waited to see what happened before, I had always rebooted it when it happened. I guess it is time to call Dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)